Dolly is Dead!

R

Rubber Bullets

Not of course our own dear DollySheep, but the original Dolly the Sheep.

So much for cloning then, not for the first time a cloned animal dies young. Lets hope the stories of clonned babies that were around at New Year were false.

s

T

Testin da Cable

poor sheepeh :( I wonder what they'll clone next?

T

Testin da Cable

I'd rather not. One of him is more than enough for my sexual needs.

E

ECA

Ahem.
Dolly was put down, because she'd developed a respiratory disease, it wasnt related to the cloning process.

Still, the greenies need something to whinge about.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by ECA
Ahem.
Dolly was put down, because she'd developed a respiratory disease, it wasnt related to the cloning process.

Still, the greenies need something to whinge about.

It had progressive lung disease which comes on the top of the arthritis it developed last year, both of which it developed well before it should of in natural terms. Thus it could be linked to premature aging which can also be linked to cloning....something which even the creators are waiting to find out.

R

Rubber Bullets

I think that the idea is that genetically a clone is the age of whatever it was cloned from.

In human terms this means that when a cloned baby is born it is developmentally newborn but genetically 25 - 30 years old. Therefore when it reaches 25 - 30 years old itself it will already be developing the age related diseases of a 50 - 60 year old (arthritus etc.)

Dolly had developed the age related diseases of a much older sheep.

s

S

Summo

What? Ludicrous.

"I may be new-born but my organs believe they are 50 years old and so I expect to die in 30-or-so years. Damn my organs and their little brains."

R

Rubber Bullets

I can't claim to be any kind of expert Summo, but I did a little reading before posting what I did.

I don't think it is definite proof, but it sounds logical at least.

s

M

Munkey-

its all to do, I think, with the cells that are taken out. As cells reproduce themselves, they start to pick up errors each time they are copied i.e. like photocopying a piece of paper again and again.

Thus the cells taken out would have the same (transcription?) errors and would develop in dolly.

or something.

I'm just saying this to sound scientific

Users who are viewing this thread