Do we need PB

S

Sar

I personally would rather play with it than without it.

But then again I'm retired, so ignore me :)

W

WiZZarD

well, somehow i would rather play without it but hey, who am i?? maybe just leave it on for the first couple of matches, then suddenly turn it off again without a warnin??

S

skwasjer

tbh I'd like to have pb on. I still like to give PB to benifit of the doubt and am in hope that they will get their detection AND kick in working order soon, despite of their own lack of proving it that it does indeed detect.

F

fmczebedee

In it's present form we obviously don't need it. If improvements are made then it should be kept on.

Seems to be all if's & when's with PB tho :s

S

slardybardfast

PLEASE DUMP PUNKBUSTER

Let me tell you how bad PB is. I have been getting kicked the last 2 day with a message that tells me "you have been kicked for 2 minutes by punkbuster". I am in the middle of a game and I get thrown out!

OK, today I decide to figure out what is going on. I find Barryworld info on PB and it tells me that I am using an old version. OK. I study the commands and use /pb_sv_update. The response? The PB sevice is shutdown. What a waste of time.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. I have have endless problems with PB with NO apparent benefits. I think PB should be terminated. It is a wasteful, frustrating stupid idea.

I still play Q3 on pointrelease 130 which has no cheat prevention in it and I have not seen a cheater in months. Why do I have to put up with almost daily frustration to cure an occasional problem

PLEASE DUMP PUNKBUSTER

K

[-KW-]Beasty

How about just turning PB on at random and for random games... so that everyone needs to keep it updated but, they just dont know when it will be on.

L

LilliZ

Originally posted by [-KW-]Beasty
How about just turning PB on at random and for random games... so that everyone needs to keep it updated but, they just dont know when it will be on.

Since it can be seen thru ASE or whatever Qstat app you use it kind of defeats its purpose having it on randomly.

People usually play on diffrent servers and most of those have it on which in turn means their pinkbastard will probably be updated anyway.

Either you have it on or you don't.

Preferable keep it on, for good or worse :rolleyes:

Z

zandman

Can we check it's use?

The main question imo is: does punkbuster work?

If we find out that it has no use, don't use it, even it it doesn't bother most of the people.

The warezed keycheck seems to work and for that alone I think it should stay on, people who play this game alot should give the creators some credit for it.

Sand

L

LilliZ

Re: Can we check it's use?

Originally posted by zandman
The main question imo is: does punkbuster work?

If we find out that it has no use, don't use it, even it it doesn't bother most of the people.

The warezed keycheck seems to work and for that alone I think it should stay on, people who play this game alot should give the creators some credit for it.

Sand

Pb does detect cheats no doubt about it, how effective and to what extent it does is another story. game server operators can use GUID to ban players caught cheating or using cheats, PB can also be used to limit cvars and users using same CD Key or no CD key at all from entering servers.

In order to use PB effectiveley server operators/administrators need to configure and maintain it.

But IMHO PB is better than nothing, lags, yes semi effective yes but still better than nothing.

/LillIZ

Users who are viewing this thread