Does Planetside change you?

J

Jupitus

Been pondering this on and off since it was said to me. Bear in mind, this is aimed at those who came from a RPG background like myself, rather than you more seasoned FPS gamers, though comments are welcome of course.

Back in my DAOC days (and other RPGs) Jup's always been the reasonable guy. Guild leader and all round nice chap. Never had anyone on my ignore list. Still (after so many months) have people asking me to go back to DAoC. Member of Kemor's E&E team I'd help anyone who asked, no question. Advising people who others (Brannor) would have simply reported, talking stuff through with people and so on. Trying to fight in RvR was absolutely terrifying. I'd never fight other players in RPGs and I would actually shake when trying to hit someone.

A couple of days ago, piloting the Galaxy for the joint PL and BS teams we've had running (Been enjoying the teamwork alot guys) when some numbnuts from our own faction starts shooting at the galaxy. Without hesitation, I'm on voice:

'Can someone please kill that fuckwit'

and duly someone hopped out and dispatched said annoyance, for which I thanked them before we loaded up and got underway.

Couple of seconds later, Boomhowser, in outfit chat:

'Planetside's changed you, Jup'

.. and it set me thinking.

This isn't about the rights and wrongs of TKing, it's more about people in general.... anyone got comments?

T

throdgrain

You got a lot to learn . Come play Counter-Strike we'll teach you :)

O

old.ivan

Thats why i was almost always solo in Planetside ... there was so much bs in squad chat sometimes, so many numpties <not in DMWs or PL squads for that matter> it was driving me insane.
Example :
Tanks shooting the same tower door the infantry was going through, ramboes rushing downstairs when people are using nades/rockets for suppression , jumping over people blocking the doors with their booties... After playing 4-5 hours non-stop i actually was starting to think that NC have gone mad and i should delete and join Vanu freaks.

In MMO games i hate soloing, in PS however it was bliss. So imo it does change people in a way.
Of course your case, Jup, can be treated as roleplay :) Were taking fire from an unknown source on the ground ... airborne personnel was dispatched to eliminate potential threat :) mission complete, better safe than sorry :)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by old.ivan
Of course your case, Jup, can be treated as roleplay :) Were taking fire from an unknown source on the ground ... airborne personnel was dispatched to eliminate potential threat :) mission complete, better safe than sorry :)

Hehe... nice try :)

Doesn't really cover the guy from the night before who I ran over about 3 times (deliberately) and then killed in the CC room later also. He'd been a right annoying twat and deserved it, trying to get me grief points by refusing to get away from my tank so I just decided to kill him on sight.

Was amusing later when he turned up in a tank too :p

I think I've finally stopped roleplaying, tbh. Real me. Get pissed off with people, will TK them. Sod the grief points.

Actually, I'm generally very careful about my GP count, so when I do lose my temper at least I don't have to worry about weapons lock etc :)

Oh, and Ivan... get your ugly butt back ingame. Now.

S

Spinky

In daoc i never tk'ed :eek:

But now when i play Planetside and i see Jup, the temptation usually proves too great to resist ;p.

<Fondly remembers nicking Jups Vanguard and proceeding to hit him several times with it>

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Spinky
In daoc i never tk'ed :eek:

But now when i play Planetside and i see Jup, the temptation usually proves too great to resist ;p.

I guess I walked right into that one :D

<Fondly remembers nicking Jups Vanguard and proceeding to hit him several times with it>

Probably walked right into that one too ;)

Spinky get online. I'll pay yer subs for a month, just come play :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Will ye pay mine? As im a poor bastard :(

X

Xtro 2.0

Heh I actually went the other way.

Coming from a FPS background (Quake, Tribes etc) I'm VERY used to ingame chat and behaviour being a bit...spicy ;) Tribes in particular had some great inbuilt taunts that used to piss people off no end. Clan games would be very tense and a massive adrenalin rush (especially Tribes CTF - jetpacks 4 teh win!).

Then moving on to MMO games I definitely chilled the hell out. I'd take time to help newbies, get to know people and soak the game up. I think some of the hardcore carebears would be shocked though when instead of just ignoring muppet players I'd go a bit psycho on them (lol@US daoc lot who think us Brits would all be prim and proper, I got thrown out of a guild for calling a prime leech/robber/whiner player a ****).

I didn't particularly lose my rag playing PS although Yoni and DMW might point out otherwise ;)

I had a zero tolerance level with muppets in PS. Any crap and I wouldn't even bother engaging in conversation I'd TK them answer their nano second later flame with a smile and put them on ignore.

S

SoWat

Having played both FPS and DAoC before Planetside, it comes as no surprise to find people losing it now and then.

Think about it, you're totally absorbed in your activity. When someone interrupts your experience you do get annoyed. The only difference is that as a new player you're more likely to let it slide as it's probably not happened that much.

As a PS vet, you've probably seen this happen a lot of times, each time you see it it ratchets the intolerance level down a notch or two (sort of like a personal grief system).

Plus you're an evil bastard :cool:

Cadire - Retired Vanu Grunt

J

Jupitus

Well I think basically, since I really am an evil bastard, I'm just slowly falling out of roleplaying nice Jup... shit that's quite a hangover after so many months out of the game :(

Wierd thing to realise:eek:

D

Deadmanwalking

Evil bastards can't be mods..... :(

Jupitus sucks

VOTE DEADMANWALKING!! :clap:#

Edit: That better?

TehJupEdit (tm): I am soooo tempted to abuse my evil powers :p

T

Turamber

Funnily enough I find that in DAOC I have a propensity to getting too serious ... but with Planetside I didn't really get upset, or even particularly happy, about anything.

Maybe 'cos in the former I felt like I could make a difference, whereas nothing I did in Planetside seemed to matter at all. Was fun, yes, but not to the same degree I enjoyed (and now reenjoying) in DAOC.

But - who knows - in a few months I might feel the opposite way about it ;) The beauty of games being that one can pick 'em up and put 'em down again. Unless you're one of the 1337 saddos of course :p

Y

Yoni

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Evil bastards can't be mods..... :(

Jupitus sucks

VOTE DEADMANWALKING!! :clap:#

Edit: That better?

TehJupEdit (tm): I am soooo tempted to abuse my evil powers :p

Interesting thought there dmw - so at last you admit i am wubbleh and not evil :clap:

*runs to show bigfoot that I have converted yet another unsuspecting innocent* :uhoh:

As for the new evil jup well he learned from previous evil moderators

*points at Xtro*:p

M

Milkshake

I'd take time to help newbies, get to know people and soak the game up.

Ahhhhahahahahahahah, hahahahahahahaaaahahahahaha...

God Xtro, you make me laugh sometimes :D

R

Rigon-Noir-

Good thread this Jup and a dam fine question.

I'm half and half ( no, i haven't got balls and tits, although....:D). I started my online life in Ultima (prior to that i was a complete console junky, mostly RPG's). Eventually i was dragged to CS by an old mate of mine and after a stint in a few clans we started our own (-=WRK=- or White Rose (the K stands for killers but when we realised it meant we killed our own is was too late :D))and forked out for a server.

I'd had a great time in UO and when i moved to CS i was shocked, pretty much the first time i'd seen chat that included stuff like "STFU noob" and so on but eventually you get used to it. Hammered CS to death till we'd had enough and the same guy (Bondino) and a Girl i'd played UO with from Sweden (Bless her) convinced me to move to DAOC (bought on day of UK release and never looked back, only sideways :D). I guess by this time i had a mix of online attitudes in my head but most (only most) of the people i met in DAOC were fine (too many of the elite still there so i can't see me rushing back although i do still have my acc's).

Planetside is a whole new kettle of fish for me, the elements of realm/faction play is still there as in UO/DAOC but the selfish single playing FPS gamer is also there, as in "STFU Noob" (yes, i had it constantly off one guy despite my BR and CR and length of time in PS).

I still play Vietcong a lot so i'm never too far away from some assholes. Found Planetside actually keeps me a lot calmer and don't often find myself needing to do a /tell <name> NOB (i know, i'm immature :D).

I will be moving back to a RPG at some point, tbh, hoping to give one of the lesser ones a go, you never know, applied for beta on stuff like Wish and UXO becuase they might just have a winner on their hands. Still looking at the front runners as well tho like EQ2, DE (applied for, looks great) and WOW so expect to be around for sometime.

Anyway Jup, Thanks for opening a thread that lets me do the whole "online life story bit", sorry for anyone that read it all, blame our beloved mod, he left it right open :D

X

Xtro 2.0

Originally posted by Milkshake
Ahhhhahahahahahahah, hahahahahahahaaaahahahahaha...

God Xtro, you make me laugh sometimes :D

Lol I DID and you know it :) Ok when I blow my top its spectacular as you know but it doesnt happen TOO much :p

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Ohhh... a new thread in the PS forums. ;)

Well - I used to be a grumpy bastard playing DAoC (as pixie might confirm).

All the self important blabber from no-life kids, the 1337 talk and the Shakespearian bullshit rp style some people had just made the most important part of the game, the rping, unenjoyable for me. So I soloed most of the time... and finally gave up playing completely.

The PS community seems to be alot more mature for some reason.. so I aer friendly most of the time and let Jup do the bitching.

... started playing SW:G a while ago - and I have a blast playing. Exploring this gigantic universe will keep me busy and entertained until the next good MMORPG is out.

And yes ... I'll be back on Auraxis. (just in case Jup is ready to give me an :upyours: with the mod stick). ;)

S

Stonebits

Well Ive gone full circle...... (just call me Michael Palin)

Stared off online playing HL Team Fortress Classic... ended up in a clan (FUNK) and had a great laugh with the guys there, but also had alot of 'idiots' around when not playing 'clan' games (and sometimes in clan games too) so im used to the slanging matches etc etc..... From that I went onto RTCW..... and then I discovered DAOC......

Id played Everquest in the past (concurrently with playing TFC), so already had my beard, but i loved the idea of DAOC, thew realm v realm....

So for the last year (or two?) ive been stuck in DAOC.... but the moment I found planetside it encompassed everything I wanted in a game... FPS, evenly matched (no RR10 for teh win), and all Player v Player action..... yummy....

So..... as to changing you.... naaah..... DAOC is a different kettle of fish....

You cant TK' in DAOC.... and you cant message inter-realm... so no chance of that Wizzy you have just clubbed to death spamming you ''**%^^ w^&k noob''....

Just imagine in DAOC if you could hit your own realm mates... would make it a very different game... some sod starts killing the mob you were camping... you attack him....

Anyway, enough going off on tangents... im off to play :p

B

bone_idle

How is Planetside now. I havent played for 2 months. Is that Vanu gun still Uber or did it get toned down in the end. And have they actually nerfed our beloved striker yet?

Boneidle BR19 TR.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by bone_idle
How is Planetside now. I havent played for 2 months. Is that Vanu gun still Uber or did it get toned down in the end. And have they actually nerfed our beloved striker yet?

Boneidle BR19 TR.

Well I'm still loving it... there is an upcoming major 'balance' patch which may make things interesting but I'm waiting to see... then I'm not really concerned about who is uber or not, just like having fun, win or lose :)

Y

Yoni

plz dont farm your posts its not irc :)

*waves moderating stick at deadkid*

Users who are viewing this thread