Distance Buying 7day Return.. thing.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Hi, I'm after buying this laptop: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/776538

I was going to buy it instore today, but as it turned out by the time they were ready for the sale none of the systems (they tried 5) would work. I think that perhaps they stop them from selling after 8pm when the store is supposed to close, so I didn't end up buying it.

Then I remembered that 7day return dosn't apply if you buy instore, only if you buy online. I want to install linux on the laptop, and its important that it all works, as its one of the reasons I want a new laptop, so I want the 7days to ensure all the drivers work fine.
If I order on pcworld.co.uk but select 'Pickup In Store' does that still count as buying distance, and hence 7day return, or is it still an instore purchase?

(Yes I know Pc World is shit :p)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
nope instore pickup downt cover the longdistance sales act or wot ever its called. i know as i got a scanner from pcw like that and in broke down on the 4th day endeed up rmaing it back to canon

as for linux not working, meh somat that works fine on a 486 should be ok on a current model lappy, if theres a prob im sure there is a uber kewl tux forum in the kingdom of penguins or somat

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Okay thankyou!

Is there any way I can fiddle it or, lie.. to be able to take it back if something is unsupported? I know there are forums that can help, and i'll be happy to do research on getting things working once I start getting errors... but if I find out something simply isn't supported or gonna work (like maybe the graphics card) is there some way I can send it back :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Who makes the laptop? Perhaps you could buy it direct from the manufacturer, with a guarantee of compatibility?

*ducks*

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Sony, but, i'm pretty sure nobody is going to guarantee it works on anything but windows. Frigging monopoly :p.

Will

/bin/su
Best to check on the forums of your chosen distro, and see what laptops they have got running.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'd suggest that you post directly on a Linux community forum, I'm sure that there will be people there with the same/similar models, and they'll know.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Earl said:
Sony, but, i'm pretty sure nobody is going to guarantee it works on anything but windows. Frigging monopoly :p.

Ahahahahahahaha! Do NOT expect any sensible support from Sony if anything goes wrong with an install; their Customer Service is utterly crap.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I'd suggest that you post directly on a Linux community forum, I'm sure that there will be people there with the same/similar models, and they'll know.

I have tried, but the one I want seems to be too new a model and nobodys tried it.

I'm the guinipig and hence, I wanted see if anyone knew a way of being able to return it if it dosn't work hehe :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well there is a way of returning it, unfortunately it involves breaking stuff.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you buy something that is fit for the purpose described, then tuff luck if it doesn't do something else you want it to do.

If something cannot be re-sold as new (so unused in the case of pc's), or is not genuinly faulty, then you shouldn't have the right to take it back.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
On that note, PC World were quite happy to sell me a display unit yesterday, and would not knock anything off. So theres not really any difference as long as I dont chuck vimto over it when I get home ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If it was on display and turned on, not just sitting out of the box, then it's not as new. Therefor it should not be sold at the new price.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
It was on display and turned on, they were happy to sell it to me, but since their systems were down I had to come back the next day anyway, so I went to a different PC World to pickup a brand new one.

However i'm sure their excuse would be 'You dont *have* to buy it, we just have none in and are offering you the display one' kinda thing.

Anyway as it turns out, the laptop works perfectly in linux, even the hotkeys. I'm damn impressed, XGL is so sexy :D

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Yaka said:
nope instore pickup downt cover the longdistance sales act or wot ever its called. i know as i got a scanner from pcw like that and in broke down on the 4th day endeed up rmaing it back to canon

as for linux not working, meh somat that works fine on a 486 should be ok on a current model lappy, if theres a prob im sure there is a uber kewl tux forum in the kingdom of penguins or somat

Do PC World sell keyboards too? You look like you need a new one....

:0

Vae

Resident Freddy
Lester said:
Do PC World sell keyboards too? You look like you need a new one....

:0

Nah you just need the Yaka -> English translator :) Someone around here is an expert, just can't remember who.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom