[RANT] Downtime

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Every day this week practically. Servers down for 3+ hours a day. I don't mind downtime for patches normally but when you have a week of 3+ hour downtime during the time where I generally get to have a quiet hour of gaming it starts to grate.

I know there's little GOA can doabout this - they get moaned at for not patching quickly enough and then I come along moaning about the frequency of downtime.

I'd rather wait an extra week for a patch tbh if it meant Mythic FIXED things in that patch and not their 4 subsequent mini patches.

M

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I like how they've made an "update" at 8:30 on their website when that message wasn't even there at 8:30

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Every day this week practically. Servers down for 3+ hours a day. I don't mind downtime for patches normally but when you have a week of 3+ hour downtime during the time where I generally get to have a quiet hour of gaming it starts to grate.

I know there's little GOA can doabout this - they get moaned at for not patching quickly enough and then I come along moaning about the frequency of downtime.

I'd rather wait an extra week for a patch tbh if it meant Mythic FIXED things in that patch and not their 4 subsequent mini patches.

M

It's annoying i know, but i'd rather they give us lots of small fix patches costing a few hours at a time than moster patches where nothing works for months afterwards.

A few hours are no major inconvenience for most players, a whole day or most certainly is.

Also, the patches all week have never exceeded 3 hours afaik, so please try not to exaggerate. Downtime today for example was 2 1/2 hours and at least one of the patches was only 2 hours.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I like how they've made an "update" at 8:30 on their website when that message wasn't even there at 8:30

Thats an update from the team afaik, the update would probably have been issued at 8.30, even if it wasn't posted on the website until a little later.

See this quite often if you are around when they are patching, but it's usually pretty close to the mark.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I always see patches have happened but it never affects me cos they always do it in the morning (I'm either at college or asleep then).

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
FFS wtf is that guildwars cd
Edit:/ found it

We will be bringing the servers down tomorrow morning (December 21st) to apply further fixes and improvements to the game. The servers will be shut down at 08:30 CET and we will keep you updated in this news as the operation progresses.

why even bother putting a date just leave the message there "im so furious with this shit"

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Welcome to Patchammer Online.

Fucking Joke.

M

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
It's annoying i know, but i'd rather they give us lots of small fix patches costing a few hours at a time than moster patches where nothing works for months afterwards.

A few hours are no major inconvenience for most players, a whole day or most certainly is.

Also, the patches all week have never exceeded 3 hours afaik, so please try not to exaggerate. Downtime today for example was 2 1/2 hours and at least one of the patches was only 2 hours.

Don't Exagerate.

Just because you don't give a shit about the patches doesn't mean I don't. "most" responses in this thread contradict your point of view so clearly "most" players are finding it annoying.

2 hours, 21/2 hours, 3 hours... It's almost irrelevent. It's still 5 mornings now that a service has been unavailable. A;so the 1.1 patch took longer than 2 hours.

We're getting on for over a day of downtime in a week. I find that pretty fucking unacceptable.

As I've said previously - I'd rather they release a thoroughly tested patch to fix issues. Not a half arsed jobby that introduces a fuckton of new bugs that needs 4 (now) subsequent patches to resolve.

Don't even get me started on immunity and the global cooldown. The whole "Disabled" thing now is worse than it was pre-1.1. Good fix mythic.

M

Cybwyn

Fledgling Freddie
I've been an advocate of taking the servers down when necessary to improve performance. I'd happily trade-off a couple of hours play time to make the times when I am playing a lot smoother.

Problem is, I'm not seeing any benefit from all this downtime; these 'stability' updates seem to do fuck all.

This is what, the 4th or 5th morning in the space of 7 days where the servers have been unavailable?

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
Doesnt bloody matter how long it takes im not going to wait/check if the servers are back up every second so effectively im gonna do something else till this afternoon. So bollocks to it taking however long/i no care love you longtime replys.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Before you keep mashing the F5 key on War-Europe though, try:
Sneaky Goblin Tactics #3

The other two are a nice too ;)

Can't say anything other than

11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111211111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111112111

Watching numbers like that coming from one key press over and over and over again should make any right minded gamer want to puke tbh.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

M

Yea! Damn Mythic for wanting to fix problems as soon as possible and forcing us into having a real life... How DARE they?!?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH

GOA are following Mythic in patching as quickly as possible, that was at the request of the EU player base. However as Mythic tend to patch almost constantly and do so at very unsocial hours (and even weekends), GOA are having to do the same.

I agree with you, if I was still on EU servers I'd much rather GOA waited and applied the patches on a patch day.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I think GOA staying in line with what Mythic are doing is the right thing and that any changes to patching and QA should happen at Mythic's end.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Are the servers down now? I'm trying to log in but it says "The server has closed your connection" as soon as I get to the character select screen. According to GOA's (still crap-tastic, since it's still made of Flash and therefore made of fail) website, the maintenance downtime shouldn't be kicking in for another couple of hours.

Is it just me, or do we actually not have a server status page?

Twinky

Fledgling Freddie
I actually think GOA are doing a great job on WAR compared to DAoC...

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Lol damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Patches doing nothing are Mythic's fault; Goa, this time around, is doing a fine job.

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Good morning!
Maintenance status: Patching is still in progress and we're expecting the final go-ahead.
Update 11:33 CET: European servers now Live

Since we're operating in five languages and we'd prefer if not all of us would have to start early (we're on GMT you know) and update the news, we prepare them the day before and take turns publishing the updates.

M
It's true that patching has been frequent, but it hasn't been daily.

Some weeks after launch we did a few patches on the Monday following Mythic's Friday night or Saturday patches and were absolutely scorned by the community (also here at FH for it). It seemed that the vast majority of players preferred that we follow their lead also on weekends so that's what we're aiming for now.

GOA are following Mythic in patching as quickly as possible, that was at the request of the EU player base. However as Mythic tend to patch almost constantly and do so at very unsocial hours (and even weekends), GOA are having to do the same.

I agree with you, if I was still on EU servers I'd much rather GOA waited and applied the patches on a patch day.
For now, we're sticking with our current patching process but I'll bring forth these concerns to our Project Managers.

-Magnus

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved

Hmm am I mis-remembering?

Wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday last week (1.1 through to 1.1d)

I was in work early Monday so didn't check. Today the servers are still down according the website?

So with the exception of possibly Sunday and Monday that's every day since Wednesday?

I don't blame goa for following on Mythic's heels. I agree that you are doing a good job. It's a pisstake however, for Mythic to be patching their patches because of doing a shoddy job in the first place.

It's also a bit daft coming in here pointing out that it's not a daily occurance when you know full well that for all of 2 days in the last 7 it has been.

M

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie

Some weeks after launch we did a few patches on the Monday following Mythic's Friday night or Saturday patches and were absolutely scorned by the community (also here at FH for it). It seemed that the vast majority of players preferred that we follow their lead also on weekends so that's what we're aiming for now.

I were'nt around the first few weeks of launch, players frustrated at goa for patching on monday instead of friday night or saturday and this was changed. Seriously!! was everyone high or something?

And last week servers were down practically on a daily basis, perhaps there was one day it wasnt but for people like myself that were able to play between 7-12pm if only a few of us, the service wasnt provided.
Im not going to stop paying for warhammer because i like it but ive still been an unhappy customer for the last fortnight.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm am I mis-remembering?

Wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday last week (1.1 through to 1.1d)

I was in work early Monday so didn't check. Today the servers are still down according the website?

So with the exception of possibly Sunday and Monday that's every day since Wednesday?

I don't blame goa for following on Mythic's heels. I agree that you are doing a good job. It's a pisstake however, for Mythic to be patching their patches because of doing a shoddy job in the first place.

It's also a bit daft coming in here pointing out that it's not a daily occurance when you know full well that for all of 2 days in the last 7 it has been.

M

Oi!

From launch it's been far from daily, you grumpy old gitface :D

Go get a beer and chill out ;)

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Oi!

From launch it's been far from daily, you grumpy old gitface :D

Go get a beer and chill out ;)

Oi!!

It's MY Rant! :)

I didn't expect a response from anyone tbh, but it seems from the responses that I'm either unreasonable or lacking a life because I like playing a game from 07:00 to around 08:00 uk time before I head out to work/ chillout with the family.

I don't expect anyone to stop doing what they're doing but I do feel a bit pissed off when someone implies that I'm exagerating an issue when I've actually been quite restrained. The patches over the last week and a bit have hit my quiet grinding / questing time where I get a great deal of enjoyment out of warhammer.

it's a perfect time for me and it means I can spend more time with my kids/wife when they're awake and need my attention.

I realise that no matter what time GOA decide to patch it will affect someone and I realise that they and mythic are trying to improve the game. In this instance, however, I feel it's a case of more haste and less speed. The bugs within and between patches seem to be causing more frustration than the bugs that the patches were brought in to repair. This is only from my experience in an active RVR guild on Karak Hirn. My main is Dacovale as many of you know and I was (until workload nerfed my playtime) very active in both orvr and instances over the last month.

Anyways - I'll sit quietly and harrumph in the corner. I'm not happy about this but I'll cease boring you all with it.

M

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Oi!!

It's MY Rant! :)

I didn't expect a response from anyone tbh, but it seems from the responses that I'm either unreasonable or lacking a life because I like playing a game from 07:00 to around 08:00 uk time before I head out to work/ chillout with the family.

I don't expect anyone to stop doing what they're doing but I do feel a bit pissed off when someone implies that I'm exagerating an issue when I've actually been quite restrained. The patches over the last week and a bit have hit my quiet grinding / questing time where I get a great deal of enjoyment out of warhammer.

it's a perfect time for me and it means I can spend more time with my kids/wife when they're awake and need my attention.

I realise that no matter what time GOA decide to patch it will affect someone and I realise that they and mythic are trying to improve the game. In this instance, however, I feel it's a case of more haste and less speed. The bugs within and between patches seem to be causing more frustration than the bugs that the patches were brought in to repair. This is only from my experience in an active RVR guild on Karak Hirn. My main is Dacovale as many of you know and I was (until workload nerfed my playtime) very active in both orvr and instances over the last month.

Anyways - I'll sit quietly and harrumph in the corner. I'm not happy about this but I'll cease boring you all with it.

M

Patching is always going to interfere with someones gaming time, it's inevitable.

You were exaggerating over downtime lengths and got called on it.

You exaggerated over the number of downtimes this (last) week and, again, got called on it.

You implied most people agreed with you and got called on it as this thread is testament too the fact that obviously many do not agree.

If you don't like people suggesting you are exaggerating, then stop exaggerating....

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
Patching is always going to interfere with someones gaming time, it's inevitable.

You were exaggerating over downtime lengths and got called on it.

You exaggerated over the number of downtimes this (last) week and, again, got called on it.

You implied most people agreed with you and got called on it as this thread is testament too the fact that obviously many do not agree.

If you don't like people suggesting you are exaggerating, then stop exaggerating....

The downtimes during the time he is active so the length cant be exaggerated really can it.

The numbered downtimes he mentioned was less because he missed the monday event patch and tuesdays maintenance

And most people do agree with him, official war forums where the barrysworld clan now live share there points there instead.

Happy Christmas all :cheers:

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Faildawn.

I think you should stop trolling and failing tbh.

Merry Christmas everyone

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom