Donnie Darko

asarithia

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone seen this movie? I'm sure some have. But I haven't. Ordered it a few days ago. Is it worth watching? :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
asarithia said:
Has anyone seen this movie? I'm sure some have. But I haven't. Ordered it a few days ago. Is it worth watching? :)

The general census on this board is that it's a bloody good show.

Once you've seen the film, you may want to click here. Spoilers abound, so only after you've seen the film, kay?

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
I absolutely love it. Razor-sharp dialogue and the main actor dude is brilliant. Whether or not I "get" it, now that's another story.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Very very good, the story is excellent, if not slightly puzzling.

Whether or not I "get" it, now that's another story.

Hit the nail on the head right there bud :p

Sar

Part of the furniture
I didn't really like it tbh.

Just confused the hell outta me, and that takes some doing.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its an amazing film. Very much underrated by the masses.

leggy

Probably Scottish
The problem is, it's become a bit too cult and I don't think that many people have the balls to say they genuinely didn't like it.

The first time I saw it (about 2001 in the states) I was genuinely undecided. On repeat viewing there is no doubting that it's an awsome film.

Cthulhu

Fledgling Freddie
It's superb.

John Hughes 80's teen flick meets David Lynch and then some....

asarithia

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like the majority on this forum like the film. any similar movies if there are any? By similarities I mean the, as some people call it, great diaolgue etc?

Cthulhu said:
John Hughes 80's teen flick meets David Lynch and then some....
And of course. everyone have seen Twin peaks and some people love it. I'm one of those actually. :) Love the "strange feeling" in it. I just hope this movie is somewhat similar since you mention him here :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
I love it, but my advice is watch it the first time round and let it wash over you. Let it sink in for a couple of days and watch it again, then if you ever get the chance watch it with the directors commentary. I found it made the film much more enjoyable.

canny

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
I love it, but my advice is watch it the first time round and let it wash over you. Let it sink in for a couple of days and watch it again, then if you ever get the chance watch it with the directors commentary. I found it made the film much more enjoyable.

agreed, I watched it for the first time and thought what the hell, then couple weeks later I watched it a couple of times and I found that the more I watch it, the better it gets!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
asarithia said:
Seems like the majority on this forum like the film. any similar movies if there are any? By similarities I mean the, as some people call it, great diaolgue etc?

More or less anything by the Coen brothers, including The Big Lebowski, and The Man who was Never There.

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
I watched it for the first time yesterday and thought it was a great film. Superb tone , atmosphere and a simply haunting performance by the lead actor. Plus any film which opens with the killing moon is well worth a watch :)

asarithia

Fledgling Freddie
Great things have been said about this movie here on Freddy'sHouse. Now I really want to see the movie, but they haven't even shipped it yet! :( Stupid internet-ordering

Astfgl

Fledgling Freddie
It'll be worth the wait... but you'll probably have to watch it twice to understand it... I know I did!!

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
I liked this film, not quite sure why though. Think it was mainly the atmosphere. I liked the way the characters interacted... nothing is completely typical in this film, nothing happens exactly as you expect. Weird, slightly unsettling... I should watch it again actually, really didn't get the ending.

Also, the soundtrack (and use of music in general) is excellent.

asarithia

Fledgling Freddie
Astfgl said:
It'll be worth the wait... but you'll probably have to watch it twice to understand it... I know I did!!
Now that's exactly what a great film is! A movie you only watch once isn't really that great, but a movie you HAVE to watch more than one time is mostly worth the money! :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
A very disturbing film. I was expected the usual hollywood fare, shag the bird, save the world, etc.

The film got me thinking... usually, after I watch a film, I think...good / bad... new where's meh T-Shirt.

I actually sat and thought about the film, and it's meaning for about an hour and a half... not everyday you get a film which alters your perceptions of reality.

Oh, and the song just before the end... name and author please???

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
not everyday you get a film which alters your perceptions of reality.

Oh, and the song just before the end... name and author please???

Need I say Mulholland drive? :D

Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Gombur Glodson said:
Need I say Mulholland drive? :D
Good film, especially if you want to have your brain ripped out of your skull and stamped on.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Or you just fancy watching the kinky lesbo scenes :D

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Try Memento, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, another vote for Mulholland Drive (contains lesbo action *cough*), Ichi The Killer, Das Experiment, Audition, Salo, Welcome to the Dollhouse, The Company of Men, The Idiots, Funny Games and Man Bites Dog.

asarithia

Fledgling Freddie
At last I got the movie. It was a bit confusing the first time I watched it. But I couldn't resist to watch it again a few hours later, and that's when I started understanding most of the parts of the film.

Excellent movie! I think i'll have to watch it again really soon! :) And Xtro, i'll try to get some of those movies too. hehe

Astfgl

Fledgling Freddie
I think I've seen Man Bites Dog. Isn't it some black and white Belgian thing? About a murderer?

If it is, then yes, it is very good. If not, then I now feel silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom