Double Arm Transplant !

Zede

Part of the furniture
Surgeons: German farmer gets double arm transplant - Yahoo! News

At the beginning of Count Zero by William Gibson, the main protagonist gets blown to pieces by a grenade, he is "rebuilt" & goes on his merry way.

Give it oh say 25 years or so, i reckon a full body transplant will indeed be possible.

i for one intend to download myself into some ROM chip when Im 80, if not sooner !

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Wouldn't be surprised if in 300 years time you'll be able to stick your stumps / limb remains in a bucket of liquid and nanobots will rebuild the limb in a few hours.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
i for one intend to download myself into some ROM chip when Im 80, if not sooner !

See, that idea scares me abit. I'm all for it, but the "counciousness" is the bit I'm scared of, same with cloning and having brain moved across.. Would I remember I was myself? Would I feel like I would? Is odd. If you know what I mean.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Yeah but someone was gonna make the joke, so I felt obliged. :D

Zede

Part of the furniture
See, that idea scares me abit. I'm all for it, but the "counciousness" is the bit I'm scared of, same with cloning and having brain moved across.. Would I remember I was myself? Would I feel like I would? Is odd. If you know what I mean.

Cyberpunk fiction deals with this rather well. In the "Cassini Division" by Ken Macleod, everyone is imprinted with a back up chip, an those who are "pure" ie have not had to use it, view those who have as not quite right, unclean etc..

That is until the books main char dies, back up kicks in & its no different, and shes well pissed off !

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
You've gotta hand it to them though, its a hell of a feat to perform, replacing both arms. I've seen some of the work they do during these operations, and its quite fiddly work to say the least. As long as he knuckles down from this point on, he'll have the world in the palm of his hands, able to give a middle finger at his critics and grasp the future firmly.

At the very lest, he'll be able to scratch is own balls again.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
You've gotta hand it to them though, its a hell of a feat to perform, replacing both arms. I've seen some of the work they do during these operations, and its quite fiddly work to say the least. As long as he knuckles down from this point on, he'll have the world in the palm of his hands, able to give a middle finger at his critics and grasp the future firmly.

At the very lest, he'll be able to scratch is own balls again.

He'll do all those things he had trouble with before - hold down a job, seeming as before now they've probably only given him the cold shoulder. And he can't point fingers at anyone else for that accident, though he might now be able to point to the machinery that did it. At least he's out of that horrible state of limbo.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Surgeons: German farmer gets double arm transplant - Yahoo! News

At the beginning of Count Zero by William Gibson, the main protagonist gets blown to pieces by a grenade, he is "rebuilt" & goes on his merry way.

Give it oh say 25 years or so, i reckon a full body transplant will indeed be possible.

I love you for quoting William Gibson's work :).

Mey

Part of the furniture

To quote frank herbert in children of dune:

"My skin is not my own"..

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
True he wont be able to pick up where he left off, and true, he did drop the ball by loosing his arms in the first place. As long as he holds on, he can regain what he's lost, and lift himself out of any rut he may be in. And his social life can get back on track, he can reach out and touch someone, using a phone or e-mail.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
True he wont be able to pick up where he left off, and true, he did drop the ball by loosing his arms in the first place. As long as he holds on, he can regain what he's lost, and lift himself out of any rut he may be in. And his social life can get back on track, he can reach out and touch someone, using a phone or e-mail.

And he can use that phone with a handsfree without being reminded of an awful truth; he'll reach for the stars; never have to leapfrog anyone without it being awkward; ofc as always he'll be able to stand on his own two feet but tripping won't be such a problem. Of an evening he can pat himself on the back and settle down with a good book; maybe Ernest Hemmeingway's 'A Farewell to Arms' to begin with. :cheers:

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
And he can use that phone with a handsfree without being reminded of an awful truth; he'll reach for the stars; never have to leapfrog anyone without it being awkward; ofc as always he'll be able to stand on his own two feet but tripping won't be such a problem. Of an evening he can pat himself on the back and settle down with a good book; maybe Ernest Hemmeingway's 'A Farewell to Arms' to begin with. :cheers:

Here Here, 3 cheers to that man.

There, I think I got it all out of my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom