Books discworld

gohan

FH is my second home
thier are 39 books in the series including 5 youngaldult books, do i need to read them all in order? or are thier certain books that go with certain others ect like 5 different series that make up the 39 books?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
The first book of the Series that I read was "Nightwatch" which is one of the Sam Vimes books, my favorites. He is a character in the series (chief of police if you will). From my experience you don't have to read them in order but it does help understanding somewhat and more importantly there are things that are just plain funnier when you know the history of the place. And trust me Pratchett really has created a world with a history!

Would absolutely recommend them though!

Vae

Resident Freddy
The books should probably best be read in order.
They are split between a few genuinely standalone books such as Small Gods where it doesn't matter when they are read and a few series focusing on certain characters e.g.
The Guards
The Witches
Rincewind and the wizards
Death
Nac Mac Feegles

If you read any of these out of order you'll still enjoy them but they're better read in the right continuity. There is some crossover between the different series as they merely focus upon certain characters and others (particularly the watch) are in the background e.g. maskerade

eksdee

FH is my second home
If you read any of these out of order you'll still enjoy them but they're better read in the right continuity.

This.

As far as I see it there is no reason to not read them in order, since the books are so freely available.

All the same, they are great books. Some very fond memories they bring back of my teenage years.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
what Vae said :)

first one i read though was Fifth Elephant followed by Thief of Time, both still my favorite two :)

edit: though I still remember nearly peeing my pants laughing at the Wee Free Men, they are all great :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I read one of them, can't remember which one, but one of them for sure. Think i liked it, but don't think t made a lasting impresson outside of "Wouldn't mind another".

Wouldn't mind another is high praise ofcourse since i read maybe two books a decade :p

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
bah, thought this was about that HL game where you jumped around in space and threw discs at one another :( Cant remember the name of it!

edit. Ricochet!!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Skip the books and just play the Lucas Arts games. Classics!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
there is somewhat of a development of characters over the course of the books especially the witches and the police chars also the tiffany aching books are best read in order.

some are just stand alone books pretty much so your ok if you pick one of those small gods is quite entertaining.

sam vimes is one of my fav chars but i like the books that involve the wizards they are usually hilarious

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
sam vimes is one of my fav chars but i like the books that involve the wizards they are usually hilarious

I agree that the Wizards are great but I just don't like the character of Rincewind and he is usually the protagonist in those.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
what they all said, enjoy them buddy they'll make you think about things differently hehe :)

gohan

FH is my second home
ye i saw that and it quite good except the dotted lines confuse me :< it's like links to say number 4 of wizards and number 6 of wizards so do i read 4 then that then 6? if so where does 5 slot in?

the chart scared me to a degree that i've decided jsut to read them in the order they were written

ordered the first two today :D am quite excited

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
I agree that the Wizards are great but I just don't like the character of Rincewind and he is usually the protagonist in those.

i dont really count him as a wizard if im honest, love ridcully tho i think they are fantasically funny in soul music

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
almost makes me want to get my discworld games/books out tbh <3 death, best character in there as far as i'm concerned (rinsewind isnt too bad but death is le win)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Once you have finished all his books then read Good Omens. It is also excellent!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture

pikeh

Resident Freddy
just read whatever story-arc that most appeals to you, then if you like them go and get the others, they are pretty much all good (I hate Moist VonLipwig stories though).

I like the rincewind stories best, then the watch stories.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Where does Good Omens fit in? It wasn't on the reading chart posted?

Vae

Resident Freddy

It doesn't. It's a standalone story on Earth not Discworld. A brilliant book, darker due to the Neil Gaiman influence.

Other non-discworld books are:
Strata
Dark side of the Sun
Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers, Wings)
Carpet People.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
thier are 39 books in the series including 5 youngaldult books, do i need to read them all in order? or are thier certain books that go with certain others ect like 5 different series that make up the 39 books?

TBH, I think you should not bother with the books and spend some time learning the correct spellings and uses of the word "there" :)

Cerb

I am a FH squatter

Like others have said it isn't part of the Discworld mythology.

Having said that it is really good and I'd definitely recommend it!

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I love the Discworld novels, but serioiusly... Good Omens and The Bromeliad trilogy, thats where he really shines.
Best Discworld novel imo - Reaper man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom