Dog.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
A couple close chums know that we lost out beloved dog a few months back, he is truly and deeply missed. He wasn't normal to us he was way above anything you may imagine a dog being to a family. Honestly I could cry now typing this.

Anyway we may be ready for another, for me and for the dog we still have, he still misses his mate terribly and has taken to sleep howling in the middle of the night which he never did before when Olly was alive. I need another dog as therapy more than anything, something to take my mind off stuff going on everyday, I want to do what I have to do in the morning then come home and take the dogs to a field for an hour (present dog is a shit on his own, he needs to be with another dog to behave).

So, I have a definite breed in mind, it was 100% Golden Retriever and I spoke to throddy about his lovely dog but I have now changed my mind partly because there aren't any available close to me and partly because I need a little reminder of our last dog so, pointers. German or English short haired pointer will be our next dog, do any of you have or ever had any experience of this breed of dog? Olly was a pointer/collie cross so I aren't sure which traits he had of those two breeds.

The other thing, fuck me they are expensive, it really is an industry, they make up names like labraweiler and sell them for £800 instead of just calling them fucking mongrels. Pissed me right off. Cunts :eek:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Can you adopt from a local rescue centre?

They tend to have websites now :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
As above, get a bog-standard dog mk1 from a rescue centre, at least it won't have health issues like the special breeds.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, far better off getting a rescue dog, loads need homes!

Trem

Yes, this I did forget to say I have been to our local rescue centres and we are close friends with people who are heavily involved with one of them. We need a puppy with no history because we have kids and neither rescue centre had any. The dog we lost was from the local dogs home, we aren't snobs about it at all.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
If you like Golden Retrievers have you looked at Labrador Retrievers? Pretty much the same dog but black.

We had one when i grew up and i still get sad thinking about him. Had a real character and super child friendly.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Labradors are awesome especially with kids.

They do have a tendancy to be greedy and can get fat quickly!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Half of them are complexly mad too, excellent dogs.

My mates Labrador runs off to fetch its bed every time I go round, starts dragging it around the house behind me.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Half of them are complexly mad too, excellent dogs.

My mates Labrador runs off to fetch its bed every time I go round, starts dragging it around the house behind me.

Let's face it....you've given the dog one...havn't you???!! :eek:

Trem

@Lester has labradors and we have spoken to the breeder he used to get his from but I had a moment at the weekend and it all went tits up regarding labs. I decided I needed a little reminder, rightly or wrongly, of Olly, even if it's just his ears.

We looked at some english pointers last night, more interested in mum and dad than the babies. Oh god they were beautiful dogs, so handsome and gentle but, really flat, sort of no character. Now that may be their upbringing or it may be what you get with certain pedigree breeds. The dads dad was a Crufts champion so maybe he's just a ponce.

German pointers on Sunday.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Get a sherman shep, no better kid dog around :p

Though i'm biased since mine helped me steal cookies from the counter when i was 5.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Let's face it....you've given the dog one...havn't you???!! :eek:

No, I spurn her every time! Once I acknowledge the presence of the bed she takes it back again and fetches something else, usually a teatowel or bath towel.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Excuse to post a picture of my Flat Coated Retriever, Baxter.. He was 8 weeks then. He's 18 months now and 35kg.

9134408158_f8cb7ed950.jpg

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I got to play with a 10 week old black lab last night, he was gorgeous. I would love one, but being on my own I don't think its fair to leave it at home all day

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah that's what stops me from getting a dog. I currently have 2 cats because you can just leave them to get on with it, ideally I would have both.
Although I am fairly certain one of my cats thinks it is a dog, fetches, sleeps in odd positions, begs for food (you know that staring they do where they watch every mouthful) It even has an odd meow that sounds like a slightly high pitched bark.

Trem

Excuse to post a picture of my Flat Coated Retriever, Baxter.. He was 8 weeks then. He's 18 months now and 35kg.

9134408158_f8cb7ed950.jpg

Saw one of these this morning on my walk, I think it was anyway, like a golden retriever but black? It was immensely beautiful anyway and huge but lovely and I wanted it. Fred my jack russell on the other hand was not taken at all.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yes, like a Golden retriever only black, (sometimes brown, which are known as Liver, but they are rare) usually a bit taller and leaner too. People often ask what kind of Setter is he...?

Baxter is the 5th I've had of this breed. I wouldn't have anything else. They are a bit loony, and never grow up, but they are so soft, affectionate and loyal. His best friend is my 6 year old daughter, they are a very good breed around kids.

Trem

Yes, like a Golden retriever only black, (sometimes brown, which are known as Liver, but they are rare) usually a bit taller and leaner too. People often ask what kind of Setter is he...?

Baxter is the 5th I've had of this breed. I wouldn't have anything else. They are a bit loony, and never grow up, but they are so soft, affectionate and loyal. His best friend is my 6 year old daughter, they are a very good breed around kids.

This is a stupid question but one I research, I know Mossy will live well into his teens for @throdgrain because GR's do but what age will Baxter likely live until? I need many years before I even have to think about losing another dog. I would love a great dane but they don't live long enough.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Unsure how stating a dogs expected lifespan is pathetic...

Olgaline

FH is my second home
He decided to let me know I spelled Rhodesian with an i instead of e ....

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yeah 10 years is about right as an average. My last one, Nessa lived to 13, but the one before only made it to 8.

The health of the breed, if you go with a good breeder, is getting a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom