Dual logging DAoC

br1te

Loyal Freddie
I know this would maybe better off in the hardware bit, but the forum is dead anyway and probably applies to more people that will read here.

I am dual logging DAoC atm with main account in 1680 x 1050 and buffbot in windowed 800 x 600 and at times when roaming into agramon or coming up to a really heavy zerg then the FPS lag is rediculous. Changing the main resolution down to 1400 something has improved it slightly, but is annoying when alt tabbing between desktop because it has to change resolutions and thus takes a lot longer so id prefer to keep it at 1680.

Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
2.4Ghz Intel quad core
ASUS 7900GTX 512MB
2GB DDR2 (800Mhz)

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with the FPS lag and whether an upgrade would help. Was thinking a trip to scan and get 4GB of DDR2 would cure the problem as 2GB is quite low by todays standards but would like to hear whether this will help before i spend my monies or whether its just down to DAoC being poorly coded. The other cheapish option is to get another ASUS 7900GTX off ebay and dual gpu.... but with my motherboard id need to mess around with cooling as the slots are really close together and i cba :p

OR

If anyone knows of a cheap laptop for around £200 (preferably less!) that could run a buffbot then that would be cool :) Then could do some frapsing :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'd say both options.

2GB of RAM is too low, the client will easily eat up between 1.0-1.5GB of RAM, that isn't going to leave much for the rest of your system even if you shut down all other processes. This is certainly the first thing to update.

That graphics card is looking a bit old. You may get away with just a memory upgrade, but you probably won't.

Make sure you've also got /clientsleep background set.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Im on:
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4Ghz
3 Gb DDR3 (800mhz)
Nvidia Geforce 9800GX2

at 1920 res on both acc with clientsleep off its not even a hint of lag.

Our system isnt so much different. I guess 1-2 gig of ram would sort it out
p.s I had a Geforce 8800GTS(640mb) before and it was identical

br1te

Loyal Freddie
Aye thought as much, and yeh i have clientsleep on and everything else closed down and the buff bot window minimised when on main account which helps some also.

Think the graphics card is still up to the job. Cost me £320 4ish years ago, runs everything ive tried in max settings although ive not tried crysis a mate lent me yet.

Initially bought the RAM intending to get 2GB more soon after as id just upgraded m/b and cpu, but as i didnt really know why id bothered to upgrade my PC anyway and never used it i just never got around to it. So looks like its a trip to scan on saturday!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yeah it is the memory, my old system was very close to yours and the memory was causing the exact same problem. Jumping to 4gb sorted it, funnily when I went up to 8gb I got crashes and lag galore.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Yeah it is the memory, my old system was very close to yours and the memory was causing the exact same problem. Jumping to 4gb sorted it, funnily when I went up to 8gb I got crashes and lag galore.

32bit OS?

buffswithlove

Loyal Freddie
im not that much loaded on nerd talk to xplain you how to do it.. but what helped me on laptop is just i run both accounts on diffrent cores.. just ctrl alt del take manager - tweak settings and off we go some simple stuff i think but those do help me out. and ofc clientsleep etc + i keep all accounts same resolution as my windows desktop so its faster to alt tab etc atleast for me worked.
worked allso with my old comp what used to be like 286intel and 5900fx 2gb ram and no problems.

br1te

Loyal Freddie
im not that much loaded on nerd talk to xplain you how to do it.. but what helped me on laptop is just i run both accounts on diffrent cores.. just ctrl alt del take manager - tweak settings and off we go some simple stuff i think but those do help me out. and ofc clientsleep etc + i keep all accounts same resolution as my windows desktop so its faster to alt tab etc atleast for me worked.
worked allso with my old comp what used to be like 286intel and 5900fx 2gb ram and no problems.

tried that tonight and seemed to help so cheers :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
way to low ram get 4gig minimum if you want to dual log without lag issues, new cpu would be nice aswell if thats the intel quad core i'm thinking of (8200) its a pile of arse.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
As said, ram is what will make the biggest difference. Its pretty cheap these days for a couple of 4 gig sets, or just the single 4 gig set. With a 64 bit OS you may as well get 8. I can run 4 accounts all /stuck on the one machine no problems with 8 gig.

hibblet

Fledgling Freddie
running a old horse of a pc here due for the knackersyard,

intel 3.20 D p4 (old and solid)
gforce 8600 gt 1gb
4 gb ddr2

built it about 3 years ago,

can still dual log at 1650x1050 np just a bit laggy in keep takes.

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
With 2 more GB of RAM you should be fine. I am running as well win 7 x64 on 2Ghz dual core cpu, asus 9800 gtx 512 and 4 Gb ram (800) and i dont face lag.

lpep

Can't get enough of FH
No probs with lag here but getting cheesed off with qbars going tits up,only seem to happen in the mornings for some bizzare reason

hibblet

Fledgling Freddie
No probs with lag here but getting cheesed off with qbars going tits up,only seem to happen in the mornings for some bizzare reason

had the same prob a fewtimes, i heard its a known bug loads are complaining about,

for emergencys i copied my whole file /roaming to use if it happens again i hope it will work, got all qbars etc in there for all chars i have.

Ixnay

Can't get enough of FH

This is getting proper on my tits, 3 diff chars yesterday morning, qbars getting fucked up on zoning.

Stasi

Loyal Freddie
As said, ram is what will make the biggest difference. Its pretty cheap these days for a couple of 4 gig sets, or just the single 4 gig set. With a 64 bit OS you may as well get 8. I can run 4 accounts all /stuck on the one machine no problems with 8 gig.

How you do that? i get a message that i cant run more than 2 on one machine...:lol:

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH

Same bug. got it plenty of times. Also got it last night together with my bot having 214 killing blows and around 70K Rps. ^^ which ofcourse wasnt the case

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
He wants to run a buffbot for each pet imo, that's what this is really about.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How you do that? i get a message that i cant run more than 2 on one machine...:lol:

On win 7 (and I assume previous versions) run a task manager, its not the standard one, its a bit more advanced, though I can't remember what its called, though it is an official MS one. On there you can go into the processes that are running for DAOC. One of them is a mutant (its a process type afaik) called DAOC/1 or something like that. If you close that along with the mutant on the 2nd instance of DAOC, which will have a mutant called DAOC/2 you can then run more than 2.

Its not something you can script with like HKN (now banned software) but its handy for loading an AF bot in, or a ment bot for example.

br1te

Loyal Freddie
He wants to run a buffbot for each pet imo, that's what this is really about.

haha :) i manage to fully buff myself and the lich and dex/qui dex for the casters (providing no gimps are leeching buffs :p) so thats enough :)

Will have to see about running a BG/DI bot :p But around 1000 kills for solo title so i want that :p

Saw you running away on agramon bridge last night mael, didnt manage to get a hug in :( might be around some solo tonight :)

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah I agree- 4gb is needed to do this properly, but tbh you can't beat having a second machine with it's own screen, even if it is a bit of a dog. DAoC isn't particulerly demanding, so a relatively low spec machine will do for a bot account. It makes life so much easier especially for farming.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Saw you running away on agramon bridge last night mael, didnt manage to get a hug in :( might be around some solo tonight :)
It was pretty good night night despite the whine on VN atm. In 5mins 2 mid grps buzzed past when fighting stuff on aggroman crossign nr the water, you was in one of these?..a 3rd one decided to frag me although.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Laptop + Desktop whilst running Input Director is excellent. Means I can switch from Laptop to Desktop via a keybind which saves time buffing or healing on a pve encounter etc.

Also if anyone finds the alt machine goes mental on Synergy when you mouse pan, Input Director does not suffer this.

br1te

Loyal Freddie
added 2gb to make 4gb tonight and was smooth as anything :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom