DSL Router/Modem Recommendations

A

Athan

Ok, moving into new flat soonish, can't get cable so it'll be DSL. Probably going to go with Nildram for that.

Hardware-wise, I looked at PCI Cards, but even though some are supported in linux the kernel modules haven't been updated since kernel 2.4.16, and we're now on 2.4.20, so not inspiring much confidence for them being kept uptodate.

So, a DSL router/modem. Two requirements here. 1) Cheap (under £100 inc. VAT), 2) Must be able to do some sort of 'half-bridge' mode which makes the WAN IP become assigned to a real machine on the LAN instead of on the router/modem. This means I can happily do my firewalling on my linux gateway/server and not have to muck around with PPTP or similar.

Looking around elsewhere the Conexant AMX-CA61E (or CA64E, but I can't seem to find those for sale) support the half-bridge mode, and dabs do them for £58.75 inc. VAT.
Anyone got any horror stories about these?

Someone mentioned Alcatel Speedtouch. I'm google'ing around to see if they can do half-bridge, anyone know already if it can, or at a stretch how to get them to play with PPTP to achieve the same thing ?

-Ath

W

WPKenny

The connexant is the same as I have and it's fine. No probs at all.

Users who are viewing this thread