No idea Do I have a poltergeist?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I moved into a new house at the end of last year. We got a fence fitted with a gate at the side when one day my missus said "the screws on the latch have all 'fallen out' ". So I took a look at it and it made no sense, it looked like someone had unscrewed the screws from the latch with one of the screws snapped in half lying on the ground. We'd had some serious gale force winds, so figured it must be that. I got some good wood screws and repaired it, but it's happening again!!

IMG_0507s.jpg

Those black screws are the ones I fitted. I made sure they were tight and gave the latch a good "pull" to make sure that the screws didn't simply pull out. The gate is not used very often, maybe once a week to put the bin out? It's taken three weeks for that screw to "unscrew".

I'm starting to think someone' having a laugh and unscrewing it on purpose, or i've got a ghost. Any ideas?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
From the pic the latch fixture isnt flush to the gate because the lats arent straight. If the wind blows even a little the latch will wobble tugging at the latch guide, enough for a screw to worm free over time.

A small spacer made of wood under the guide on the lower lat, a couple of mm would stop most of the movement.

Also, paint the wood with a preserve to avoid further warping.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Also, the latch is too close to the end of the wood - the screws may eventually force the wood grain apart. You need to remove and refit slightly to the right and lower down. You'll also have to refit the exterior handle to accommodate the change in position.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Ignore the previous comments, it is definitely a poltergeist or a midget.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
If I was a Poltergeist with the power to move objects after my death that's exactly where I'd start, with the screws in someones back gate. It'll drive people mad I tell yer ..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Or maybe they do and they are gradually pulling them out in preparation to replace them with the correct screw?!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I know it needs work :p - it was just a surprise when three of four screws "unscrewed", one of which was snapped, only to be replaced and one of them has wormed out already.

Poltergeists. Or neds. Or ned poltergeists. I'll check my screws.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
One way to be sure; videocamera that sh*t ;)

Though i guess ignorance is bliss, wouldn't want to see anything really.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I also like the fact that they drew a red arrow pointing to said screw, as if to taunt you even more

"Ha ha, look what I've done...look...LOOK!!!"

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I also like the fact that they drew a red arrow pointing to said screw, as if to taunt you even more

"Ha ha, look what I've done...look...LOOK!!!"
...and then kept it because they are Scottish poltergeists after all.

The safest option is to move @Big G, move and never return that or sacrifice your woman to the jock rag n bone polterpikey.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Is your new house built on an ancient burial ground by any chance?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Did you buy the missus a cordless screwdriver for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom