dsl0r

• Thread starter Testin da Cable
  • Start date
T

Testin da Cable

I will be getting dsl soon as I'm sick of chello, my cable isp. They haven't really been doing anything wrong lately, but due to past idiocy I've lost all confidence in them.
It's going to cost though, as I do everything via cable. Anyhoo, once it's been done in [I hope] three weeks or so I'll be on cloud nine. I'm expecting a week of offlineage though :(

D

Dial-A-Rez

You could run the two concurrently for a month and stay online, its not going to cost that much more.
xDSL installations are prone delays and even if the ISP says your exchange is enable you yet fail the line test.
Even then, assuming everything goes according to plan you may find teething troubles geting your machine(s) connected to the 'Net via the DSL link.

My advice would be not to throw the baby out with the bath water and keep your cable connection until you are 101% confident you can run your existing setup via the DSL line.

T

Testin da Cable

yeh, well I'm calculating three weeks extra time for the whole thing. I've just ordered the phone line to be installed on the 19th, while the dsl can only be ordered after the line has been installed.
[installed meaning that someone in the phone company double-clicks a pictogram with my addy on it heh]

Y

~YuckFou~

I'd stick with cable. Especially for online gaming, all the cable guys have 30/40 ping, the adslers' seem to be 60/80 generally.

2c
in
put

:)

E

Embattle

Yuck, Cable here is a lot better than in other countries, DSL tends to be better in other countries than Cable and Chello is the big suckor.

O

old.Jas

I've just moved and have got cable (NTL), I used to have ADSL (BTo) - download speed seems better but ping is slightly worse I have found

Y

~YuckFou~

Originally posted by Embattle
Yuck, Cable here is a lot better than in other countries, DSL tends to be better in other countries than Cable and Chello is the big suckor.

Bloody foreigners :)

S

Scooba Da Bass

Bollocks is ping worse, I'm on BTO (Who are generally acknowledged to be shite) and I ping 20/21 on the BW servers rising to 30 at the worst of times

W

Will

It's can vary from user to user, DSL tends to give slightly more range of ping, but the upload being twice as fast balances that out for me. I've gone for cable for one very good reason...

...it's totally free.;)

T

Testin da Cable

did I mention that the dsl I'm getting is 7,5Mbits worth of sweetness?

:D

W

Will

No. Are you going to now then, and turn us all green?

T

Testin da Cable

I should move to denmark. The word is they get 10Mbit up there...the cunts :)

btw, it's 7.8 Mbit to be precise ;)

S

Shocko

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
I should move to denmark. The word is they get 10Mbit up there...the cunts :)
That and Danish bacon? :eek6:

E

Embattle

did I mention that the dsl I'm getting is 7,5Mbits worth of sweetness?

:D

How much that costing you silverfox?

M

.Moriarty.

mmm iirc 110 euro per month.
It costs 110euro per month for 512/128k ADSL here in Ireland. And thats with a 3gb/month download cap. Sweet, eh?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

T

Testin da Cable

gotta love it heh

still not installed btw :|

X

xane

Anyhoo, once it's been done in [I hope] three weeks or so I'll be on cloud nine.

I thought they went bust from a DDoS attack ? :)

T

Testin da Cable

nah: that was me getting the prices down ;)

O

old.Jas

All this talk of ADSL vs Cable - surely the difference is so minimal (10-15ms)that nobody can notice.

As long as there is no packetloss of course.

W

Wilier

China = Internet heaven :eek6:

Who would have thought. Its their next step in taking over the world. Think about it, they have infiltrated every city, town and village in the country.

Still, at least I know where my next house purchase will be.

X

xane

Well its ethernet based in China to force you through the government firewall, which basically filters out around 90% of the web :(

S

Shocko

What's the point in going to China for uber-1337 broadband, and then having to surf the web via a proxy ~100ms away, that proberbly has less bandwidth than you? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom