Do You always tell the exact truth of your past when you meet someone new

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
When you meet someone new, be it a possible gf or just sum1 u think culd be cool, how truthful are you of your past. The reason I ask this is im not sure how many people may judge you on your past as opposed to how you are now, for me this is of specific note because quite frankly i was alot diffrent 3 or 4 years ago as opposed to now.

I really dunno if i could tell sum1 that when i was 17 i spent 12hours a day on daoc during the summer and put on 2-3 stone over a year. Its such an embaressment and mistake in my life that i really wanna put it behind me. So when sum1 asks me what i i did at the time, i just say i played some comps and was more shy. And really try to breeze over the details, but it hurts me so much that I do this.

Any1 have similar experiences or able to share an opinion.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
[NO]Subedai said:
When you meet someone new, be it a possible gf or just sum1 u think culd be cool, how truthful are you of your past. The reason I ask this is im not sure how many people may judge you on your past as opposed to how you are now, for me this is of specific note because quite frankly i was alot diffrent 3 or 4 years ago as opposed to now.

I really dunno if i could tell sum1 that when i was 17 i spent 12hours a day on daoc during the summer and put on 2-3 stone over a year. Its such an embaressment and mistake in my life that i really wanna put it behind me. So when sum1 asks me what i i did at the time, i just say i played some comps and was more shy. And really try to breeze over the details, but it hurts me so much that I do this.

Any1 have similar experiences or able to share an opinion.

I'm truthful if they ask the questions. But i never start rambling about awkward personal experiences.
Since that makes people uncomfortable.
But yes, i usually tell the truth. Since my past, allow people to get insight into why i act the way i do. My past made me what i am today. However much i may hate what happened.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
you shouldn't be embarrassed about that kinda stuff... its part of you:)

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
well, when they ask i tell the truth, i dont lie.. but alot of shit has happened to me, so i dont just say it out loud withouth them asking me:p

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
turn it into something positive: "yeah, i used to play this game 12 hours a day, thats how dedicated i am to that which i love!"

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
Give me her mail adress and ill mail her a link for this post :D HRAR RRARRR

.. well on a serious side.. if they ask, tell them the truth.

Im drunk now so.... jea this reply might be fucked up.. cba to read what i wrote:;DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Ezteq

Queen of OT
tbh people dont need to know everything about you, i made the mistake of being too open and honest with folk before i really knew them and it alwasy turned round and bit me in the arse.

what i know now is that you dont have to lie or spill your entire life history if someone is probing you and making you feel uncomfortable you can either glaze over the topic "yeah so i played some pc games and stuff for most of that year, how about you how'd you spend the time?" or just ask why they'd like to know, either way never tell people stuff you dont want them to know, if you dont want to tell someone something your obviously not comfortable with them, and tbh dont go being all "Open and truthful" with everyone because you feel you should, wait till you know them better and tbh a true friend wont even care abut your past theyll care about who you are now.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
if someone doesnt want to know you because you used to play an mmo a lot as a teenager then they probably arent worth knowing anyway. when i was 17 i spent most of my time spaced out on drugs, was cool at the time but not something i am particularly proud of but it is part of what makes me, me. i imagine you took some good things with you from playing a competative mmo, social skills, team work getting to know people from other countries etc, its nothing to be ashamed of.

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
I think ezteq hit her head on the nail. You don't have to tell everybody everything in the start. After you get to know people you can tell them snipets of what you have done etc. if they ask.

I feel that all people judge other people by what they say I think it's human nature. I don't tell everybody everything at once, where is the fun in that?

My current girlfriend know almost everything I have done in the past the good and the hmm not so good :D The problem with telling people every bad thing you did is that they want to stop you from redoing those mistakes... So she doesnt belive me when I say i dont smoke pot when me and my friends BBQ and listen to bob marley during the summers :(

/ends rambling... :D

Gamah

Banned
I never really tell anyone about my PC gaming. A lot of people don't know I dropped out of school to play Daoc..stupidist fucking thing I have ever done and something I am ashamed of. I have spent the last 2 years learning different computing subjects because I realise that computer gaming is a hobby not a life.

I love gaming, but i'll tell you what I love more, having notes in my pocket, having mates to chill out with, having a women that makes my life hell sometimes but I love her ;).

I generally hide my gaming past from people, but it really doesn't come up. However I think over time when you are confident you know the person well enough you should reveal all, the person you love should be the closest person to you on earth.

That said, someone new..na no need to tell her about your gaming past. The past is just that; in the past. You should be looking to the present and the future with a new lady, because if you keep looking in the past you will miss enjoying the present.

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
Well, you shouldn't lie. But don't go into the details?

Alot of young ppl play computer games at that age. Just say you played games on your pc (without/with friends.) Pretty normal in the end tbh. I hardly see the reason to lie? Ok maybe it is embarassing that you played that much but who cares in the end? The past is the past. The future is the way to go :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
I will tell the truth, for as far as I can that is. Ones memories of the past aren't always as accurate as you'd think and are often a bit rosier than the real events, but to my best abilities I will always tell the truth.
I will however be selective on what to tell. There's no need to know exactly everything on the first date :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
if they ask i answer, and if they dont ask i aint telling :)

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
A lot of people don't know I dropped out of school to play Daoc

What was you thinking? That takes alot of nerve tbh sort of like giving up your future for a game. Ah well we all make mistakes.

Im useally pretty honest to people in my life, I never tell people about my past years of sitting playing a game but I was always out aswell as playing daoc so was never a huge huge part of my life, some nights I would turn down going down going out with my mates to play daoc which I aint proud of but it happens, real life > daoc:)

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
Elkie said:
What was you thinking? That takes alot of nerve tbh sort of like giving up your future for a game. Ah well we all make mistakes.

Im useally pretty honest to people in my life, I never tell people about my past years of sitting playing a game but I was always out aswell as playing daoc so was never a huge huge part of my life, some nights I would turn down going down going out with my mates to play daoc which I aint proud of but it happens, real life > daoc:)

tbh, Many of my old guild who were in school had decreasing or bad grades because of playing to much daoc..

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
not only is DAoC simply a waste of time, its also very detrimental to your health if you get hooked.
thankfully i stopped playing when someone took all my money instead of trading back. i was pissed at the time but something like that helps you realise just what a pile of crap the game is. all your time and money is gone in instant

i think i put on a lot of weight. now i lost it all people think i have AIDs :(

pip

Banned
To the thread starter you nuts? give em a inch they take a mile:twak: less said the better imo:)

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
not only is DAoC simply a waste of time, its also very detrimental to your health if you get hooked.
thankfully i stopped playing when someone took all my money instead of trading back. i was pissed at the time but something like that helps you realise just what a pile of crap the game is. all your time and money is gone in instant

i think i put on a lot of weight. now i lost it all people think i have AIDs :(

Thanks for the money tho :p

naic

Loyal Freddie
Raven said:
if someone doesnt want to know you because you used to play an mmo a lot as a teenager then they probably arent worth knowing anyway. when i was 17 i spent most of my time spaced out on drugs, was cool at the time but not something i am particularly proud of but it is part of what makes me, me.
My exact life story. Then DAoC came. One addiction to another. Anyway, as everyone else have already said, no need to tell everyone about yourself. I know I don't. Though my GF already know what I was like so... :p

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
Urgluf said:
tbh, Many of my old guild who were in school had decreasing or bad grades because of playing to much daoc..

Ye i guess it can be true of me, at 16 i got good grades at GCSE'S, mainly A's more or less, few A* few B. Then did DAOC, social life and how well i did at school rapidly decreased till i was about 18 were i ended up with crap Alevels and kinda missed alot of social life of the time. However i think it may have had a slingshot effect, If i got Good alevels and kept my friend network as it was i prolly wouldnt have gone travelling and i probably wouldnt be living in a diffrenty country nad leading the life i am now. Ive regained those friends now and am alot 'cooler' u culd say, but altohugh negative at the time it has created a huge positive rebound effect. I definately feel like im trying to catch up for lost time.

I just feel cuz im so diffrent now that its so embaressing to tell specifics about my past life.

- English -

Resident Freddy
[NO]Subedai said:
Ye i guess it can be true of me, at 16 i got good grades at GCSE'S, mainly A's more or less, few A* few B. Then did DAOC, social life and how well i did at school rapidly decreased till i was about 18 were i ended up with crap Alevels and kinda missed alot of social life of the time. However i think it may have had a slingshot effect, If i got Good alevels and kept my friend network as it was i prolly wouldnt have gone travelling and i probably wouldnt be living in a diffrenty country nad leading the life i am now. Ive regained those friends now and am alot 'cooler' u culd say, but altohugh negative at the time it has created a huge positive rebound effect. I definately feel like im trying to catch up for lost time.

I just feel cuz im so diffrent now that its so embaressing to tell specifics about my past life.

You 'ought to thank me for constantly telling you that you have destroyed your life and luckily for you I gave you advice on how to get back on track.

Luckily, I had more man power and had sense not to let daoc spoil my education and social life as I always said rl>daoc, One could say I used you as an Example (like someone would to show alowlife irl to kids at school).

However this wasnt the case for you and until you met me. You then idolised me and started to pick up the scraps of your own life and your education with learning and teaching English. Only time will tell if its too late.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
- English - said:
You 'ought to thank me for constantly telling you that you have destroyed your life and luckily for you I gave you advice on how to get back on track.

Luckily, I had more man power and had sense not to let daoc spoil my education and social life as I always said rl>daoc, One could say I used you as an Example (like someone would to show alowlife irl to kids at school).

However this wasnt the case for you and until you met me. You then idolised me and started to pick up the scraps of your own life and your education with learning and teaching English. Only time will tell if its too late.

wot a loada bollox, im better than u in almost everyway :drink:

- English -

Resident Freddy
[NO]Subedai said:
wot a loada bollox, im better than u in almost everyway :drink:

you just contadicted(sp) yourself as you failed to beat me at drinking and you put a drinking smiley! obviously you feel threatened and the guilt of your past makes you lie yet again :p

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
i never tell girls i play computer games :p If they ask what im doing i always just say im just chatting on msn or surfing.. but then again i would lie pretty much about anything if it could get me laid :(

snushanen

Fledgling Freddie
I dont have anything in my past that I am ashamed off. I am not ashamed of playing way to much computer the last years (have quited now, cant play more then 1 hour a day in the navy and we dont have internett on the base and warships :p), and I am never asked by new people "do you play computer games more then 6 hours a day?". If people ask me what i like to do I gladly tell them i kill some hours at the computer.

But if I had stuff in my past that I was ashamed off, I wouldt tell people. At least not at the moment i met them, because people judge you by past mistakes etc. Many people judge you and cant see that you have changed.

Ofcourse in a relationship with a GF / wife ect honesty is the ground pillar and i support fully open relationships. When it comes to new friends and people you just "know" i operate by the "need to know" principe. No point in telling people more then they need to know about your past. But as stated earlier I have nothing i wish to hide so I am atm very open about my past.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i cant believe the amount of you guys who are ashamed about playing bloody games fgs thats nothing!!!

jeesus what on earth is there to be ashamed about?? bloody hell when i was a teenager well lets just say if i'd spent most of my time playing pc games and chatting to peope from other countries etc i wouldnt have been out having meaningless sex with a different guy every night and drinking so much i couldnt afford to pay my rent so got kicked out and had to live on the street and on peoples floors and being in perma danger for the most part of my latter teenage years... yes lets just say if i'd been playing a pc game none of that would have happened its not something i go yelling about and printing on bill boards but imo that behaviour (although i did have a lot of fun there was also danger and it was lonely and painful) is more to be ashamed about than being a bit of a reclusive nerd (and i use the term affectionately) because if i'd had people to talk to on msn or in a game then i wouldnt have had to go and act like that.

your past is your past its what you did to make you who you are today, tell people dont tell people at the end of the day its not their business tbh and i find if you "share" then it can be used against you at a later time but if its what you want to do then do it, if not then dont its your past you do what you want with it mates and stop obsessing over it because that shit will drive you nuts tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom