Domains and more domains....

What name do we use?

• Total voters

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saturday night myself and Ben were talking about the whole BarrysWorld/GAME.NET thing and came up with a couple of ideas.

In the time before BarrysWorld there existed a small community called Freddy's House, this evolved into Tortured Souls and then eventually became BarrysWorld as it is today.

Ben and I both think it would be great to make this place a hobby again for all concerned, this linking into Freddy's House, the hobby that grew up.

So I have registered freddyshouse.com (just in case any bastards here try to nick it :p)

Comments? Plus it sounds better than realbarrysworld.com :clap:

btw, #freddyshouse is live on quakenet IRC

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can you give us a bit more background, ie why it was called Freedy's House in the first place? I'm assuming it's cos someone called Freddy set it up, but if so who IS Freddy??? :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jupitus said:
Can you give us a bit more background, ie why it was called Freedy's House in the first place? I'm assuming it's cos someone called Freddy set it up, but if so who IS Freddy??? :)
Nah nothing so sinister. Just a name myself and Ben came up with if I can remember back that far. Just had a nice ring to it. Ben may be able to shed more light on it, he has a better memory than me despite being far older!!!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I guess it might grow on me ;)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
freddys house is a good name :) - I like it as long as freddyshouse is green :clap:

bigfoot

Fledgling Freddie
I don't mind too much really what it is called (is the people that important) but I would imagine that most of the people who come across would prefer to see it called BarrysWorld, something that quite a lot of people had an affinity for.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
bigfoot said:
I don't mind too much really what it is called (is the people that important) but I would imagine that most of the people who come across would prefer to see it called BarrysWorld, something that quite a lot of people had an affinity for.
Yes but we may not be able to and what better than to go to b4 BW was born, FreddysHouse :)

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
I was simply "concerned" that if we allude to the name BarrysWorld its a brand owned by a 3rd party, and therefore not something we have complete control over.
Also, as T says, Freds House was the first name and the original home of Clan Fluffy (where all this shit started), and as we're going back to our roots, ie a purely voluntary service run on good will and donations, I thought it might be nice to go back to the old name too.
Whilst all of us connected with BW are proud of the name we have to conceed we dont own the name, although game are being nice about it, and we want to get control again, and not have any more 3rd parties having a say in our world.

A brief history.
Back in the early 90's several of us all worked at Direct Line Insurance and occasionally played Doom2 in lans. Then Heretic and Hexen and Duke Nukem 3D.
However, the shit hit the fan when Quake came out. I dont think any of us really liked the original Quake and it was only when the add-on Quakeworld was released did we finally get going.
I asked Tony to fire up a server for us, and he, in his usual style ;) told me to "fuck off and work out how, I dont have the time, then let me know".
Hence our first server and thus was born Clan Fluffy.

We had reasonable bandwidth and reasonable servers and we helped 2 leagues, the UKCL and the MCW, as they'd been running on JANet and had stress for using all their bandwidth.
We called those servers "Freds House" and "Freddys House" (it depends, and we didnt care) for no better reason than we were being secretive about stuff, as most of our resources were "borrowed". We then moved hosting location and called them "Freddies 2" and then, after a bit of arsing around in a few clans like Fallen Angels and Rude Monkeys, we became Tortured Souls.
Soon the servers became such a large part of what we did, we seperated out the server side of TS into its own entity. Tony asked me what we should call it. We had a few machines then and I'd offered Tony the naming convention "Characters in Robert Rankin books" and the first machine was called Barry.
Hence BarrysWorld.
It was just a joke, it wasnt meant to be taken seriously.

Anyway, I suspect that it would be wise to post "Our History and why we call it Freddys House now" in an announcement or a sticky thread or something, to explain to people where we came from and why we've gone back.
To Tony and I it made perfect sense, but we both know it takes a little explaining.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Might I respectfully suggest that almost anything that makes sense to you and Tony is more than likely going to need alot of explaining to the sane audiences out there?

:D

Thanks for the background - I vote for FreddysHouse :clap:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jupitus said:
Might I respectfully suggest that almost anything that makes sense to you and Tony is more than likely going to need alot of explaining to the sane audiences out there?

:D

Thanks for the background - I vote for FreddysHouse :clap:

Bastard!! Ben and I are mad? God no? Are we? Really? Never!!

Oooh I know, a poll!!!

/me goes to play

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
I say go for Freddys. BW, sadly, is dead now.. lets start again and build FH into was BW once was.

After all, it's just a name ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Also suggest rolling the 'books/tv/music/films' sub forums into one single 'entertainment' or 'arts' forum?

Trebz

One of Freddy's beloved
BarrysWorld was always a gay name, FreddysHouse is just as gay, so I see no problem with it :) Better than a poor brand of cola.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Trebz said:
BarrysWorld was always a gay name, FreddysHouse is just as gay, so I see no problem with it :) Better than a poor brand of cola.

:kissit: ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom