Do I want too much?

O

old.job

Give me an MMORPG that looks as good as this, it's not much to ask.....please someone?

paradise_cove_1024.jpg

A

Ardrias_Mid

It would be great for cybering....
But I dont see what it would add to gameplay really.

J

Jonaldo

Graphics are just eye candy, would rather have a MMORPG that played good and looked bad than one that looks good and plays bad.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Graphics are just eye candy, would rather have a MMORPG that played good and looked bad than one that looks good and plays bad.

rather UO than AC2 then <grin>

C

Cush

All i think when seeing that pic... boy you need stlong computol!

And the c6 spirtis would be high i think so Ardrias would love it.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Jonaldo

O

old.Gombur Glodson

One screenshot doesnt proove anything.

O

old.Tohtori

That actually isn't far from what MMORPGs(with this rate) will look like in a few years. That looks actually unrealistic compared to what we will be getting.Yeah sounds like a dream but look at the graphic difference in Halflife and Halflife2. Jump. That picture isn't that far from DAoC:

Take out the "real" reflection that can be faked easily into water.

Take out the artistic sky that no player would look at.(which is a texture on a dome and doesn't take a ubercomp to run)

You get SI beaches.

So basicly that is done allready.

Gameplay over graphics is a valid point. But also remember, nethack isn't that fun anymore. As the old saying goes in gaming business:

"If it's there, you might not notice it, but if it's not there, you'll notice."

They go hand in hand in creating a great game.

O

old.job

Well thats a rendered shot with Bryce or summit, probably took an average pc hours for just one shot.

You would need multiple layered skies with all the reflections through individual clouds, plus wave breaking on the beach.

Dragon Empires is actually quite close, you can fake a lot of it.

Of course a Cray supercomputer could probably render all that at 60fps, but they still seem to be a little out of my price range.

To me an MMORPG, which DAOC claims to be, has to be much more than fighting/levelling, you need to create a very believable world.

OK I'm just dreaming of things that will come to pass.

O

old.Tohtori

As a rendering it's crap, as a game screenshot it would be "this day standard".

Just a pretty sky. And as said, it's a texture on a dome. You wouldn't need layers on it if you couldn't go through the clouds.

Forget hwo it's made in bryce and how it would be made ingame.

This is what i meant that it's nothing special and could be easily done.

It's a still image, how could i know that you wanted waves crashing to the shore :p

You wouldn't need a cray supcomp uberdeluxe for that, even a pentium 800 could run something that looks like that if it was "faked" correctly. And what the eye sees, is enough. Nobody cares if the clouds move through a realistic engine or not...

EDIT: Compared to this, that picture looks rather crappy...

Mar7_de_lake.jpg

O

old.job

OK then how bout this, probably do-able on the DAOC engine with texture upgrades, the foaming water on the beach might be a problem, and the draw distance is a bit much, but give us the options, if you have an uber PC let the game go flat out.

lazy.jpg

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by old.job
OK then how bout this, probably do-able on the DAOC engine with texture upgrades, the foaming water on the beach might be a problem, and the draw distance is a bit much, but give us the options, if you have an uber PC let the game go flat out.

lazy.jpg

Don't understand the black box but...

That sounds about right. The foaming water, noone...and noone has ever done it and it is said that the man who manages to create foaming(realistic) water crashing into the shores in a game will be a rich man :p

But as said, wait for the next generation. Dragonempires is showing what can be done, now people will do it better :p

E

Ekydus

That's one mighty screenshot though.

Is it ingame?

S

SilverHood

using the classic client, quite a while ago:

horizon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom