Dual ADSL

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
So a company that im doing some IT maintenance had a massive problem as our local exchange had a problem that left them without broadband for a week.... I jerry rigged a 56k modem so that the email server and some computers could have internet connectivity but i've now been asked about getting an additional line adsl activated.

What i want to know is best ISP for business (im thinking bt as they'll fix their customers problems first over other ISP's)

Plus from what im gathering i would need to get a router that has dual ADSL capability if thats possible...

personally i can see lots of problems occuring from this and even though it was slow the 56k modem worked. however im being asked to do this and though i would ask your opinions on it.

Small office 10 users, one mail server, on application server, with a vigor router attached to a patch rack and a couple switches.

Personally i would dump all the fake* servers, get a proper server from dell or someone with a windows 2003 server small buis OS with license for 12 people. all computers have XP pro so would then have all the data stored centrally where proper back up could be done and roaming profiles. But no one listens to me, so i'll just do this till i get another better job down the line :p

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
If the problem was at the exchange a 2nd ADSL line would have also gone down ?

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
yes...... but still they want it... i've explained this... *gives up* I think the logic is that because the isp we use at the moment hosts the web site, does the email ms records etc they don't want to change. just want a BT line so that they can get BT to act faster.

Weird logic i know, it works *nearly* fine now. Maybe i can delay them enough to forget this problem. But if not info on the above would be great or* what do think would be best. Im either thinking convince them to stick with the 56k or we get an ISDN line sorted

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Fine :)

Id go with Nildram, used them for my home connection since the early days of the internet. Their support line treats you with respect as a fellow techy and doesn't plainly ask you to reset routers when things get disconnected.

I'd also rate the service of smaller companies over the giants of BT (after all they are trying to keep your business) Nilly also had some dual adsl channel bonding service a while ago - not sure if thats still active with 8MB ADSL now.

---

Edit: nice ninja editing <grin> Id still rate a smaller company over BT for service any day.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Is this the router (http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html)

If so, we have these at all 30 of our stores and as well as their ADSL connection there is an ISDN backup. Slow as fuck it the ADSL goes down, but at least it keeps them connected.

Also, it wouldn't mean a change of ISP or anything. Just a seperate telephone line to plug the ADSL in, leased from BT.

Nice and simple and quite cheap to.

RETP are an excellent company that I've had dealings with in setting up this kind of system. Takes all the work away from your, their rates are competitive and their staff can actually tell the difference between ADSL and ISDN.

Something that always helps :)

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600plus.html

the 2600 version, they seem to be very good routers/ADSL modems. And yes it does have an ISDN, currently the ISDN lines are being used for the phones. What i will see is if we can get another couple added for data in which case it would make things easier. I was told that there have been problems where the ISDN cuts in a bit too long etc etc. I just said "well do it manually then" but avast that never seems to go down well "everything should be automatic".. my arse... like that every truely works with IT.

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
You could try a search for cyclone. They make a £150 load balancing ethernet wan router that works ok. you will still need another dsl router but the cyclone box will failover or load balance. i think it will even load balance on traffic type, so you can retrieve email from one wan connection and http from another etc. If you can get an alternate dsl connection form an LLU operator then all the better as you wont be reliant on BTs adsl platform.

Check out samknows.com for LLu operators.

cheers

Lester

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom