Do we need a German style snow clearing law?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Raven said:
We pay council tax, amongst other things that pays for gritters to clear our roads.
Not that this is how it works. They only clear the roads they deem important enough.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I do agree with him on some things - I just despair a little at the lack of 'community spirit' in this country.
I'm going to disagree with that; just today me and a neighbour helped clear each others paths and drive, I helped some BMW twat get his car unstuck and some other guy helped me get my van unstuck (and kudos to him, he pushed it to help me out!).

sayward

Resident Freddy
Hi Mr.V W man do u sell snow tyres? Ooooo Yes.
Can you store my other tyres? Oooooo No.
Then what bloody good is that?
Ps there's no one in this building capable of clearing snow and no neighbours that I know.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I suggest every british person lives one winter in finland/sweden/norway/etc and they'll never complain about their "snow" again ;)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Is clearing the pavement outside your home really going to make that much difference? It's not as if clearing the pavement is going to help things like this skidding bus on the road.

Our country is run on the expectation that it won't snow, so of course things are going to slip when it arrives. Public transport is going to have problems with it, airports which run at full capacity are going to face cancellations.

Unless we plan for it, we'll always be useless when it comes to snow.

rynnor

Rockhound
GReaper said:
Is clearing the pavement outside your home really going to make that much difference?

It would make a big difference to the deaths from slips/trips (7 so far in the current snow) and save the NHS millions from fractures (mostly elderly folk).

Plus old people would not be effectively prisoners in their own homes, kids could walk to school safely and the postie could get around more easily.

Additionally it would be sensible to get people to clear ungritted roads outside their houses for a bigger win.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Wouldn't work as a law, it would cost far too much to implement and enforce, more than the Government or local authorities would make in fines. Also, I read something the other day that said gritting the roads causes ice in a lot of situations. Basically it said that they grit the roads, it melts the snow, which dissolves and dissipates the salt, the the water then freezes over and chaos ensues.

To be honest, gritting is also a massively inefficient way to go about things. Invest in some snow ploughs, use them to clear the main roads and then grit the side roads where everyone parks and plouging isn't really an option.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Also, maybe encouraging people to band together and clear the pavements by giving them some sort of incentive? Plus there's the unemployed and prisoners as someone else said. You should be made to do stuff like that if you're on Job Seekers just to show potential employers that you're willing to work if nothing else.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Fucking hell, you wouldn't think humans have managed to not wipe themselves out in the last hundred thousand years or so with all the hand wringing going on here.

People fall over, people hurt them selves. It is part of life. It teaches them to be more careful in future.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
You really need to get laid.
He may need to get laid.

But it doesn't change the fact that he is dead-fuckin-right on every point.

It common sense, and taking responsibility for your own life/safety/actions.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
sayward said:
Hi Mr.V W man do u sell snow tyres? Ooooo Yes.
Can you store my other tyres? Oooooo No.
Then what bloody good is that?
Ps there's no one in this building capable of clearing snow and no neighbours that I know.

BMW offer that service, sounds pretty useful.

I have of course, kept my summer tyres on the 330, and haven't got stuck anywhere, accruing several man points in the process.

I also slipped on the pavement on Sunday. I got up, took more care and got on with my life, without looking for anyone to sue.

So basically no, I don't think we should bring in this law for the 3 days a year it snows. Seems a daft idea.

I'd rather we brought in their laws on the motorways. No speed limits on some, tailgating cameras on others. Much better.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Would you rather have the danger of slipping and hurtng your arse, or this;

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRKqjlUHBE

I almost got smushed the other day by a 3 feet block of ice ;)

Anyway, on the topic, here's the bottom line in all seriousness;

Don't punish the people and the people need to group together and demand road clearing from the government.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom