Dublin

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This summer, Dublin, maybe.

Recommendations on:

Where to stay, what to see, what to avoid, general advice.

Thanks.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bloke's weekend? With the missus? Splashing out or on the cheap? I'll stand you a pint if you're staying central

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
With the missus, reasonably priced, and good idea!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
There are loads of special offers being advertised here at the moment (for obvious reasons), some of the best are from D4 hotels. They tend to be slightly away from the town centre in Ballsbridge or Donnybrook but that's no bad thing as these areas are really nice (think Kensington instead of Oxford Street) and the town centre is still pretty close (10 minutes by cab).

Things to do; Temple Bar obviously. Total tourist trap but you can still get a good pint and its worth doing once. Guinness Store House. I did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago; its worth it for the building design alone but you also get a free pint and the best view in Dublin at the bar at the top. Dublin castle and the Viking museum; both good, both close to each other. Phoenix park. Largest city centre park in the world; really nice for a picnic and there's a place to hire bikes near the entrance (good ones too, not the usual boneshakers, but still cheap) to help you explore.

A bit further out I'd recommend heading out to Howth harbour; good place for lunch if you like fish, and you can do a speedboat tour from there or Malahide (you can get to either place on the DART local train) and watch the seals. Finally, see if you can get tickets for a GAA game.

Word of warning about eating out, especially on Saturday night, book ahead if you want to go somewhere nice. Even in the current climate the good restaurants are always booked up an the weekend. Let me know what kind of thing you like and I can recommend a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom