Dublin

Helme

Resident Freddy
So, I've been searching for a job lately and it seems my best chances by far is Ireland, especially Dublin(do people actually live outside Dublin in Ireland btw?)

I have a few questions:
*How is the town - as in, will I get knifed down by chavs by walking down mainstreet? are people friendly in general and so on - does it differ much from other towns in Britain, or even better in Sweden?
*How is public transportation? buses/trains/subways? how cheap/effective are they?
*What are the average living costs, big town ridiculous or small town cheap?

This is just a few points I want to consider before applying for the position, more might come up while I consider it further..

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
So, I've been searching for a job lately and it seems my best chances by far is Ireland, especially Dublin(do people actually live outside Dublin in Ireland btw?)

I have a few questions:
*How is the town - as in, will I get knifed down by chavs by walking down mainstreet? are people friendly in general and so on - does it differ much from other towns in Britain, or even better in Sweden?
*How is public transportation? buses/trains/subways? how cheap/effective are they?
*What are the average living costs, big town ridiculous or small town cheap?

This is just a few points I want to consider before applying for the position, more might come up while I consider it further..

Transportation is fine, but like everything else in Ireland - it's expensive. People are perhaps over friendly, if you are looking for a few moments peace in a pub, forget it. That's not gonna happen, go home. It's ridiculously expensive as in a place to live. Was at an interview for GOA some time ago and there was some renumeration in the wages to compensate for living there. It's as bad if not worse than living in London expenses wise. Great town though, nice people. Chavs? Err nah, but just keep your politics and religion schtum and you'll be fine. Most peeps live outside of Dublin due to it being a bit cheaper although not much. Euro is way over inflated atm, so expect to pay almost twice as much for a beer as you do in the UK. Otherwise it's fine. Oh and don't be so sure of your chances, I believe workwise, it has been very cut throat where work has been concerned. They hire and fire just as bad as anyone else - if not worse. Just check all your options first before making a possible mistake - just be sure ;)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I`ve been in Dublin twice and I love that place. Stood there with an open map for no longer than 20 seconds, before someone asked me if he could help me. It´s a very friendly place, although it´s expensive (like Imgormiel said).
On the other hand, they broke up our car in Dublin, but that was our own fault. We left it standing there with all the luggage inside.

Helme

Resident Freddy
The jobs im looking for aren't really in the normal UK workmarket(they are specifically Swedish tech support, located in Ireland - not many Irish people speak Swedish..)

I'm going to have to investigate the pricedifferences abit, but seriously I'm not that worried - Sweden slaps a 20-30% tax on everything and calls it a day so it can't be much worse.

Thanks for the replies btw!

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
The jobs im looking for aren't really in the normal UK workmarket(they are specifically Swedish tech support, located in Ireland - not many Irish people speak Swedish..)

I'm going to have to investigate the pricedifferences abit, but seriously I'm not that worried - Sweden slaps a 20-30% tax on everything and calls it a day so it can't be much worse.

Why not take a weekend trip there first and check it for yourself? Flight from Sweden to Belfast/Shannon will only be a couple of hours at best. Flights are usually quite cheap, but that's the only thing that will be cheap about it :( But at least you will have fun ;)

Lethul

FH is my second home

Talk to Shadowz on irc. He is working as swe tech support in Ireland for IBM i think :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
Talk to Shadowz on irc. He is working as swe tech support in Ireland for IBM i think :p

I'll do that, IBM is actually one of the main jobs im checking out. Thanks!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Dublin is similair in prices to London these days so definately not cheap, it is a much nicer place to live though and the people are 100,000,000,000* times friendlier.

I am off there at the end of September for a couple of days thanks to £14 flights with Ryanair, can't wait! :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just be sure to watch out for Fat Irish Gangsters!

434736.jpg

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Dublin is similair in prices to London these days so definately not cheap, it is a much nicer place to live though and the people are 100,000,000,000* times friendlier.

I am off there at the end of September for a couple of days thanks to £14 flights with Ryanair, can't wait! :D

Expect a bumpy flight :/ My return home one from Shannon was full of turbulence and the frikkers didn't even say anything about it....won't be flying with them again ><

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i live in dublin moved here about 3 months ago and loving it, nights out are awesome but dont be suprised at paying €4.50+ for a pint (which at todays exchange rates is bloody pricey, trick is to find places with special offers! like pubs with 4 pint pitchers for €10), rent prices have come down a lot in the last year and especially in last few months so not too bad when finding places to live unless you specifically want to live in the city centre or parts of the south side :p

transportation is not bad but bear in mind that Dublin Bus (ive not had any dealings with Bus Eirann yet) can be either 100% on time for weeks on end then 3 days in a row the bus wont show at all, and at the moment they are pretty much ignoring any complaints, cause last time they followed through and suspended a driver all the drivers went on strike for 4 days and caused huge distruption :p

in the city itself theres trams all over the place so thats quite handy :)

you'll only really have problems with chavs/dangerous people if you go into the wrong areas, and people will usually be quite happy to let you know what areas to avoid, but as long as you're sensible and dont wander around a crack den in the middle of the night you should be ok

edit: just saw your thinking of IBM, they are in the building next to me hehe so you'll be in my area , prices here range from €200 for a small single room (monthly) to €1000 for a one bedroom apartment, up to you what you are looking for though, check out www.daft.ie or www.rent.ie for more of an idea :p

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
haha yup someon from irealnd here not from dublin, guess i cant really put my own country down but i think dublin is an alrite place id imagine its much like a slightly less busy london. Average rent here in Galway where i live is about €300-340 a month but id say in dublin youd be adding atleast another 100 to that. Night life is pretty good and like someone else said its all about finding whos offering cheap drink on what particular night. There are scumbags here in Ireland, lots of what you would call pikeys because they come from here after all :p but if you stay clear of areas like tallaght, parts of finglas, ballymun and that youl be fine. In the city itself its the same as any other place. If theres anything else about the country itself i havent answerd just ask and ill tell you if i know...ill give my cousin a text shes lived in dublin for about 6 years now she can tell me exact rent prices.

Helme

Resident Freddy
5 euro for a beer isnt really that shocking to a swede, actually think it might be cheaper than here....

thanks for the info guys!

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Having worked for IBM for 7 years, meh... depends where you are working.

Which area would you be working in?

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Contractor through Manpower.

Ahhhhhh, then expect to be treated poorly then. I started as a Contractor for Adecco back in the day, terrible.

You working as a Service Engineer I take it?

Helme

Resident Freddy
Ahhhhhh, then expect to be treated poorly then. I started as a Contractor for Adecco back in the day, terrible.

You working as a Service Engineer I take it?

No, simple tech support - I'm trying to make my first move into working life so tbh, I couldn't care less if I get treated poorly at the moment - I've spent almost a year and a half trying to get a job but getting turned down because they want "recently graduated people with 3+ years work experience" however that works out.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
No, simple tech support - I'm trying to make my first move into working life so tbh, I couldn't care less if I get treated poorly at the moment - I've spent almost a year and a half trying to get a job but getting turned down because they want "recently graduated people with 3+ years work experience" however that works out.

IBMs graduate program might still be running, might be worth a shot trying that if you have the qualifications. I know a lot of the current IBM group in the UK came from that background. Slow progress any other route, very very slow. IBM'ers have little thought for Contractors as there is a mis-conception they are paid more, which isn't always the case.

Hope it works out for you in Ireland, if you do work for IBM one thing worth checking is positions in other centres, I moved pretty quickly once I knew where to look and what to do. There are always internal vacancy's places, even for Manpower/Contractors, it just takes longer is all.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Ofcourse I plan on moving up as soon as possible, I just need to get my foot in the door and have some proper thing to put on my CV and say "I did this".

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Ofcourse I plan on moving up as soon as possible, I just need to get my foot in the door and have some proper thing to put on my CV and say "I did this".

I just don't want you to get disappointed, its easily done when IBM and such offer you a job. I know I was chuffed to bits, but good luck where ever you go.

Commandment

Fledgling Freddie
what part of sweden are you from? ive found gothenburg very simular to galway\dublin price wise. all tho a word to the wise, they dont give pizza salad with pizza's in ireland :( other than that, you'll have a blast, the culture change should be fun for you, im moving to sweden in september and ill miss the 'craic' alot

Helme

Resident Freddy
I'm from Uppsala, abit north of Stockholm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom