Do you regret starting playing mmorpg games? / How has is changed you?

Do you regret starting playing online/mmorpg games?

• Total voters

blejs

Loyal Freddie
Well i just wonder how this game or online game have changed you.

Have you fucked up irl? I can tell from my own experince that i fucked up alot of shit i have needed to fix in irl. Cause i have had problems always playing little. For me its been more like either play alot or dont play at all.

Its started for me getting comp when i was around 13-14y old, and staying up late and doing ircwar on ircnet and takeovers of channels that lead to my last year i had like 5subjects i was about to fail, but lucky enough i fixed it within the end of the semester.

After that next experince for me was starcraft. And ofc play kinda alot there, but not even close on how much i play daoc now.
Daoc lead anyway that my gymnasium got kinda screwed up and grades wastn good at all.
So now i am 23y old and trieng to read up the subjects so i can read on a univiersity later if i feel like, but also this isnt going well enough. I often skip doing whati need to do and then try to do all stuff at same time. And its pressure that stuff needed to be done. Cant just sit on arse all life etc :)

What i need to is to fix a parttime job, fix my grades. Then either a work i will enjoy or study to something i will like working with in the future. Add to this move away from home and get driver licencse.

I dunno why i am writing this at all, just felt like sharing some i suppse :]

Cause i always find stuff to do in daoc thats needed to fix. Like now i got my self my sm to rr9 atleast, then i went summ on him to fix stuff for my savvi 8l2 so farming artis/scrolls/drops with sm so i can fix savvi. And then i am gonna need ml xp from 3 to 7 and then last mls, and then all the leveling of the artis. Then what will i do? Well RvR ofc is always a option, but then get bored some maybe fixxur thane for upcomming patch or just pl some hibbi char, did my animist to 20-49.7 or something when prydwen was down.

So thats always a option to. Always so much time u can spend on this game and get more stuff. When you should do so many others things in irl as i have written above, study,get driver license, meet new ppl! :)

Well i think this was the end of my babbling, i can awnser on my pool atleast.
Even tho i have meet alot of nice ppl i still wonder were i would be today if i wouldnt have started playing online games. So i do regret i did start with this daoc. And i do wish i can settle with some gaming and alot more irling.

Cause a saying its, your life isnt the days that goes by, but the memorys you remember.

And irl memorys is alot more stuff to remember then some daoc stuff. Cause daoc stuff is more personal and ppl that have no clue about this game u cant really share it with them :)

Well thats my story about stuff now >.< And as u might noticed i like to write just thoughts :)

So how do you wanna change?

edit: nerf my poll options is abit weirdo

1: I Wish i never started playing online/mmorpg games.
2: I dont regret i started playing online games
3: I wish i could stop playing as much as i am atm.
4: I wish i could play more then i am atm.

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
Well I guess I'm sort of the opposite. I've been flamed and, in one case, booted out of a guild for going off to the pub, being afk to talk to friends so party gets wiped etc. Frankly I'd put RL before a game every time. OK so I'm 34 and perhaps old enough to know better than the younger folks here having watched friends battle against drug addiction, alcohol problems (and in one case sex addiction). You only get one shot at being young and having played online games in one form or another for ten years or so I'd have to say in all honesty I'm not in touch with any of the people IRL that I've met through any games.

Not being harsh here, but at the end of the day I see all the chat channels as part of the game (a nice part!) but ultimately they're part of a game you play and if I want to go do something else instead of being the healer in a guild RvR group I'm going to go do that instead! All very well having having firends in game but they're never ever going to replace the important people in your life and never going to be there when you really need someone else there....

Man I sound like an old fart LOL

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
I play a little more than I'd like too, but nothing serious. I get all my RL stuff sorted without problems. Sometimes I start a little late on them though. :)

Biggest issue I have right now is that I waste a lot of my free time on it though. I just stand around doing nothing, yet being logged in, watching the chat channels for something interesting. Like, right now I'm logged onto my minstrel, standing in a Haven, waiting for something interesting to come by.. I'm a tad bored with the game itself and solo playing has lost it's interest to me. The game is all about the other players, I mean, it's a MMO for a reason, right? Main reason I still play is my guild, my friends and my house that I like. The game itself, well, it has a been-there-done-that feel to it.

Lestat

Fledgling Freddie
I dont regret it at all, 8hours work with friends then a hour on the bar..
That gives me 3-4hours daoc then sleep on a workday. In the weekends a little disco and such then daoc again, best way to live wenn your not a billionaire.. ;<

Thornar

Fledgling Freddie
I just quit WoW, I'm never gonna start another MMORPG ever. The problem
with myself is that I tend to either play way too much or not at all. I can't
seem to find a middle road.

With new real life stuff coming up I need to sort stuff out.

Like Blejs said, you can't sit on your arse for the rest of your life.

Kraben

Can't get enough of FH
My story sounds alot like yours, Blejs. Played starcraft way to much in gymanisium, dropped out etc.. I have however ( finally.. ) tuned down my online hours some and recently started a course as a preperation for my further education. During all my years since start of daoc I have had the same fulltime job though, but I am not gonna say my online time havent influeted on my irl - cause it has.. sadly.

Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel tho :cheers:

good post.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I started playing 6 years ago and I can honestly say it has done massive damage to my personal and social life, so much so that it has been a major factor in the break up of a long term relationship. I now try to limit my play time to no more than 3 hours a day but to be honest I have recently started to become seriously bored of gaming in general and I am hoping that the addiction is finally starting to wear off.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
i quit DAOC - as it was affecting my home life too much - i played FARFAR too much - i had 3 accounts and was an uber farming mad player - if i wasnt in RVR - then i would be in PVE getting more farmage to get more money - for no real purpose!!

the final straw for me was having a drunken argument with ginggi/zags over AS chat over the fact that their group wasnt helping me fight a vamp! - god i was so mad that night i though 'FFS why am i getting angry at a game!!!' -and decieded to quit.

Ive stopped playing DAOC - got rid of all chars so i wasnt tempted back (hmmm??) - and decided i would engage in real Life again, and start actually talking to my wife and kids (who are far more precious than 100plat!!!).

I'm now playing lots of different games - havnt found owt that i really like playing much (b.o.r.e.d with a capital B) - not many games compare to DAOC in terms of the community or friends you make online.

One thing i am eagerly awaiting is the release of Age of Empires 3 - this should hopefully reduce my addiction. I would like to return with just one RVR character and not bother with PVE stuff (only doing what is necessary!) - so u never know!!!

Kraben

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
I started playing 6 years ago and I can honestly say it has done massive damage to my personal and social life, so much so that it has been a major factor in the break up of a long term relationship. I now try to limit my play time to no more than 3 hours a day but to be honest I have recently started to become seriously bored of gaming in general and I am hoping that the addiction is finally starting to wear off.

coughs.. ahem. <whistles>

Mey

Part of the furniture
"I started playing 6 years ago and I can honestly say it has done massive damage to my personal and social life, so much so that it has been a major factor in the break up of a long term relationship. I now try to limit my play time to no more than 3 hours a day but to be honest I have recently started to become seriously bored of gaming in general and I am hoping that the addiction is finally starting to wear off."

Wow, that's pretty much my story too.

I spent way too much time playing games etc. And tbh im getting bored of the internet all together. Not only that but when I was in my prime of playing I would have nothing to talk about, because i never did anything other than play games, and there is only so much people can take before they get bored of you.

Now, Its great, Real Life Game betters Online Game anyday!

Zede

Part of the furniture
Dont worry about mmorpg's - here,take the uk for example with tv. 18 million or so sheeple sit there night after night and watch soap operas, all night. least we get to interact with people !

i feel enlightened not being one of the masses !

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't regret starting at all.

I've been playing MMO's and MUD's (Multi-User Dungeon, all-text online games that were around way before MMO's with their fancy graphics or whatever you kids call it nowadays ;) ) for about 15 years now. Always loved it, was a gaming fanatic before that too, but it's always better to play with, or against, someone else then do the single-player thing. I don't really have a problem laying it off for a while though if real life demands it.

I must admit however that i have some withdrawal symptoms now, my computer is broken and away for repair atm, so i can't play. :( :( :(

Somerimes people say "i can't understand how you can play games as much as you do, your'e too old (27) for that crap." And my obvious reply is "I don't watch TV."

Dorimor1

Banned
If you ask some of my friends, they'd definatly say I play too much DAoC. I miss out on a lot of things but when theres something I need to do I will set my DAoC time aside to do it. I wouldn't say its damaged my social life as such but it has definatly changed me in a number of ways, only naming a few.

I look at things from a different perspective now, I see other peoples PoV more and have learnt to understand others. I seem to be able to enjoy evenings out less because my mind is on DAoC, its sad because I don't want it to be like this.

I'll quit DAoC one day...

Himse

FH is my second home
i have played less and less over the last months due to more and more school / rl commitments.. tis nice because i don't get bored of the game etc, i used to sit here aimlessly for hours just pveing or something.. its much better to actually do something than just sit on your arse :D

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
This tread reminds me of countless of "I quit posts" and if you read them, almost everybody say that they have to quit 'cuz DAOC is interfering with their RL.

I feelt the same and finaly quit the game but i can't drop the whole read forum thingy but atleast i dont play so much that i fall asleep during lectures :D

For all of you that play, play the game but remember that RL >>>> pixels on a screen.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
I don't regret starting with mmorpg at all. DAoC was my first mmorpg. Have been playing loads of other games before I started DAoC.., Counter-Strike - Which I hate to admit I have played many years ago, StarCraft, Diablo II, WarCraft III, BF1942 etc...

Overall I find the community in DAoC much more mature and better than what I have experienced with CS and WoW for example and I like being part of it. Also mmorpgs tend to be alot more social than many other games, I have met many new people and friends in DAoC and keep bumping into new people all the time.

Sure I use alot of my time on DAoC but I am doing perfectly fine in RL, if DAoC would have such a bad influence on RL I would most likely quit it. Anyhow I got lots of time to spend and spending it in DAoC works for me :)
I think we all who keep playing after a few years are suffering from a healthy addiction, just need to control it!

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
no i never played it that much anyway

omgtehroxmode:
how it has changed me? mmorpgs make me slow and are extremely bad for my skillz, i used to be a uber fps player (well still am actually) but in these mmorpgs all you have to do is point and click... or even worse... /stick and ram 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 all the time 8((

no bunnyhopping while rocketjumping on walls through the entire room with others flashing by your screen and killing them midair within 0.1 second reactions, i regret that there are no mmorpgfps games!!

btw, one post in this thread reminded me of that one guy who got his wedding cancelled because he played to much counterstrike :rolleyes:

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
Aye same here on the 6 year thing,started off with Age of Empires I know not mmorpg but was the the start of a on-line decline in life for me lol.
Later on in life went over to irl m8's house with then GF and watched irl m8 play some silly army game (red alert?) with stinkysox on some voice thingie.
Went home and said what a pair of geeks lol.
6 weeks later was playing DoaC and ahem hooked :)
Present time sat with mic,TS,some problems on the way and irl m8 fooked of to spain to open a bar so guess I'm the geek after all lol :)

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Wish I never started all this bullshit really, it started with a good friend of mine telling me he had found a great game and it was an open beta so we could try out for free...And that open beta was DAOC's US open beta...Damn I loved it from the start, playing the beta till early in the morning...The idea of a big world that you can explore on your own and you being a part of that world, needing to kill things to grow up and get stronger and stronger...Was just awesome. But really, after 3+ years now I've had enough of it. I've quit like 6 times right now, the longest period I haven't played was about 4-5 months. I didnt even read Freddy's House for 2-3 months, deleted DAoC and almost all my DAoC bookmark sites.

But after I came back from holiday I had 2 weeks till my school started and I was just bored as most of my friends were still on holiday and I wanted something to do. So I read about the classic servers and started on the US. Played it for about 3 weeks with great enthousiasm (sp? :p), the idea of people running without buffbots (altho I had 1 myself on EU servers) and mainly no ToA made me enjoy the game again...But after 3 weeks I was thinking by myself "wtf am I doing??". I wasn't going to the school for a few days cause I was up till 5AM playing DAoC and I didnt want to stand up that early to go to school. I needed to look for a new job but I simply didnt as I was playing DAoC so no time for work (*kuch*)

So now I've decided to make an end to this nonsense, I'll never play DAoC again (and it went ok for the last 4 days altho I'm still up at 5.30AM in the morning but it has to do with a soccer game, nothing to do with DAoC :p)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Well MMORPG's very nearly fucked up my life, started playing EQ in beta, was in a pretty hardcore guild, one of the top guilds serverwide, that required alot of time.
Skipped almost 2years of school to play, my mam started work at 6am and finished at 4pm so this was easy to do, passed my GCSE's without doing any work at all which was kinda lucky, then quit and moved to daoc where i stopped playing 15hours a day like EQ, and got alot more focused to try sort my future :p

Played daoc for 2years or so casually, then wow, and back to daoc now 8) Playing alot atm due to being unemployed, looking for work tho :p
Hasnt changed me alot i think started drinking in pubs and clubs when i was late 15yrs old early 16, done everything a teenager should have done, so i dont feel as though i wasted my school years or anything.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Morchaoron said:
no bunnyhopping while rocketjumping on walls through the entire room with others flashing by your screen and killing them midair within 0.1 second reactions, i regret that there are no mmorpgfps games!!

Planetside?

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Cozak said:
Playing alot atm due to being unemployed, looking for work tho :p Hasnt changed me alot ....

.....stop DAOC and concentrate on getting work

Cozak

Part of the furniture
rampant said:
.....stop DAOC and concentrate on getting work

Only so much I can do to get work and I have done it, at the waiting stages atm.

mirieth!

Banned
don't regret starting at all. i started, quit for a while in which time i had a really good long-term relationship which sadly broke up, then came back to daoc. while i've been playing i've passed my gcses, a-levels, held down two steady jobs and released a few records with my band, been on tour and so forth. all this and i still manage to play around 6+ hours a day pretty much every day. i know that, if i looked at it in terms of daoc as a bad thing to spend my time on then i would say that i play far too much, but i still enjoy the game and it doesn't effect any other aspect of my life really, so i'm happy.

Cadagdur

Fledgling Freddie
If it wasn't for playing online games i wouldn't have met my girlfriend, nuff said, i don't regret playing.
And she's uber too, not a big fat smelly person like all of teh people would have you think online girls look like :eek:
Sooo rawk on CS hehe. :cheers:

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Was about 24-25 or so when I started with mmorpgs/online gaming, so no. I dont regret it, but I mean kids who start playing when they are 12ish or so and never set foot outside the house untill they are past there 20ish sure are missing parts of life imo.

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
My wife knew I was a gamer before we got married, so she's fair about it.

Also she watches a LOT of tv (soaps) which I hate. So I play and she watches tv and we both stay happy.

I think a lot of people break up because they spend too much time together anyway heehee. No, although I have seen that happen in truth. This is my equivalent of going off to the potting shed.

I am getting fed up with daoc now though, it's not fresh any more and if I start up a new toon there's no one to level with any more. Pity the competition is so poor, though I do enjoy WoW - it's not so 'serious' as daoc, so I can dip in and out of it when I want a change of scene.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
nope, I dont regret starting DAoC at all.

Was playing Q3alliance when DAoC's beta came out and I found it truly amasing, I always loved games like Baldurs Gate and fantasytheme in a MMORPG was the shit for me at least. I've played looooots and looooots of hours, I'm probably over a year in playtime by now but I see it as a hobby tbh. Some visit the pub alot, some play some sports or exercise alot, there are lots of things in life you can spend alot of time on. Nowadays I dont spend anywhere as much time as I used to though :)

I have never really fucked anything up due to DAoC though, when it has become too much I've taken breaks and come back later. Letting a hobby take over life too much so that it become a problem is lack of character and discipline nomatter what hobby it is, stop before it become a problem and evaluate if it can be done in a different way without causing problems and its fine.

Narkokrig

Fledgling Freddie
I dont regret playing MMO's but unfortunatly i spend a bit to much time on it. But it doesnt really bother me, i dont have any other hobbies and i hate watching tellie.

I got a lovely girlfriend on 5th year now and she understands me and why i play MMO's.. i havent really got that many friends and never did, so im keeping in touch with them daily, and seeing them in the weekends sometimes..

But yes, i gotta take it to a more normal level soon, education is over soon, got a nice appartment with my girlfriend, so i propably wont have as much time in the future.

Only thing i can say has been "nerfed" irl is my relationship with my parents. But they still lub me :)

On the positive side: Improved my english alot, learned a little more about other cultures, some good friends.

Now the scarry part.. i have been playing computer for about 12 years i think... try to imagin that you used those 12 years doing your homework instead of playing, studying, working.. you know, the boring RL stuff... Europe would have 30.000 more banker's, excecutive's(?) etc :D

Thank you Mythic for not making us all boring rich ppl! :worthy: :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom