Books Discworld

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Ok I've mentioned it before but I've arrived quite late to the genius that is Terry Pratchett. So far I've read:
Colour of magic
Light fantastic
Mort
Reaperman
The Hogfather
the last continent
Monstrous regiment
Going postal
Making money

I'm currently reading Men at arms but nearly finished it so I'm after some recommendations for my next purchase. My favourites so far have been going postal and making money but really enjoying Men at arms, so anything like those would be great. Anything with Captain Vimes or Vetenari are welcome.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I liked Going Postal/Making money but the Watch ones are probably my favourites

Men at Arms/Guards Guards and is it Night Watch or something similar?

Which is the one where Vimes goes off as like a UN peacekeeper?

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
5th elephant, thud and nightwatch will suite you fine :)
they are the ones with the nightwatch that I really enjoyed.

UN peacekeeper one that Pez mentioned ... forgot the title, but I read the first 14-16 in Dutch

00dave

I remember reading the blurb of one about Vimes going back in time and meeting his younger self or something like that, which one is that?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i second Going Postal/Making money but make sure you read in that order i read in the other way and wasnt so good .l. also the wintersmith i liked :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I remember reading the blurb of one about Vimes going back in time and meeting his younger self or something like that, which one is that?

Thats Night Watch. The best book imho, really fantastic.

Try The Truth as well, a bit of a different one, about AM's first newspaper. Thats good.

Uara

Part of the furniture
I second Night Watch, it is truly a superb book by Pratchett!!

Cozak

Part of the furniture
I second Night Watch, it is truly a superb book by Pratchett!!

Aye that is an awesome book. Another good one I am currently re-reading is Small Gods. Not much to do with Ankh Morpork/The Watch in it at all, but its comedy gold.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Wyrd Sisters was pretty damn funny too...

In fact all of his books are. Just read them all!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
they are all fantastic and you should really read soul music

get all his books i did and there isnt one i dont enjoy or still laugh at to this day.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Im reading them at Swedish... Or I used to. The Discworld is so awesome its beyong belief.... But how does the serie work? I started reading Discworld, is his books based on that serie or standing as independant after that?

00dave

Well today I bought: guards, guards, feet of clay, and thud. Should keep me going a while.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Possibly the one about vimes and the UN is Jingo. I'm sure vimes has something to do with Thief of time but I'm not totally sure.

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Possibly the one about vimes and the UN is Jingo. I'm sure vimes has something to do with Thief of time but I'm not totally sure.

yes to Jingo (thanks was going through my head for a bit)

no to Thief of Time. its about the Sweeper

mooSe_

FH is my second home
hmm I might re-read some discworld books sometime. When I've finished Wheel of time anyway

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Vimes as a peacekeeper could well be Monstrous Regiment. I used to think the best ones were the Watch series but now I prefer the witches. I do think the Rincewind ones are the weakest by far though.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
monstrous regiment has none of the regular charachters in it its about a bunch of girls who pretend to be boys and go off to war funnier than it sounds :)

i love the witches granny weatherwax rocks!

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
The witches are by far my favourite, so I would recommend maskerade and Carpe Jugulum...

Vae

Resident Freddy
I'd say it's best to read them in the order they were published. However it's only important to read each mini-series in order e.g. the Watch (and Ankh Morpork in general), the Witches, Rincewind. It won't be a problem if you read all of one mini-series then another mini-series because the cross-overs are minimal.

Then there are also standalones (e.g. Small Gods, Pyramids) which don't cross over with the others.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ye death stories and watch stories should be read in order or it can be a bit confusing later on i read them out of order and it made no difference just think of some books as prequels :)

rynnor

Rockhound
I dont reccomend his very early sci-fi ones - they arent very well written, poorly edited and 'Strata' is a rework of Larry Niven's 'Ringworld'.

He improved a great deal over the next few books though his most recent books are his best - you can see his skill's improving throughout the series.

Many of his characters start as 2 dimensional stereotypes but are later fleshed out into well rounded characters - for example look at the character of 'Death' in Colour of Magic/Light fantastic and then look at what he became in Mort.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
strata was shit but i loved the carpet people when i was a kid.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
I also love the Nac Mac Feegles....so if you like trying to puzzle your way through complicated but extremely funny written scottish, go for The Wee Free Men or a Hat Full of Sky.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Vimes is the diplomat "peacekeeper" in Monstrous regiment. I suspect the one where you think vimes get's all UN is Jingo where Ankh Morpork and Klatch fall out over a new island that appears between the two countries.

My advice would be to do the series in order if you can..

things like
guards guards / what's the next one? / Jingo / Fifth Elephant / Night Watch

or

witches / witches abroad / carpe jugulum

Colour of Magic / Light Fantastic? (I think that's a rincewind) / Sourcery / The Last Continent

Small Gods is one of the funniest books by pratchett that I've ever read and pyramids/ moving pictures are well worth a read.

I was disappointed with making money btw - I thought after all of his other books to date that was a bit of a let down in quality.

M

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I was disappointed with making money btw - I thought after all of his other books to date that was a bit of a let down in quality.

M

Agree with that.

I also really disliked Monstrous Regiment as well, the fact that;

they were all women got so monotonous and predictable. Found it much less engaging after the Sargeant turned out to be a woman as well.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Vimes is the diplomat "peacekeeper" in Monstrous regiment. I suspect the one where you think vimes get's all UN is Jingo where Ankh Morpork and Klatch fall out over a new island that appears between the two countries.

Yes he meets 71-hour Ahmed and they investigate the princes death

russell

FH is my second home
Thanks guys -I am going to enter Discworld after my last assignment -Pratchett has kinda passed me by until your recommendations

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I second the recommendation for Small Gods, it's a great one that takes the piss out of all sky fairy botherers! Good Omens is great as well, although not discworld related, it's by the similarly awesome Neil Gaiman.

Best to read them in order. Your local library should have them all available if you don't want to buy them, as there are a lot! His next discworld book will be out in October, and it's an underdog sports team piss-take, which should be interesting!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
where did you hear about that new book i havent heard about it yet?

scrub that just found it for those interested its called unseen academicals

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom