Dps And Spd On Items

O

oblivion_6

Seen as im now in the hack n slash role of chars :) i thought i would try and understand this dps and spd thing

anyone got a guide on the diferent dps and spd of crafter weaps?

am i right in sayin that the higher the quality of a crafter weapon the closer to its dps it gets?

plz explain lol

currently i use two dirks as my weaps but ive heard that i shouldnt

why?

cheers

A

Alrindel

Yes, the quality and condition of a weapon affect the amount of damage that weapon does - the "effective DPS" that shows up when you delve it (right click on the weapon and then shift-I).

For example, a cobalt rapier has a base DPS of 8.6, but a 99% quality crafted one has a real DPS of 8.5, a dropped rapier of 89% quality would have a real DPS of 7.7 and a store-bought one with quality 85% would only have a real DPS of 7.3.

So, best are quest weapons that are 100% quality, then crafted, then dropped and finally store-bought.

As to using two dirks, that's more an issue of speed than DPS. If you're fighting an enemy that parries/blocks a lot, or has bubble, then having very very fast weapons might be the best choice rather than having slow ones and never getting through his defenses. What you should NOT do is dual wield one fast weapon and one slow one, due to the way the game calculates how much time elapses between each swing - you can find yourself swinging slowly with the fast weapon, and your damage output will be correspondingly reduced.

O

oblivion_6

jez al how bout i give u my desk number in work and just ask you all my questions :p

k so the higher the SPD value the faster the weap aye?

so i should be aiming to get the fastest weapons that orange to me >?

and it dont matter wielding two weaps of the same kind

A

Alrindel

No, the LOWER the SPD, the faster the weapon. SPD measures "how often can I swing?". Dirks can be swung every 2.3 seconds, bastard swords can be swung every 4.1 seconds, barbed spears every 5.7 seconds.

This is why damage is measured in DPS (damage per second) - so you can make a fair comparison between weapons. Imagine you're hitting me with a SPD 2.0 dirk and I'm hitting you with a SPD 4.0 club but they are both DPS 10.0 weapons. The battle would look like this.

I hit you for 40, you hit me for 20
You hit me for 20
You hit me for 20
You hit me for 20

On first view, I'm hitting twice as hard as you are, but we're actually doing the same amount of damage over time.

O

oblivion_6

ah and if im duel welding them i got 25% chance of using both of them twice in time it takes u to attack once

ah i get it now brilliant thxs m8 :)

so does the spd of an dirk stay the same regardless of the material its crafted from?

A

Alrindel

ah and if im duel welding them i got 25% chance of using both of them twice in time it takes u to attack once
Right.
so does the spd of an dirk stay the same regardless of the material its crafted from?
Yes.

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by oblivion_6

ah i get it now brilliant thxs m8 :)

yes

Note that some drops might have other speeds even though they may look exactely like another weapon (like the Wicked Thorn for example, it has 2.2 spd but it looks like a curved dagger which is slower than 2.2 spd).

O

oblivion_6

ah so if the item looks slower but has a far faster dps then i can use it to lure peeps into a false sense of security :)

brilliant

thxs for all the post guys im luvin this new shade ive made hes a lot of fun. :) heres hoping i can get him to 50 and coz some havoc :p

A

Alrindel

With piercers it doesn't really matter too much, they all range from SPD 2-3. With one exception: the guarded rapier, which is SPD 3.6 - the heaviest hitting pierce weapon.

Remember, the slower the weapon, the more damage you do with each blow... so this is the best weapon to PA with. Many shades will carry three weapons, two fast daggers in LH and RH slots, and a guarded rapier in the 2H slot (you can put a 1H weapon there and put it on your quickbar to switch it into the RH slot). Perf with the guarded rapier for maximum damage, then immediately switch to the fast weapons for the rest of the fight. This also lets you prepare 3 poisons, by the way.

O

oblivion_6

woo did not know that m8 thxs :)

so can i get a crafted 2H sword for my NS then?

that would rock i could use my backstab with the heavy hittin sword with maybe a snare or debuff then use DOT and other debuff on my wee dirks

need to try that tonight :)

V

VodkaFairy

You can't use two-handed weapons as a nightshade.. :)

V

VodkaFairy

I use a 99% qual guarded rapier (slowest weapon) for a high-damage PA and I use two angled daggers (slowest offhand-usable weapon) for normal melee damage.

In RvR I apply a dot to the guarded rapier, snare to offhand and enervating (str/con decrease) to my other mainhand weapon. Note: you can put poisons on your quickbar :p

Con decrease on monsters means their AF drops, so you will hit for more damage (?) and you have more chance to hit them.

A

Alrindel

so can i get a crafted 2H sword for my NS then?
He can't equip it. Nightshades can only equip pierce, blade and stave weapons. You could get a slow 1H sword - bastard sword is the slowest - but with no spec points in the blade skill your damage won't be consistently good. Your best bet is just to stick with the slowest piercer for backstabbing: in cobalt and up, that's the guarded rapier.

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by Alrindel

He can't equip it. Nightshades can only equip pierce, blade and stave weapons. You could get a slow 1H sword - bastard sword is the slowest - but with no spec points in the blade skill your damage won't be consistently good. Your best bet is just to stick with the slowest piercer for backstabbing: in cobalt and up, that's the guarded rapier.

There are certain specs where you can very effectively use a staff:

19 + 5 stealth
16 + 5 envenom (for the level 20 dot)
24 critical strike

The damage on your staff will vary alot, but due to its very low speed you have a certain chance you will hit for an insane ammount of damage. The only thing you can do is hit-and-run though, high damage PA + high level poison and hope you get away. Melee = death :)

O

oblivion_6

Originally posted by VodkaFairy
Note: you can put poisons on your quickbar :p

Wooo how does this work? how do i get the poison onto my blades?

A

Alrindel

There are certain specs where you can very effectively use a staff
Most of the shades in our guild have tried out the staff at one point or another, getting Merbos to make them high quality crafted ones. They usually give it up after a few attempts - quite apart from the wild damage variance, the miss rate is horrible.

O

oblivion_6

but how do i put posions on my qbar how do i use em?

lol im leaving work in 5 mins :p

C

Chameleon

Didn't make it before you left then, but hey ..........

click one dagger, click a space on the quick bar, click one poision, click a place on the qb. So now you have 2 icons on your qb. Click the number corresponding to the dagger, now click the number corresponding to the poison and voila! It should tell you in the status window that you have applied the poison.
So, you can put on a seperate qb, dagger, posion, dagger, poison, dagger, posion, then between fights, just click 1,2,3,4,5,6, for example. Remember to envenom them in the order you wish to use them, i.e. apply the 1st to the wep in the 2-handed slot, then your offhand wep, then your main wep.

V

VodkaFairy

As chamelion said. The way I have it:

slot1 - Guarded rapier (switches to PA weapon + offhand)
slot2 - DoT poison (applies dot poison to weapon #1)
slot3 - Angled dagger (mainhand) (switches to mainhand-melee weapon)
slot4 - Major enervating poison
slot5 - Snare poison

If you click a poison twice you apply it to your mainhand and offhand.

Good luck :p

C

Cloak_

I personnally dont like using Guarded to PA scout mincer classes - the delay between PA and CD is way too high and if the scout/mince has any nounce thye just slam/stun

E

elerand

If you PA I assume you don't have your weapons drawn, hence you attack straight away ;)

Unless they spot you of course and do something nasty before you hit the buttons.

On another note there is a haste effect on CD but it only comes into effect IF you attack with both weapon in the one round, after your initial attack with a slow weapon for PA swap to two fast weapons, you can have a slow mainhand and a fast mainhand, then a fast in your two handed slot, also good for having a spare weapon envenomed.

Then at least you are using two same speed weapons and don't have to worry about CD being a git and fluffing the offhand and not getting the haste effect.

J

Juanita

You don't have your weapons drawn, but the delay between the first swing and the second swing is the delay (spd) of the first weapon.

So:

PA with guarded rapier

wait 3.6 secs (ignoring quickness for a sec) and switch weapons

CD with fast weapon

wait 2.2 secs etc.

This is also nasty for rangers using the slowest bow, the delay for them going from ranged to melee is massive.

O

oblivion_6

ah sweet

well my wee dudde is lv 16 now and going strong so hopefully get him into the BG by this weekend :)

E

elerand

Originally posted by Juanita
You don't have your weapons drawn, but the delay between the first swing and the second swing is the delay (spd) of the first weapon.

So:

PA with guarded rapier

wait 3.6 secs (ignoring quickness for a sec) and switch weapons

CD with fast weapon

wait 2.2 secs etc.

This is also nasty for rangers using the slowest bow, the delay for them going from ranged to melee is massive.

Oh sorry, in subsequent rounds :)

Well yeah, like a hero using a large shield is gonna have less time to swing a spear after slam, have to ask yourself tho what's more important, the initial attack with more dmg or a faster 2nd swing?

AS far as I can see with most NS it's a more dmging PA. most heros use small shields since they are depending on doing dmg with spear and not shield, would have thought it was simple really :)

C

Cloak_

On a mage sure high dmg PA can 1 shot them,, but on most other classes its more important to get CD in so i get chance to kill them b4 stun wears off..

Killed Sst w/o her even swinging just a shame she was ressick :(

(mustve been some1 else playing as she was running around unstealthed :D )

V

VodkaFairy

Yesterday some scout used TS and tried to slam me, but I evaded. Then I PA'd him (was still stealthed) but he slammed me again before I could get CD in. The alb zerg did the rest :p

Against targets that can disable you before you even get CD in you're in big problems so you have to use a fast weapon to PA with. Against targets that can't disable you, highest PA damage as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread