Download speed?

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
So, i recently formated my PC. i normally got a 2.5MB internet connection. now - after i formated i cant download at higher speed then 10 kb/s. whats up with that? my bro is on the same line and he don't notice anything. a driver perhaps? i haven't encountered this before. anyone has?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
maybe you have the wrong settings? ports or something?

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
what program you using to download? we talking torrents? or just yer average downloading from web pages?

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Neffneff said:
what program you using to download? we talking torrents? or just yer average downloading from web pages?

average speed using IE and FF :(

normally i don`t use 5 hours to DL my gfx drivers from nvidia :(

and Psyco - dont think its wrong settings or annything. the PC just formated. like an hour ago. this occurred when i started to DL my drivers

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Basic_X said:
and Psyco - dont think its wrong settings or annything. the PC just formated. like an hour ago. this occurred when i started to DL my drivers

well it could be if you put them in wrong in the first place

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Nope, i don't think ive have. and right now im trying to DL daoc again on 30 kb/s. going to take flippn ages ;<

Laddey

FH is my second home
Basic_X said:
Nope, i don't think ive have. and right now im trying to DL daoc again on 30 kb/s. going to take flippn ages ;<

A sign to stop daoc.

Phone your ISP up. Thats what i used to do wondering why i was getting 2kb/s if i was lucky, then i realised i was on 56k.

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
A sign to stop daoc.

Phone your ISP up. Thats what i used to do wondering why i was getting 2kb/s if i was lucky, then i realised i was on 56k.

how odd that it just happened after my i formated my PC. and my brother (who is at my place atm) dont feel annything :(

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Formated my PC again. just to make sure it wasn't anny faulty drivers or anything. but the problem is still there. trying to DL gfx drivers. dont get more then 2.3kb/s :(

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Tried a complete restart of modems and routers aswell as PCs. now its even worse. 0.4 kb/s.

this is getting pathethic :(

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
check your isp site to know if theres anything wrong... other than that, i think i have a simerler problem, only mine isn't as bad

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
check your isp site to know if theres anything wrong... other than that, i think i have a simerler problem, only mine isn't as bad

give em a call. did one of their "on phone" tests. was nothing wrong from their pov. i was connected, the line was ok. right password and everything. so it seems like its my PC. im using a Windows XP SP2 CD. i allso got a xp SP1. should i try that one instead?

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
you are sharing the conneciton with your brother? you sure he isnt stealing all the bandwisth for himself? you sorted yerself with a firewall incase you're getting spammed via the internet?

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Neffneff said:
you are sharing the conneciton with your brother? you sure he isnt stealing all the bandwisth for himself? you sorted yerself with a firewall incase you're getting spammed via the internet?

got zone alarm and kicked my brother off the line. no change however. a ADSL test now shows that i got a 1mb line (been told by the isp that i got a 2.5mb ><). but i still just get around 20-30 kb/s :(

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Basic_X said:
got zone alarm and kicked my brother off the line. no change however. a ADSL test now shows that i got a 1mb line (been told by the isp that i got a 2.5mb ><). but i still just get around 20-30 kb/s :(

yep, think thats the egsact same problem as mine, only, were(me and my dad) are blaming the isp

keep me posted

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
It seems like the problem is "somewhat" solved itself, after doing lots of test it seems like its only daoc thats uberslow (EU files) and im Dling the lotm files from US at aprox 100 kb/s - and im considering that to be fairly good compared to the distance between us. however beeing down to around 300 kb/s on a download having a 2.5MB line is way to low. going to give my ISP a call on monday. damn this day has been annoying.

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
B= byte, b=bit, 1B=8b

2.5Mb = 2500kb = 312.5kB | 2.5MB = 20 000kB = 2500kb.

or was it the other way around? :p

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
think what you want tbh :p
wikipedia said:
Kilobit (abbreviated to kb with a lower case b) is not to be confused with the term kilobyte (abbreviated to kB with an upper case b)... The rule is: 8 bits = 1 byte

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
thergador said:
nope
the different size things m8

your shitting me? thats rediculas...

though, explains alot of questions i had about internet speed

what my 1mb connection isn't really relevant? cause pc's dont use the format?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Szape said:
both formats are valid, bits just looks better for marketing :p

well a pc doesn't really use em, considering they read bytes, so its like saying 5.8psi connection!

ps. isn't 'bit' used in old age consoles? ie, megadrive/genesis = 16bit

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
well a pc doesn't really use em, considering they read bytes, so its like saying 5.8psi connection!

A computer most certainly uses bits, You are very confused :)

A 'bit' is a single binary value, i.e. a '1' or a '0'.

A byte is an 8-bit word. i.e. 10101010 is a byte value. Hence if a computer uses bytes it also uses bits, making your statement above a bit contradictory! :)

Each bit in the word representing a value. i.e from right-to-left a byte's values are, 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128. The largest number expressible in any bit expression is given as (2^x) - 1 where x is the number of bits in the word. Hence the largest byte value is '11111111' or 255.

psyco said:
ps. isn't 'bit' used in old age consoles? ie, megadrive/genesis = 16bit

16bit actaully refers to the standard word length used by the particular piece of hardware/software and is still very important in modern computing. I.e. Windows vista is released in both 32bit and 64bit versions.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
A computer most certainly uses bits, You are very confused :)

A 'bit' is a single binary value, i.e. a '1' or a '0'.

A byte is an 8-bit word. i.e. 10101010 is a byte value. Hence if a computer uses bytes it also uses bits, making your statement above a bit contradictory! :)

Each bit in the word representing a value. i.e from right-to-left a byte's values are, 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128. The largest number expressible in any bit expression is given as (2^x) - 1 where x is the number of bits in the word. Hence the largest byte value is '11111111' or 255.

16bit actaully refers to the standard word length used by the particular piece of hardware/software and is still very important in modern computing. I.e. Windows vista is released in both 32bit and 64bit versions.

most of that is very confusing... but there are bits i understand

like its a sentence, but in binary code? or a word as you put it;)

regarding consoles, i noticed that pre 2000, consoles were marketed in X-bit, using that logic the x-box360, or ps3 should be 1012-bit+, yes? there graphics are far superior to many things you get on the pc(as i understand it, 'bits' are relative to speed/graphics), i assume still use the 8-bit system on the pc(that said there alot better than the old master system or nes), so, how come pcs graphics are 1000X better than 10 years ago, or do they act like a translator and understands other languages?

another question for you, why have we adopted 8-bit for calculating file size?

one final question, what about mili-bits? do they egsist, or is that a stupid question?

bah, and i thought i was a nerd:p but ty guys for clearing that up, very interesting

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
most of that is very confusing... but there are bits i understand

like its a sentence, but in binary code? or a word as you put it;)

regarding consoles, i noticed that pre 2000, consoles were marketed in X-bit, using that logic the x-box360, or ps3 should be 1012-bit+, yes?

No, most home system architectures are 32bit or 64bit. For example Xbox360 and Core duo CPU's are both 64bit processors.

psyco said:
there graphics are far superior to many things you get on the pc(as i understand it, 'bits' are relative to speed/graphics),

Not directly. There is a relationship but it is not explicit. Naturally as PC's have got more complicated, faster and the required computations have become more complicated the size of both integers, memory registers and the addressing bus has increased. The 64bit purely means that at the lower level most numbers and memory addresses are referenced via 64 bit addresses.

psyco said:
i assume still use the 8-bit system on the pc(that said there alot better than the old master system or nes), so, how come pcs graphics are 1000X better than 10 years ago, or do they act like a translator and understands other languages?

See above :) Pc's are not 8bit anymore.

psyco said:
another question for you, why have we adopted 8-bit for calculating file size?

A 1 or 0 by itself doesn't mean much does it?
In early data files each character in the file was represented via ascii . In Ascii each byte represents a character for example; 01000001 = 65 = 'A' , 01000010 = 66 = 'B' and so on. From this you can see a byte became the basic 'chunk' of data ( i.e. a character ) and so it became natural to measure in those chunks.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII for more info regarding ascii,

psyco said:
one final question, what about mili-bits? do they egsist, or is that a stupid question?

A bit is either 'on' or 'off', i.e. 1 or 0, thus is the lowest level of granulation for integer precision. There is no logical lower level, every number can be represented as a combination of bits (and floating points).

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
RWAR lessons on binary and ascii on FH! who woulod of thought.

just to throw this in, the main reason we have been progressing to higher Bits, ie 8bit, 16 bit, etc etc 64bit, is because there is a limitation in the system for how LARGE a number can be generated within each system, as an up-to date example imagine trying to allocate a different number, or address, to each and every bit of memory, within a 32 bit environment/system this limits the amount of memory to 4 GBs, up until recently this was fine, but these days we're progressing to the point where we want to pass this limit, and hence, 64bit is beginning to become necesary so that we can use more than 4GB of memory.

really though if you want to know how this shizzle all works, and why the industry is driven in particualr ways, wikipedia is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom