Dragons of Foriegn Shadow

S

SSpepe

This is one of my first short stories. It's a great read imo and one of the best I have spent time on. It was mostly written for my guild <Shadowlord Society> at the time. I dont mention many other albs because of this reason. its is fictional obviously and not based on any excalibur server event. I had fun writing it and I hope you have fun reading. Enjoy and remember...its only a story

It is a tribute to the books I have read also and I hope you can spot some moments and certain characters that reflect my love for these books. I do not mean to copy those books, only pay tribute. Plus it was written in stages and I did not think I would develop any real plot to it bu tI just kept adding. I use fotm in-game sayings and abbreviations purely because of peoples awareness of them.

Dragons of Foriegn Shadow

...Silence made an uncomfotable companion on watch that night, March thought. Too much time to think and not enough time to relax. Behind him, bodies in the dark slept, although none too well, especially with the blasted cold. Better cold than dead, he muttered, pulling his woolen cloak closer around himself. The group of five had been sent out to scout Snowdonia Station only the night before. For most, one night seperated from the main force behind enemy lines in this cold was definetly enough. March did not like the fact that they could be out here a lot longer than two or three days. A month had passed since the Midgardian Hordes had slipped through the nets of Snowdonia Fortress and nobody in Albion could rest easy. It fell with little effort which scared many but enraged most. The Captain Commander of the kings Guard was told all too many times that the defences there were insufficient to meet todays standards. Zergs had annihalated twice the side of the defenders more than once in recent encounters in Berks and Beno. Sadly, the information telling the Captain Commander this, fell on his deaf ears. Arrogant and headstrong, Garet Byrn made a fine soldier, but he was too proud. And now it could prove disasterous. Nothing could seem to stop the horde now and what their full strength was, remained unknown. Frost bit at March again and he suddenly became aware that this was not the time to dwell on the events of late. Focus was essential and it would be the factor between life and death. Mids had a nasty habit of sneaking up on you. Even the blasted trolls seemed to be lightfooted. This environment was perfect for them too, which made it clear that this invasion was no hasty move. Anger seemed to swell inside him thinking of them, and instinctivly his hand tightened on his fathers sword. Rustling behind followed by light steps and a friendly hand on his shoulder made it clear his watch was complete. Now the uncertainty of sleep was his next task. As he walked by his comrade and friend of old, Marcegiani placed his gauntleted hand upon her shoulder. He lay down thinking of what the morrow might bring and how the society would handle it. Sleep came, if you could call it that. And in the background hidden among the shadows, Mall looked down at the station, darkness hiding her scowl...

...Smiths worked all through the night it seemed and the camp below seemed to be growing larger by the hour. Mall wondered to herself if they had made a mistake coming here with so little bodies. Five would be cut down in no time if they were discovered. Not that fear was a factor, far from it in fact. Death was not something this party would mention, or dwell on. The ultimate penalty would be to fail in their mission. And Mall swore through clenched teeth that they would not. They could not. The moon hung like a ball of silver in the black sky, shining down on the camp as if to highlight their presence. "How did it come to this"? she thought. "If only that bastard had listened to our reports none of this would have happened". She knew it was pointless to be angry now, and especially with an ally. The damage was done and now her anger could be focused in a more meaningful way. Another tent was pitched in the camp and Mall tried to stifle a growl. She could hear them shouting orders to each other and the muffled screams of Albionites held prisoner enraged her even more. It was all she could do to stay put. She thought of sending a bolt through one of the guardsmen but quickly removed the thought from her mind. Stealth was the key here and anything at all that gave them away would be surely noticed. It was only now that the armswoman was glad to have dyed her plate black. Even their guild cloaks, worn through many battles together had to be removed. It needed to be done. Suddenly, as Mall searched to the west she noticed movement among the trees. "What the hell are they doing up here?", she said softly. The patrols had been monitored closely and they never came this close before. No time to hesitate now. She was up in a flash and moved towards the group still lying asleep no more than two sword lengths away. The crack of a twig made her freeze on the spot. There was a lead scout. She could not rouse the rest without moving or making at least some sort of noise and they still drew nearer with every step. They would certainly hear anything. All she hoped now was that nobody would make any blasted noise in their sleep. An average height man entered just on the edge of their small clearing, a double sided axe hanging from his waist. Behind him she counted three more walking with not much sense of stealth towards him. He was within three long strides of her now and between him and her lay the group, still not moving. She gave a small start when a noreman coming up from the rear shouted at the lead man. No reply. The scout had been leaning against a tree seemingly peering in nothingness but gave no answer back despite being well in earshot. He called again. Nothing. But this time as she looked on, the scout fell forward and landed heavily, making a crash to wake the dead. The three came running forward cursing all at the same time in a foul gutteral tongue. This was what she needed now. She rose with a flourish and held her weapon tightly with both hands and ran straight towards the first Mid she saw. They stopped for an instant when they realised what was happening and their faces twisted angrily. One deft movement from her saw the lead man down in a heartbeat, whilst the other two went to either side and flanked her. As they started to advance she readied herself to meet them. She gave them both a sidelong glance and gripped her sword until her knuckles turned white. They never made it to her. The viking to her right stopped and looked upon her with a sense of horror in his face that even shocked her, and the man charging from the left suddenly flew back two paces, a greatsword buried halfway into his chest. It took Mall a few moments to relax and let her guard down. As she walked over to the man she had slain, she said quietly, "What the hell took you so long", all the while grinning to herself.

Casually, Brandon stepped out from behind the shadows and looked upon the lead scouts body who appeared to have his throat cut. Stooping low, he cleaned his dagger on the mans cloak. "Sure you could have handled that one Mall" he said half laughing. "I thought this position was secure and scouted Bran, damn Guardians should learn to do their job right". In the backgound March took his sword back from his foe and also wiped his blade clean. "Blasted Mids make me sick, I wont be happy until I see them all like their friends here." Amendra strolled over and frowned at the other mid who flanked Mall and thought that her arrow could surely have found a better target that that pitiful wretch. Although the notion was soon gone and it was worth the practise. Mirax joined her friends and seemed confused. "I thought they sent full groups on patrols, what the hell are these doing up here?" There was no time to find out. A search party would most certainly be sent out on the non arrival of their comrades and so it was time to go back a report the findings. "I think Arindra and Cerdin will be most pleased to hear of our discoveries, March". "Aye mate, just as long as they dont find out about yer temper gettin us into trouble again". Mall returned a small smile between friends and gathered her things. It was a long hike back to camp but they all seemed glad to be heading for warmer conditions. Especially March...

..."More Ale"!! was shouted from the back of Cotswold Tavern and the small fair haired barmaiden scurried from the kitchen and filled four fresh mugs. She was pretty and always hurrying around trying her best to help out, not that most here even noticed the effort she put in. In their usual corner, the small group of Shadowlords calmly talked and made jokes as if to forget for a time what trouble the realm was in. Not that they could forget. Every blasted person had it on their lips and talked seemingly of nothing else. "These folk should do more drinking and less worrying, we can drive these brigands back if we could manage to work together". A tall stocky man in plate mail looked at him and snorted."You know these people are not interested in fighting Pepe, besides, they are in no condition to fight a war. Their guilds are ill prepared and sloppy, if even they are members of a guild. No, I fear we will have to depend on only a few guilds to help us." Pepe gave him a musing look. "Come on Aand, dont tell me you think we'll lose. I will get rid of the ale if those mids get the better of us". A cleric called Seymour rose from the table and started towards the door. "Where the hell do you think you are going Sey?" Pepe said with a frown. "Keep yer dress on Pepe, I am only off to the privvy. Why? You wanna come with me? The surgeon said I should not do any heavy lifting". The corner erupted into a raucious laughter and Nakkiel, a slim and dark armoured scout slapped the Friar heavily on his back. " Very funny Sey, may Reorx make yer hangover a nasty one" came the reply and he could not help but put a large smile on his face. The jokes had gone the friars way for most of the night, twas only a certainty he would get burned by one of them sooner or later. "He made a noob out of you mate" Nakkiel said with a more than wide smile. His voice sounding as if he could be set to start a fit of giggles. As the three sat and tried to calm down again, Pepe tried to think of how he could get his friend back. "Gah! I will get him sometime. Drink up lads". No sooner than he had said that, the barmaiden known as Tika laid down the mugs of ale she had been pouring. "Now good sirs. Everything in order?" Nakk raised his head slightly and tried to avoid staring at her. Aanderud tried to keep himself from grinning like a small sprat of a boy. Only Pepe answered. " That'll be fine luv. But by any chance do you have any of yer delicious spicy potatoes prepared?". Tika turned on her heel and walked casually towards the kitchen, at the same time saying " should have, i'll just go check". Not many could look at Tika without staring at her. She was too pretty and far too pleasant. It seemed only Pepe could talk to her properly, considering he grew up around these parts and Tika was like a sister to him. But the other alemaidens are fair game and just as nice, he thought wryly, letting a grin appear on his bearded face. Nakk, having let his face return to its natural colour spoke again and wondered how the hell anybody could talk to her without stammering and making a fool of himself. Aanderud seemed to agree. Seymour made his entrance soon after and sat himself down again. Pepe gave him an amusing look. " You just missed a show better than beating three full groups Sey. These two turning redder than a tomato when Tika no more than laid our pints down. Give them a midgardian horde to themselves and they take it in their stride. An cute alemaiden and its all over, feckin noobs". " Ah feck! I would have like to have seen that one. She coming back?". " Aye sey, but just keep calm ok." Nakk and Aand seemed to be growling together in the direction of the two holy men, but that only made it funnier.

The evening worked its way to a close and the four made a start for their rooms. Sleep would be needed before the morrow and it would be an early start. Slapped shoulders followed goodbyes and they all seperated to get their shuteye. Their journey north to the line was the last they all thought before falling into slumber...

...The hour grew late and the candles flickered on the great table of Garets quarters. He paced back and forth stopping every now and then to view the Army that had gathered outside. The count was less than he had hoped for but then they were veteran warriors and they would fight to the end. A robed man sat with arms folded at the table, cooly viewing on. A cloak of yellow surrounding the crossed swords marked him as a Shadowlord. Beside him, a woman of the same guild gave the Captain Commander a worried look. "You do not think we can win, do you Garet?. You must not lose hope. We will win this battle.". He stopped and placed his hands behind his back, not taking his eyes off the army. "I fear we may be outmuched Lady Arindra. I only pray Reorx favours us enough to give us strength when the time comes. My scouts have reported nothing but bad news to me for many a day and it looks to get no better. I also hear that our Midgardian foes have alligned with tribes from Hibernia." Arindra look puzzled. "But that is ridiculous, they cannot stand each other. How can they be allies?" Her last words trailing into a growl. The man in dark robes spoke now. "They join to rid this country of us once and for all. Whatever differences they have will be settled once we are put out of the way. And they cannot be allowed to succeed". "Of course not Cerdin, but we cannot defeat an army twice our size. Many here are not disiplined or well trained enough to push them back". Cerdin rose from the table and walked over to where Garet stood. Lines of worry marked the Commanders face and he looked as if Reorx himself was pushing down on his shoulders. It was Cerdins turn to look out now. "We will defeat them Garet, you can rest assured. You are a fine soldier and your men have defended this realm for many years. Together, the high guilds of Albion and the Kings men will fight as one and drive the invaders towards their home once more". Arindra was standing beside them now. moonlight shining off her golden armour. "Time grows short Cerdin, we must rally the troops and commence preparations." He let out a small sigh and put a re-assuring hand on Garets shoulder. "Alas you are right Arindra. Strength be to you Lord Byrn, may Reorx guide you." The Captain Commanders face brightened and he managed a smile. "Thank you old friend, thank you both. Without you at the heart of this matter, it would be a shambles. Go, let me not keep you, I know you have friends to welcome and talk to. May Reorx guide you both". With a small bow each, Arindra and Cerdin turned and walked out of the Lord Captain Commanders quarters and left him to his thoughts.

Outside, the sound of smiths and orders could be heard almost in every direction. The camp was big. Too big for a village as small as Ludlow, but it would be enough to house and prepare. Runners ran from tent to tent with messages and commands from the higher ranks and also spreading word of events. The two walked side by side towards the middle of the camp and finally came to a long white tent with the emblem of the Shadowlord Society hanging above the entrance. On entering they noticed that the tent could do with being a little bigger. Cerdin and Arindra both smiled widely as they gazed upon the many who had arrived. "Welcome my friends. I trust your travels were pleasant ones." Arindra said. A man in brown vestments lifted his head and gave a small laugh. "Well you know me Arind, If there is Ale at the end of the journey, I would not complain". The tent burst into soft laughter and Cerdin and Arindra both sat and joined their comrades. "I believe you would Gamb, I do believe you would" Cerdin said. He browsed the room casually with a grin and a proud look and identified all who attended. Starting from his left side, he panned slowly to the right...

Sirex, Gamblor, Vindicator, Peting, Aragon, Malyss, Nynaeve, Adoc, Amendra, Pin, Marchegiani, Mall, Mirax, Brandon, Justinian, Nibor, Hexchen, Evelina, Cstark, Fangrim, Herc, Orinoco, Cacyn, Seviel, Mithrana, Quintus, Cadwallon, Heath, Amousha, Zerathol, Ziro, Cheater, Chenomi, Havesome, Lovejoy, Ninjawrath and Issingrunt all looked back and did not seem to mind that the place was much too small for such a large gathering. Gamblor piped up again. "Should have had this meeting in the pub Cerdin mate." Another ripple of laughter rang through the members.

Now it was time to get serious and after formalities had ceased, Cerdin made it his business to start more pressing issues. "We await four more travelling from Cotswold, who should be here within the night. With talk of rogue shadowblades, I hope they do not find trouble. The situation is this. The Shadowlords make ready with nine other guilds of Albion and the Kings guards" He stood now and addressed them all. "The Mid army has camped as far south as the Snowdonia Station and will press forward again within the week. We must not let them cross the bridge. March led a scouting party to observe the camp only two days ago and found that they are great in numbers and weaponry. We have also learned that the tribes of Hibernia now help the Mids in an attempt to defeat us." The room suddenly broke into curses and underbreath comments. "This may have sway on coming events. But both must be neutralised with equal force."

Cerdin looked at everybody with a look of steel in his eyes and halted for a moment before speaking again. "When our forces have been assembled, we march north and we engage"...

...The moon was high in the night sky and the four who had set out from Cotswold were nearing their destination. Ludlow was no more than a league away and they would surely love to be rid of the saddle. It was an uneventful journey, but the four would certainly agree that they prefer it that way. Seymour led the group at a trot and had his eyes fixed forward, searching for anything unusual. With a gesture from the cleric, Nakkiel who rode in the rear picked up his pace and galloped ahead to make sure the way was safe. He returned a few moments later. "Nothin Sey. And I can make out campfires. Ludlow draws near." Seymour gave a simple nod. "Good. This blasted saddle is non too comfortable anymore and I could surely do with a piece of mutton right about now. All this travelling makes a man hungry. The sooner we get there the better." Pepe rode up to where his friend was at the front of the column and Nakkiel slipped back again to ride beside Aanderud. "So, you reckon Cerdin and Arindra have a plan?". Seymour glanced over slightly, "I dunno Pepe. I have heard that the Mid army is formidable to say the least. Every attack on them has failed and been met with disaster." The friar let out a heavy sigh and tried to sit a little straighter. "We will defeat them Sey. With fists if we have to come down to it. With the Shadowlords at the heart of the battle I am sure we can create enough caos to teach them a lesson." Seymour made himself smile. "You always were a bit of a brawler anyway Pep, and you have a way with words. I am sure we will win the day. When have you ever seen me timid of a chance to fight mids." They both smiled now and sat in silence as they entered the encampment.

Once their steeds were stabled, they made thier way to the tent. Guided by a runner. The hour was late now and the camp seemed to be in a panic. People were rushing everywhere, from stable boys to Knights, and it seemed that everyone of them had the most important news and task. On entering the tent they were met by Cerdin and Nibor and bows were exchanged. "I trust Reorx favoured your journey?" Nibor said while taking a bite out of what appeared to be a piece of meat between two slices of bread. "It was uneventful mate if thats what you mean" And Seymour sat himself on one of the many chairs. As the rest made their way to be seated, Cerdin looked at Seymour. "You have missed the others by mere moments. They have retired and I cannot say I blame them. Tomorrow will prove the most important in the history of Albion for many ages. We ride north to engage the Midgardians in an attempt to push them back." They were all looking at Cerdin now, all but Nibor who was finishing whatever it was that he was eating. Aanderud broke the silence. "Have you heard of what we face?". "We fight as many as double our own force Aanderud. The reason for this is not a pleasant one. The tribes of Hibernia have alligned with the horde" Pepe spat on the floor and his face twisted in spite. "Feckin Hibs! If there is one thing I cannot stand more than a stinkin mid its a stinkin Hibby." "Indeed Pepe, but we cannot change what has aspired now. We must face them no matter what the odds. And tomorrow I hope the odds are in our favour." said Nibor. "By reorx they will be Nibor, I will see every damn last one of them perish if I could." Seymour stood and opened the flaps to the tent and looked out. "Who have we Cerdin, who do we fight alongside?" Cerdin stood also and looked out at the mass of tents and lanterns outside. "We are one of ten guilds and we fight alongside the Kings Men. We have managed to muster more than a capable force, and the morrow will prove our worth."

The group talked a while longer and then set off to their respective tents and tried to get some sleep. daybreak was coming and the force would be moving out as soon as the Sun showed itself over the mountains.The battle to shape the future of Albion was coming...

Dew glistened on the blades of grass and first light was sweeping across the realm. The Albion encampement at Ludlow seemed to swallow the small village and runners still ran around the camp with more and more word on preperations and orders. The Shadowlord tent was awash with yellow cloaked people, all talking amongst themselves and busying themselves with sword sharpening or final minute brewing of strange concoctions. Not far from the tent, about a dozen and a half from numerous guilds were gathered around a forge. All putting together the weaponry for the day. There was a smaller group of Shadowlords to the side of the main gathering. Nibor sat on a long bench with one leg up on the lap of his other, picking something out of his teeth with the point of his dagger. Marchegiani, who was standing in front him, began to laugh out loud. "Jebus Nibor! The blood of many a mid has been on that dagger. And you go and put it straight into yer mouth. Reorx knows where they've been". Nibor just gave a wry grin in return and said nothing, continuing to attempt to pick out whatever he had eaten for breakfast. A golden armoured Armswoman came over to them and slapped March heavily on his shoulder. Standing beside him it was apparent that she was at most the equivelant to his chest in height. "Mornin gents! I hope yer all ready to wup some serious mid ass today". Three men came walking passed her and smiled to themselves as they joined them. "Aye Mall mate. I just hope you don't find one who pisses you off. Remember that one in Odins last year? It took four of us to pry you off him. The poor soul". "Ya Pepe, you just worry about tryin to keep yer dress clean and I'll worry about the mids, ok?" They all wore smiles and hearty grins now, and the six stood in a crude circle. Brandon and Seymour seemed occupied with adjusting their cloaks and armour so as to make them more comfortable and Nibor had risen to greet them, placing his dagger back to its scabbard. "We ride soon mates. I have been informed that the Shadowlords are to take the point and form the main force's center". Seymour looked up while fixing his girdle. "And not before time to Nib, all this waiting makes me edgy". "To right Sey. Enough of this arsin around. Sooner we engage the better". said Brandon as he moved his sword scabbard. Nibor took both of them in. "Soon mates. Soon." He walked over to the entrance to the tent just as a female cleric and a robed cabalist came out and began to talk with them. Marchegiani smiled and looked at Pepe. "Mall's right mate. The dress is way too pretty to get soiled. But then again, since you probobly won't hit anyone, at least it will be yer own blood" The paladin began to laugh loudly and suddenly winced as something struck the back of his head. He put up a hand and rubbed it over and over in an attempt to get rid of the pain. A robed man with leather robes and helm brushed passed him. "oh ya big girls blouse March. I barely touched ya". "Feck you Gamb. My head is in none too well order after whatever it was we were drinkin last night, and you go and pound on it with that stoopid stick of yours". Gamblor walked over and gave a small nod at Pepe who was rolling around on the floor laughing his ass off. Brandon, Seymour and Mall were also in the kinks laughing. Pepe got up and sat down on the long bench and tried to wipe the tears from his eyes with the sleeve of his robe. "You always were a lighweight March. That brew was my lightest ale. I bet Mall could drink better than you, and she's tiny" he said. "Feck you too Pep, now I hope you really do get that stoopid dress of yers in a state". A horn blew in the distance and they all looked in the direction it came from.

The horn blew, just as the first touch of the sun came over the mountains to the east of the camp. Everybody stopped what they were doing as it blew for the second time. The mids were on the march. They were coming.

"To Arms"!!! was roared by more than one officer in the camp, and each individual began to move to their respective places. Cerdin and Arindra looked at the yellow cloaked Shadowlords and nodded gravely. "You all know what to do" and she walked alongside Cerdin in the direction of the bridge north of the camp. As if that was all the order they needed, Every Shadowlord picked up staves, unslung thier bows and took their swords from their scabbards.Everybody seemed to be scattered not knowing where they were going but all seemingly headed towards the bridge. Marchegiani turned towards Pepe. "Flamin Mids, at least they could have waited until we rode to meet them". "It does not matter now March. Be steadfast. Do not let the young ones see you mad or frustrated, they look to us for guidance and assurance. Many of the Kings Guards have never seen a troll let alone combat. Be steadfast." March muttered something under his breath but Pepe payed no heed. No sooner than they seemed to be in dis-array than the great Alliance of Guards and Guilds formed a long column, five men abreast, and even though it reached the bridge it still came from the camp. Yellow cloaked and battle hardened, the Shadowlord Society formed the spearhead of the column. Pepe, Mall, Marchegiani, Seymour, Nakkiel, Gamblor, Brandon and Aanderud made the rear of the Shadowlord guild. Just then as they were about to cross the bridge and black robed Cabalist ran up trying to catch his breath and fell in beside Pepe and Seymour. "Well, you decided to come did you Cal?. Seymour said with a guffaw. "You know me Sey. I'd sleep through the Day of Reckoning itself if I could.". Pepe smiled and glanced behind him looking at the vast column stretching back towards the village. As he did he noticed a familar face from his past. A female Paladin, who shone with brilliant ornate armour was looking at him from two rows back. Pepe could only gasp. "Elanor" he breathed. As quickly as he had seen her she disappeared in the vast amount of faces. Maybe it was his imagination.

As the bannermen, carrying the symbol of Albion at their centre, crossed the bridge, they wheeled to their left and let the guilds carry on forward. They passed through the old ruins of the two towers which had been abandoned and started to turn left. The Shadowlord Society took the central part of the plain between river and tree-line and faced west. At this point, the other guilds and Kings Guards were flanking the Society to their left, right and postioning themselves to the rear. The Kings Guards were comprised of mainly archers and infantry. Garet Bryn sat stoned faced and proud in the centre of his men, sword drawn, atop his steed. The Alliance was a mass of colour. Many great guilds were here and everybody wore their colours with absolute pride. These guilds stood in a line, side by side, all facing west. Behind them at a length of fifty yards gap, began the Veteran men at arms of the guards, weapons pointing upwards and shields brought across their chests. Behind them again stood the archers and the senior officers, along with the bannermen of houses and units. They all stood and waited. Sweat glistening on the foreheads of many. Some, could not keep down this mornings breakfast and wretching was commonplace and accepted. Most were young, all but boys. But by the end of this, they would have grown a lifetime.

Cerdin raised his staff high in the air and shouted. "Prepare! Mids Incoming! Prepare yourselves!". As if by his words commanded it, the first sight of Mids rounded the corner from Northern Snowdonia. There was hundreds... thousands. Swarms of them, all moving themselves into position in the same way the alliance had. There was already commotion stirring in the alliance. But no sooner than Pepe realised this than he was being filled with such energy and strength. He felt invigorated and noticed that there was a glowing ball of mutli coloured light surrounding him. He should have not have felt surprised, it was commonplace to weave these spells before a battle. He too noticed now that all casters, be they Clerics, Wizards, Thuergists or Sorcerors were now weaving there powers unto themselves and others. It was a wonderous sight. The Light filled him with such hope and serenity and he felt he could defeat the mids all by himself. Calmness covered the alliance and everone had the look of iron in them. They stood tall and proud and ready. Even the young looked on with hope and bravery. This would not be easy, but they were all ready to go to the afterlife if need be in defence of their realm. The light faded and then there was silence.Garet Byrn rose his gauntleted hand and signalled for archers. The banner was waved and the archers knocked their arrows and pulled back on the string. Garet's hand stayed in the air and he looked on coldly. He pointed towards the Mid army in the distance. "Loose!!!!" was all he said. There was no need for anything more. A host of arrow flew threw the air and stirred in the morning breeze. The Alliance only looked on. As they began to drop, he noticed the shields of his enemies rise above their heads to cover themselves. They arrows came down and buried thier way through the mid army front line. Screeches and gutteral roars echoed. Before the army had even a chance to rise and organise a defence another host was on its way down. Arrows cut through even the thickest of armour and shields. Why this was, none of the mids knew and it left them terrified. Commanders looked on angrily and spat towards the alliance. A twist that could only be a smile appeared on Garets face." Thank Reorx, Arindra. Thank Reorx I listened to you.". His second in command looked at him with grin also. "Looks like those spellcrafted arrows were worth the time and effort Sir." "Yes, Derec. But they will not give up because of a minor technicality. They will come at us now."

Cerdin acted as if he forsaw Captain Commander's words. He raised his staff high in the air once more and swept forward with it to his left and to his right. The Guilds began to march toward the enemy. No sooner had they done this than the Mids lurched forward themselves, screaming and roaring violently. The mids came closer and yet the guilds only marched onwards, not even readying weapons or beginning pre-casts. They came even closer still and yet the guilds looked on defiantly. When they came within half a fireball distance away, Arindra quickly became surrounded by a white hot light and rose her hand high into the sky as if reaching for something. She threw her hand down towards the ground and in an istant, a pure white fork of lightining shot from the heavens and into the front line of mids. The agonizing screams, the thunderous roar from the skies and smell of burned flesh filled the air. This was the signal that sparked a hundred firebolts and lightning to hurdle towards the army. Pepe along with Mall and March, ran straight towards the main line. Carrying with them the front line of the guilds. The sound of Steel was heavy. Miracuosly the thin line of the alliance held. Fire sprung from everywhere and nothing could be heard but the sounds of battle and thunder. It was as if Reorx himself was forging on the anvil of the world beside them. The rest of fighters from every guild were now in the fray. All taking on more than what could be called fair. Outnumbered, they fought everything that came their way. Everything was happening so fast. Nibor dodged and weaved between his opponents with deft moves and grace, placing his blades home and moving on to another before the last fell to the ground. Pepe spun catching the temples and midsections of his foes and held his ground surrounded by vikings. Mall and March were back to back. Mall had thrust her blade into over ten by now and march was grappling with a Troll Warrior. He shoved his shield forward and knocked the wind out of him, took a step back, spun and cleaved the trolls head off. It was only when Brandon came knee to face with a Lurikeen Nightshade that he realised that there was hibs in the mix. Not that he cared who's body his blade went into, Hib or Mid. Gamblor had his staff planted into the ground beside him. He caught hold with both hands as he ran and jumped, catching a norseman in the jaw. He quickly recovered and sent his fist crashing into a Dwarf Seer. Lifting the staff, he terminated any chance of them getting back up. Pepe looked to his right and saw huge spears of light and fire, seemingly conjured from the air, jab downwards onto a flanking guild. Seymour, observing up until now, saw his duty beneath those spears. He ran towards them, catching an Elfe Champion on the side of the head as he went, dropping him to the ground. He put his mace away and called upon the mighty powers of Reorx and focused them onto the men under the spears. They rose and ran forwards once more, filled with life once again. Seymour fell to his knees, exhausted. He managed to pull a potion from his belt and down it as soon as the cork was off the bottle. A shiver went through him like being covered in freezing cold water and no sooner did he feel tired than he felt full of power again. He ran back to his friends.

In front of Cerdin and Arindra a swarm of fifteen or so Firbolgs, Trolls, Vikings and Celts, came running towards them. Arindra readied her weapon and Cerdin began to move his hands and chant in a low snake like language. He grasped his staff in both hands, lifted it above his head and thrust it down into the earth. As soon as the staff touched soil, the group dropped to the ground, holding their heads in pain. Some arose and ran, droppin their weapons and screaming. They had not gone more than ten feet before they too dropped to the groumd, never to get up again. The battle was raging now. But it seemed all so distant. Pepe looked up from his battered foe to another, but there was no other. He stood amidst fallen mids, hibs and albs and looked to the west. The guilds were pushing forward, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. Nakkiel was no more than twenty feet away, still fighting a Dwarf Skald and Troll Thane. They covered both sides of him and began to push forward to make their killer blows. He did not give them that chance. He sprang for the Dwarf, jumped onto its shoulder and summersaulted over him, at the same time reversing his view towards them. He landed with two arrows nocked in his bow, string taught. Before they even knew what had happened, they had an arrow each in the forehead. Nakkiel only now too realised the extent of the Alb movements, and he stared back at the friar with a menacing twinkle.

Cerdin blew a horn and the retreating mids and hibs were let fall back as the guild stopped and made there way back to the foothills of South Black Mountains. Marchegiani walked straight to Cerdin with an angry and bloody face. "We cannot let them regroup Cerdin. They will only organise and zerg again. We must follow them until we push them back through the gates or annihalate them altogether." Cerdin did not look worried. All he did was smile and look to the east. Marchegiani looked over his shoulder and began to nod as if he understood. He returned his look to Cerdin with a grin on his face. "Garet will deal with the stray mids March. I think we have done much this day. Besides, Garet would love to have this oppertunity. He will not stop until he see's them all out of this realm and has men gathered to guard the gates again." The other guilds were consolodating also in their own groups. The gathered group of Shadowlords made a yellow circle, hard and unbroken. After slaps on the shoulders and hugs from old friends were exchanged, Cerdin and Arindra spoke
to their troops...

Very nice work, very nice work indeed. Thats what I call WTFPWNAGE

S

SSpepe

aye, well its easier to write when I can talk about something I know and had experiences with :)

I could have changed the names if that makes ya feel better :D lol

Users who are viewing this thread