Dr James Watson

E

ECA

Dunno if any of the other insomniacs/nutters watched this but he was just interviewed on BBC1/BBC news 24 and it was bloody great.

He was one of the original researchers in the field of DNA and had some really interesting views.

Besides which he had a fucking inane grin. Looking like your typical aging mad scientist who believes in the good of humanity style person and very much talked like it.

The interview was trying to steer him towards nazis creating a superrace and blah blah and he was having absolutely none of it.
Saying you can only increase resistance to diseases etc not make supermen.

Some of the stuff he was saying about abortion and mans rights to do certain things was really interesting as well, i'll chatter on about it later cuz i'm knackered i just wanted to write it down somewhere otherwise i'll forget.

S

Scouse

Yeah - saw it on BBC2 a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty kewl stuff. Nice point of view. Dodgy moral ground tho but I go along with it :)

E

ECA

It was quality the way he looked into nothingness when thinking of his answers and was half senile but still owned the interviewer :-]

S

Scouse

I think that his mind is still pin-sharp - it's his body letting him down now.

He'd be a right pain in the arse to have a conversation with tho - there'd be no flow.

"Dya want a pint Jim?"

/stares into the distance for a min

"Yes please"

"Bitter?"

/stares into the distance for a min

"No, actually. I'm glad the Allies won......."
</mini Sieg Heil>

Boom boom! Aye thank j00.

/cough. Sorry.

X

xane

Originally posted by ECA
The interview was trying to steer him towards nazis creating a superrace and blah blah and he was having absolutely none of it.
Saying you can only increase resistance to diseases etc not make supermen.

The common misconception between eugenics and genetics, which in principle are complete opposites.

Genetics is about taking the best of us by mixing every variant, it is the complexity of species that gives rise to their ability to adapt and continued survival, "survival of the fittest" is an ill-concieved phrase and too many people mis-interpret its meaning.

I didn't see the programme, but I know Watson has suggested children could be "genetically enhanced", whilst this carries the "Ubermensch" tag it is a million miles away from what the nazis were doing.

E

ECA

err yes xane I fully understand the difference between genetics and eugenics. I've posted debates on it on other forums before now.

I was just saying that he shot the interviewer down, it was a bit of an odd time when I posted :/

W

Wij

Re: Re: Dr James Watson

Originally posted by xane
I didn't see the programme, but I know Watson has suggested children could be "genetically enhanced", whilst this carries the "Ubermensch" tag it is a million miles away from what the nazis were doing.

Ubermensch should be seen in it's original light as proposed by Neitzche. Nazis completely misunderstood it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom