Downloading music could spell JAIL!

M

mank!

Originally posted by Any
How about you all realise that what you are doing is stealing? If you get caught you should face the consequences.
You wouldnt go into a shop and steal a CD so why is it ok to download it?

Why should the record companys lower the price of CD's? They own the music and should be allowed to charge whatever they like. If you cant afford something then live without it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH IT'S THE RIAA EVERYBODY RUN!

E

ECA

I want to know what else downloading music could spell.

Dancing to some melodic trance as the soon goes down on a brazilian beach with a horde of naked women.

Although I imagine you'd have to download a lot for it to spell that, jail is much easier to spell.

P

pcg79

Originally posted by Any
How about you all realise that what you are doing is stealing? If you get caught you should face the consequences.

Why should the record companys lower the price of CD's? They own the music and should be allowed to charge whatever they like. If you cant afford something then live without it.

mr saddam controlled iraq. does that mean he could do whatever he wanted to iraqis ?

M

mank!

Originally posted by Any
Why should the record companys lower the price of CD's? They own the music and should be allowed to charge whatever they like.

Technically the artists own part of the right to it, and many artists are perfectly fine with mp3s. It's just the money grabbing capitalist pig dog whores who complain.

T

Tom

Originally posted by Any

How about your telecomms provider raises its prices to a level you cannot afford? They own the lines, so they can charge what they like, can't they? If you couldn't afford the internet, then live without it.

The RIAA should be thinking about 2 things - lobbying the government to impose sanctions against countries that allow pirating on a massive scale, and stopping record companies producing shit music that is more likely the cause of the drop in sales.

E

ECA

Personally I think anti-competition proceedings should be brought againt the record companies who give artists low percentage deals and keep the majority of the profit.

It should be like a book agent etc. they get you published an in stores and recieve a 10-15% cut.

Not the artist gets 10-15%.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Any

Depends on your notion of stealing. In a store I have removed the CD. It is gone. I moved it and changed its ownership.

On the internet I haven't removed it from anyone. They still have their copy, but a new one has been created.

Legally it may be theft but it doesn't feel like it to me so I don't give a fuck.

If your opinion differs then fine. Have your own. I don't mind.

W

WPKenny

"Downloading music could spell JAIL!"

I've been over it again and again but I still can't see how "Downloading music" is in anyway an anagram of "jail".

It's too many letters for a start. And "jail" is spelt using letters that aren't even in "downloading music".

How on earth could Downloading music spell JAIL?

E

ECA

Re: "Downloading music could spell JAIL!"

Originally posted by WPKenny
I've been over it again and again but I still can't see how "Downloading music" is in anyway an anagram of "jail".

It's too many letters for a start. And "jail" is spelt using letters that aren't even in "downloading music".

How on earth could Downloading music spell JAIL?

Depends on if you're a citizen of the USA.
They do all sorts of funny things.

Like color.

X

Xtro

Originally posted by Any

As I say in my post I bought the fucking CD. As usual if you buy the product you suffer.

Btw you're in a minority of one soapbox boy. Last time I looked Wunderbar by Tenpole Tudor wasn't freely available on the High St so I downloaded the piece of shite.

Btw kids - please don't steal CD's from shops, ask a responsible adult with big pockets to do it for you hmmkay?

W

Wij

Originally posted by Xtro
As I say in my post I bought the fucking CD. As usual if you buy the product you suffer.

Btw you're in a minority of one soapbox boy. Last time I looked Wunderbar by Tenpole Tudor wasn't freely available on the High St so I downloaded the piece of shite.

Btw kids - please don't steal CD's from shops, ask a responsible adult with big pockets to do it for you hmmkay?

You have a surplus apostrophe in there.

W

Wij

putting an apostrophe on a plural is a sure sign of an animal se><0r0r !!

X

Xtro

err..

hmmm..

/downloads Gummi Bears theme while chanting "Any! Do you mind if I download this as I cant buy it in HMV for some reason?"

A

Any

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
How about your telecomms provider raises its prices to a level you cannot afford? They own the lines, so they can charge what they like, can't they? If you couldn't afford the internet, then live without it.

I think that if a company is supplying something then they can charge whatever they like. If you dont like it then go somewhere else or setup something to compete. Except for vital things such as food/clothes etc.
Id class telecomms as something essential but not music.

I do think that the RIAA is going about this the wrong way. But i dont like it when people try to justify stealing by saying they dont want to pay the money for a CD.

Wij: Would you buy the music if you couldnt get it for free?

M

mank!

Originally posted by Any

Are you fucking retarded? The majority of people download stuff and if they like it, they go out and buy it. Those who have hard drives full of mp3s and only a few CDs are in the wrong, not those of us who only download stuff to 'try before you buy' or because you can't get it because HMV doesn't stock anything even slightly obscure.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Any
I think that if a company is supplying something then they can charge whatever they like. If you dont like it then go somewhere else or setup something to compete. Except for vital things such as food/clothes etc.

I do think that the RIAA is going about this the wrong way. But i dont like it when people try to justify stealing by saying they dont want to pay the money for a CD.

I bet I buy a damned sight more CDs than you.

X

Xtro

Originally posted by Any
If you dont like it then go somewhere else or setup something to compete.

Of course. By jove, I'll just go off and set up my own recording and distribution chain.

I bought an album. I cannot do with it what I want (which is all legal). I am fucked off. I had to download the songs. What...is...the...point in harming legit users?

Same for PC games, someone gets a pirate copy they dont have to fook about with all manner of odd copy protection. I've had to put up with lensloks (lol), code wheels, colour charts, keycodes - the works. Pirate installs and off he goes.

A

Any

Originally posted by Xtro
err..

hmmm..

/downloads Gummi Bears theme while chanting "Any! Do you mind if I download this as I cant buy it in HMV for some reason?"

Obviously i wasnt talking about stuff that you own or stuff that you cant buy.

X

Xtro

Originally posted by Any
Obviously i wasnt talking about stuff that you own or stuff that you cant buy.

/inserts David Blaine mind probe

Obviously.

Fair enough, will grumble but let you off :p

/edit: btw shagging to the Gummi Bears theme is strangely erotic but not as good as the Blue Peter theme obviously.

M

mank!

Actually, I just wondered - How many albums do you own Any?

E

ECA

Want to know how many CD's I owned before I heard about Napster?

Want to know how many I own now?

Probably over 100. Maybe 150.

Yes, I cost the record industry money.

Or alternatively the record industry is shooting itself in the foot churning out mass produced goblets of shite and blaming the internet for its pathetic business model and failure to provide digital music in a widespread manner.

T

Tom

Originally posted by Any

Telecomms is only essential to you because you couldn't see yourself being without it. Life is quite possible to live without access to the internet. Food and clothes? Well most people could quite easily grow their own food in their garden, its not hard, and for the rest of what you can't grow, you just go to your farmer. Therefore supermarkets and shops are not essential. Therefore they could charge £10 for a loaf of bread, and by your argument, that would be ok?

I'm always going to download songs from the internet, if I like them enough, I'll buy them, if they're ok, they'll sit on my HD and get played when I'm in the mood, if they're shit, they get deleted and I don't buy them. It's quite democratic, and I don't give a flying fuck if the record companies don't like it, they need to jump on the bandwagon, not try to derail it.

Anyway, why should I care about the record companies? They ruined the quality of Vinyl as soon as the CD came out, because they realised that stamping CDs was cheaper than stamping Vinyl, so they cut the costs in Vinyl production, and fucked over a lot of good albums that I bought (interesting how CDs still cost more than Vinyl). I have ZERO sympathy for them.

M

mank!

Originally posted by ECA
Want to know how many CD's I owned before I heard about Napster?

Want to know how many I own now?

Probably over 100. Maybe 150.

Ditto. I probably had about 30 odd CDs before I started using Napster, I'm know about the 350 mark. I could list a fair few bands I'd never have heard of without Napster/mates online sending me stuff and vice versa. There are bands I'd always wanted to check out but would never have got the opportunity because I didn't want to risk forking out £15 on a CD I might absolutely hate.

MP3s and music sharing has resulted in me forking out £200 a month on CDs whilst I was working. If MP3s didn't exist, I doubt I'd have brought even a fraction of the CDs I have.

A

Any

Time to clear things up. Im talking about people who download albums when they have no desire to buy the album. Which, in my experiance, is what most people do. I now realise that people on Barrysworld only download music as a trial which i think is fine regardles of what the RIAA says. :rolleyes:

But if you download an album, dont buy it but keep it anyway. Then that is stealing. Its this type of piracy that i would think(hope) the RIAA is trying to stop.

Originally posted by mank!
Actually, I just wondered - How many albums do you own Any?

About 200. Of that i would say about 10 are albums that i dont own.

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
Telecomms is only essential to you because you couldn't see yourself being without it. Life is quite possible to live without access to the internet. Food and clothes? Well most people could quite easily grow their own food in their garden, its not hard, and for the rest of what you can't grow, you just go to your farmer. Therefore supermarkets and shops are not essential. Therefore they could charge £10 for a loaf of bread, and by your argument, that would be ok?

Yes, i strongly belive that people should be able to charge whatever they like for the products or services they provide. And if it means allowing it for everything then so be it.

M

mank!

Originally posted by Any
Time to clear things up. Im talking about people who download albums when they have no desire to buy the album. Which, in my experiance, is what most people do.

Then you're wrong. Simple.

W

Will

The problem with allowing people to charge anything they like is that, when they have a monopoly, prices become too high due to lack of competition. As is the case with CDs.

Though where are you lot shopping, paying £15 per CD? Go to Fopp/Avalanche/your local independant music store.

T

Tenko

You notice by the way that computer software manufacturers aren't lining up box-cars in railway sidings to take away the downloaders to concentration camps?

Their products cost more to make and cost more to buy but they seem to be content with following a policy that doesnt criminalise their own customers, understanding the gain/loss of getting there product used over revenue loss from sales.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Any
download music as a trial which i think is fine regardles of what the RIAA says. :rolleyes:

About 200. Of that i would say about 10 are albums that i dont own.

You are a criminal, I hope you are sent to jail and repeatedly raped by large black men.

Users who are viewing this thread