diving in yorkshire

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
looking to start diving again and wondering if anyone has any experience of any diving clubs etc in yorkshire , near to leeds pref.
either a recommend or any to avoid

:confused:

:cheers:

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Unforrunately, I'm not sure if the buildings in Yorkshire are high enough for the desired effect.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I was going to do a gag about the fabulous dykes in Hebden Bridge.

But I didn't.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I was going to say something about Leeds United....

;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
looking to start diving again and wondering if anyone has any experience of any diving clubs etc in yorkshire , near to leeds pref.
either a recommend or any to avoid

:confused:

:cheers:

What kind of diving? Are you talking beardie-BSAC types or "let's all get a charter to Sharm" PADI people?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh, if you plan to mainly dive in Britain, I'd go for a BSAC club.

If you ever plan to go on holiday and dive in somewhere like Thailand or Australia, I'd go with PADI.

PADI is more user-friendly, designed for the tropical waters and what not.

BSAC take their diving alot more seriously, but they kind of have to, considering Britain's costal waters.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
was planning on PADI cos its more universal if memory serves ?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
was planning on PADI cos its more universal if memory serves ?

They're all pretty universal :p but if you ever do decide to do more training on holiday with PADI, and you learnt with BSAC, you have to do a conversion course (money and its annoying).

But dont worry, PADI are still very good, I dive with them, and if you're diving in the UK then they'll definitley teach you dry suit diving :p

To be honest, I'd reccomend PADI.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yes, and if you want to train with BSAC after doing your PADI open water course, then you have to do a conversion course as well.

So make sure you pick wisely :p

To be honest, divers are the most friendly people in the world. If you contact one of the clubs, they'll probably say to come down for one of their nights, normally they get together after a day diving. You can go down, meet with them and see if you click with the people.

Tilda

I'm padi qualified and haven't had a problem diving at BSAC sites/boats before now.
Go for whichever is fun/convenient both will be fine.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm padi qualified and haven't had a problem diving at BSAC sites/boats before now.
Go for whichever is fun/convenient both will be fine.

BSAC qualification takes a lot longer than PADI, and I find them a bit...pompous tbh. They are a lot more thorough though. PADI is a lot more about getting into open water as quickly as possible, whereas BSAC the only water you'll see for the first few months is the pool.

I haven't seen BSAC insist PADI divers take a conversion course; certainly not for fun dives anyway (I'm PADI Advanced and I've dived with BSAC and SSI with no problems) or vice-versa, guess it might be different if you want to join a club though.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
BSAC qualification takes a lot longer than PADI, and I find them a bit...pompous tbh. They are a lot more thorough though. PADI is a lot more about getting into open water as quickly as possible, whereas BSAC the only water you'll see for the first few months is the pool.

I haven't seen BSAC insist PADI divers take a conversion course; certainly not for fun dives anyway (I'm PADI Advanced and I've dived with BSAC and SSI with no problems) or vice-versa, guess it might be different if you want to join a club though.

I was talking about if you wanted to continue your training. But yes, BSAC are alot more thorough, but I don't feel like i missed out on anything with my PADI training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom