Advice DNA testing for ancestry

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This subject came up at a family dinner where my mum was saying she'd be interested in doing a DNA test for ancestry, so I said I would look into it for her. From what I can gather from some internet research, the opinions on it seem to range from vague, to scientific hocus pocus to a load of bollocks. From my fleeting knowledge on DNA, all of us have extremely similar DNA given the amount of common ancestry that we all have so how that can be differentiated, I don't know.

For what it's worth, I traced my family tree - my maternal side splits into two, one main Irish influence and then the north east of Scotland. My paternal side is very much London going back 1 generation, then previous generations were all Oxfordshire. Given my colouring and looks, there's a suspicion that there may be Norse influence on my mother's side as you go way back.

I should note, no one is trying to prove relations to anyone famous in history, just to see if there is an "bias" I suppose.

Thoughts?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Well, I was tested for Mediterranean disease a while back. It is some DNA test to see whether at some point in life Norse blood has been mixed with people from that area. Tests came back negative and the doctor told me that I was a pure breed Dane with no Spanish, Italian, Greek or Jew blood in me.

I didn't know that you could test for that but apparently you can...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This subject came up at a family dinner where my mum was saying she'd be interested in doing a DNA test for ancestry, so I said I would look into it for her. From what I can gather from some internet research, the opinions on it seem to range from vague, to scientific hocus pocus to a load of bollocks. From my fleeting knowledge on DNA, all of us have extremely similar DNA given the amount of common ancestry that we all have so how that can be differentiated, I don't know.

For what it's worth, I traced my family tree - my maternal side splits into two, one main Irish influence and then the north east of Scotland. My paternal side is very much London going back 1 generation, then previous generations were all Oxfordshire. Given my colouring and looks, there's a suspicion that there may be Norse influence on my mother's side as you go way back.

I should note, no one is trying to prove relations to anyone famous in history, just to see if there is an "bias" I suppose.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure it's got value as aggregate data* but it's less useful at the individual level. There are more thorough tests, but they're not usually the ones you buy through the post. Best way to find out more would be to sign up to genealogical study.

*Those DNA migration studies are all based on large sample data looking at the movement of very specific genetic markers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom