Dr Who!

Tilda

What did people think of the Xmas special?

Good eh? :p

Omg what is this Torchwood?!
Priminister's an evil cow imo! Dr should have slapped her, although I liked all the questions about her health at the end :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I thought it was fucknig great.

I thought thr PM was great too, I wish we had one like that now.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I forgot to tape it. Does anyone know if it is being repeated?

(same goes for Top Gear :( )

RB

Tilda

Rubber Bullets said:
I forgot to tape it. Does anyone know if it is being repeated?

(same goes for Top Gear :( )

RB
Repeated on BBC3 at 7pm on 1st of Jan 06!

throddy,
the PM was ok, started to piss me off the way she was always "i'm blah blah, PM!" She seemed nice enough at the start, but at the end she wasn't that nice imo, although I guess good acting all the way through :p

mank!

Part of the furniture
i thought it was ace. not sure about david tennent though.

i thought the relevance of the "blah blah, prime minister" was referring to her introducing herself as mp for somewhere random in an episode in the last series. an attempt at humour, if you will.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I personally didn't like the story, but the kids loved it, so that's the acid test as far as I'm concerned. It was a good introduction to Tennent and I think he'll do okay, similar to Peter Davidson, the trailers looked good.

Wasn't the "I'm Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" followed by "Yes, I know" gag, more apparent when she says it to the alien and he answers the same ?

The show was "controversial" because the use of Torchwood against the fleeing alien spaceship was an echo of Thatcher's decision to sink the Belgrano. However, IMO it's just an ongoing thing that happened in every Dr Who series about his relationship with Earth and Humans and the way he dislikes them blowing up everything.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I thought Torchwood was something to do with captain Jack who is getting his own late night series of the same name.

(Torchwood =anagram= Doctor Who)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I thought David Tennant was excellent, I hope he does more than one series...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wij said:
I thought Torchwood was something to do with captain Jack who is getting his own late night series of the same name.

(Torchwood =anagram= Doctor Who)

Yeah, its a teaser for the new spin-off series which is supposed to be "X-Filesy" and has Captain Jack in it, and is set in Cardiff :eek6: . There isn't supposed to be any crossover between Torchwood and Who, but since we've already had a reference before the thing's even started, what's the betting on that?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I thought it was cack. Plot was naff, dialogue was naff, the new Doctor didn't grab my imagination at all. I also dislike the amount of self praise the BBC is lavishing upon itself for reviving the series.

rynnor

Rockhound
Turamber said:
I thought it was cack. Plot was naff, dialogue was naff, the new Doctor didn't grab my imagination at all. I also dislike the amount of self praise the BBC is lavishing upon itself for reviving the series.

Thank god - basically the christmas episode was a poor quality filler - it was very poorly written - relied on dull stereotypes and didnt really get started till the last 1/3rd - tennant has yet to get in gear and basically did this episode on auto-pilot - hopefully he will have more personality in series 2 proper.

On the spin-off Torchwood I personally found 'captain jack' to be the most irritating character in the first series - a kind of jar-jar binks with a bad american accent!

I also think that the Earth having a decent defense v aliens destroys the general premise of earth needing Dr Who to save it.

Personally I think this re-work of Dr Who will slump by the 3rd series.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Thought it was good tbh. Think David Tennant (for the brief amount of time he was actually on screen) was engaging, and I think he'll be a better Doctor than Christopher Eccleston (more mercurial).

Couple of things though:

Cup of tea? Fuck off! How naff was that??

In the last series, the Doctor said he recognised Hilary Jones' name as the "three time Prime Minister who resided over Britain's new golden age", and yet in this episode he tries to get her kicked out because of her Torchwood decision. I know its very foolish to look for logic in Doctor Who, but he's just casually tried to change history, when the previous series made it very clear that's a very bad idea on numerous occasions. Shoddy writing.

rynnor

Rockhound
Who actually thought this was a specially written Christmas episode?

I mean come on - 3 robot santa's and a killer Christmas tree - did that not feel tacked on or what!!!

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Total bollocks: ridiculous plot, dodgy effects & some rather iffy acting. Yet I loved it ;)

Im definitely getting old tho, completely balls'd up trying to record it :twak:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
doh, missed it and now im goingn to miss the repeat too :(

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Bloody brilliant, IMHO.

A few things to note...

I think The Doctor actually doubled over in pain and...yes I actually think he did say the words "Brain...Collapsing!" in a very Lion-O style "I will narrate...my...pain" type way.

Not really liking the sword fight...Yes he's The Doctor, yes, you don't mess with him, but he's not and never was one for fighting surely? What's next, will he wield two pistols sideways to put a motherfucking (golden) cap in some Cyberman ass? That'll appeal to the kids, actually.

No idea what the crappy spinning Christmas tree had to do with the pilot fish thing, and anyway, didn;t he say at first that the aliens were coming to use him as a battery...and then they weren;t, they were just invading??

But Tenant was marvellous once he got into it, I was in stitches at his piss-takey shouted retort to the alien leader. And I thought the idea of 1/3 of the world's population standing on rooftops to jump was quite eerie.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Finally got around to watching it this evening and honestly thought it was great. David Tennant certainly had no problem just stepping in and making it his own, I was very impressed with him.

Jonny_Darko said:
I think The Doctor actually doubled over in pain and...yes I actually think he did say the words "Brain...Collapsing!" in a very Lion-O style "I will narrate...my...pain" type way.
He got some good lines, it's true. In fact, the whole ‘wake up kick ass’ part of the show just seemed to be an excuse for him to indulge as a free-role entertainer. Fab.

Jonny_Darko said:
Not really liking the sword fight...Yes he's The Doctor, yes, you don't mess with him, but he's not and never was one for fighting surely?

I'm not too hot on ‘old’ Dr Who cannon, but I remember during one of the summary shows the BBC did about the time they brought it back, one of the clips showed The Doctor in full blown fisticuffs with the evil-Time-Lord-whos-name-I've-forgotten. Uncommon, but not ‘never’ :)

Also loved the bit following the PM's final ‘I'm blah, Prime Minister’ and the aide translates the alien saying ‘we know who you are’. I completely see how someone could've got annoyed by that recurring line, but I think it was worth it for that eventual gag.

Liked the Arthur Dent acknowledgement too. And the mentioned of Gelfs in Rose's ‘go away’ speech.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I think they going to let out the Doctor's more violent feelings over the loss of his home and only family (even though he never cared too much for Gallifrey anyway) and are bringing in the use of GUNS! The Doctor NEVER used guns the way this new doctor waves about his sonic screwdriver in the promos. It's a shame that the last Doctor was mad, and that this one seems like he may well be too. This is David Tenant's first episode and I'm going to give the new ep's a fair chance because the last series was so good, and so was this.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Loved it.

DT is different from CE, and isn't trying to "do" him. Here's hoping he sticks around for more than one bloody series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom