Do you believe that the dead "watch over us" ?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If a loved one dies, do you believe they watch over you ?

Or do they just look in from time to time ? Or when we think about them ?

Or is it all rubbish ? When you're dead you're dead, and all this nonsense about consciousness living on after death is just a way for us to make death more easier to cope with.

And if they are watching over us do they see everything we do ? Everything !?

Do they try to communicate with us ?

Are they drawn to us unwillingly ? Trapped in limbo that only us forgetting them will release them ?

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
hell yeah...

One time I will never forget and kinda shitted me up tbh...

I was in a hurry and I was stuck behing funeral convoy of cars and when we were on the dual carriage way I decided to go into the fast lane and over take them all.

When I overtook the Hurse I had a shiver down my spine and then for a good 5 seconds I couldn't put my foot on the brakes and I was coming up to a round about and needed to slow down which I couldn't and after the long 5 seconds of panic I could press on the brake.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You do know that overtaking a funeral courtage brings 4 years of bad luck don't you ?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If they're out there, i'm betting there's some peeping tom-foolery going on.

I think the dead are there, doing whatever they are doing, but mostly they don't bother with us 'cause frankly, the afterlife is a BIT more exiting after N years of this life :D

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
If they watch over us, what do the ones who were watching over them do?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol i don't know but with some of the embarrassing stuff i get up to i sure hope not...or if they do they have the good grace to look away Oo

Morphius

Fledgling Freddie
Yes without a doubt I believe that someone looks over you. Today at the remembrance survive when I was marching in the pissing cold rain and wind, I just thought to myself this is nothing to what they're going through and I really started shivvering and getting cold! That's probably an emotional response but this is more relevant.

Last Week, on Thursday night I was in a really serious car crash, I span off on a corner because i didn't notice the adverse camber and I was doing around 60 mph (yes I know too fast for the conditions). I then went the through a breezeblock wall 2 blocks deep, which was then rendered on both sides, so a seriously hefty thing, this was also raised up above a curb. So i smashed straight into this titan and then rotated some more. I managed to walk out of this crash without a single scratch, not a thing, not even whiplash. When the paramedics arrived i was told to lie down straight away and that ridiculous ammounts of adrenaline must be keeping me going because I'm incredibly lucky to be alive. When they examined me, no injuries at all. They said if there was ever to be a miracle affecting you, this was it, someone was definately looking out for me up there.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I was in a hurry and I was stuck behing funeral convoy of cars and when we were on the dual carriage way I decided to go into the fast lane and over take them all.

You overtook on the overtaking lane?

My god.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I´d like to think they do. And sometimes it feels as if they are.

But then, ratio hits in and I have to realise that it´s just a disgused wishful thinking that death isnt´t the ultimate end.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I'd like to think so, but it depends on how you personally percieve situations that happen to you, as to whether you feel someone is looking down on you

I would love to think my mum is looking down and keeping a watchfull eye on me, although maybe not too watchfull...........

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I would love to think my mum is looking down and keeping a watchfull eye on me, although maybe not too watchfull...........

That'll hampen your "private time".

...great...now it's in there...lurking....waiting to pop in your head when you try to "focus".

*thinks*

All gone! :D

But i seriously think you ruined some re-production attempts with that Eddy ol boy.

Afran

Part of the furniture
There's no proof either way obviously but yeah I do feel that they do, especially my mum, ever since she passed away (just under a year ago) I've always felt as if she's still around and that she is is somehow close to me and that has an effect on me when it comes to me making decisions or going through certain emotions.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I think "the memory of" do, as "in spirit"
and i like to see it that way

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And then to compare this thread to those who believe there's no afterlife/heaven/hell/etc :D

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
I think those who watch over you are those who haven't completely left this life in spirit. Perhaps they have a reason to stay behind for a while, making sure their children are alright, or a spouse that they died from.

I have never felt any such presence, and I am lucky to have both my parents alive still, but i do believe it happens. :)

Mey

Part of the furniture
It's a nice sentiment but I wouldn't throw much weight to it.

I had a theory awhile ago when i used to be a bereavement councilor but haven't really thought about it for ages. It was roughly along the lines of that when someone dies they aren't looking over you persay, it is you looking over yourself as them, you kind of just remeber the type of person the were and what they'd do and subconciously you alter your actions to be in line with this sort of percieved way of thinking. (kind of like, what would x person do..).

That is if you are that way inclined, personally I don't believe there is anything after death, and anyone who has died that could been considered with looking over me I didn't know that well anyway.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Interesting perspective, Mey. You looking over yourself. Like it.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Yeh I think they do, I'm not sure though. I don't think its like the good old white sheets and 'woo' noises, something weirder.

Maybe it's just because I'm a little bit nervous about there actually being nothing after life, so I want to believe in ghosts and stuff.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
I can't cope with the idea that there's no kind of afterlife, but I like to think that the dead have better things to do than watch the living.

sayward

Resident Freddy
I think they're around but not necessarily 'watching'. My problem is what about the ones I really disliked, I just hope they're gone for good.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Theres a real nice Arabic saying about how the dead live on forever in the hearts and minds of the living (I think it could be from the muslim religion - not 100% sure).

I can't for the life of me remeber the exact wording but my Team Leader told us when we started training and it kind of stuck with me since.

The human mind is an amazing thing and something that I doubt we will fully understand in our life time, if ever. I just find it too hard to believe in a concept of any afterlife so the logical step for me was the subconcious memory of a person affecting our behaviour, drawing you away from situations that they would have disapproved of or so on.

Add to the fact that if someone believes that X person is looking over them they are more likely to remeber what X person would of done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom