Discontinuance of Duskwave.com DAoC

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all, been a while.

I'm just reposting announcement from my site here for those who might care to know, because nobody reads the news over there anyways. :)
Hope nobody minds the post.

Link to original: http://duskwave.com/daoc/news.php

After more than four years, it's finally time to say good bye to Duskwave DAoC. I've decided to discontinue the service 31.12.2006.
It's already been 2 years since I stopped playing DAoC, but because the site required very little maintenance and also because some users really seemed to like the site, I've kept it running. The user numbers have been going down for long time but we still seem to get 200-400 unique visitors (addresses) each day so there must be some out there that really prefer this site, even with all it's problems that are mainly due to my lack of further development.
Still, finally I've decided to discontinue the site, main reason being that it costs me some money to pay for the mysql service required for it, which I wouldn't otherwise need at all.

I've also decided to make all the source code for the site and assorted programs freely available, in the hopes that it might be helpful to anyone already running or planning to start a site like this, even though it might be unlikely that anyone would be starting a new site like this for this game anymore.
The complete source code may be downloaded here: (link omitted from this post, refer to original news post if interested).
Please be sure to read included README file for important information you should know prior to using any of those source codes.

One more thing. If you know some sites providing similar information about EU DAoC servers (not sites only for certain guilds, alliances, realms and so on but server wide rankings/statistics), I would appreciate if you sent me links to them so I can include those links in place of the site when I remove it in order to help people find new place to go to. You can email me by sending message to user 'simo' at domain 'duskwave.com'.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all the users and especially the many people who've sent me feedback, bug reports and so on over the years. It's been interesting.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Thanks for running the service for so long Belo, was incredibly useful over the years :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
thanks belo was an awesome service, and although i dont play anymore i used it during my many years in DAoC :p

No way was it 2 years ago when you done the Beno keep camps etc ^^ Shame to see the site go though, thumbs up for keeping it going for so long :]

Shady-

Fledgling Freddie
great work man , thanks :) every thing has begining and the end , good luck in other projects whatever you do.

Himse

FH is my second home
Awesome site, shame to see it go !:worthy:

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
Realy liked the site, and going to miss it. Thanks for running it.

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks belorfyn for a great service over past few years. Too bad the service will not be available no more. However I'll look in the code how you've done it, and might host of some version of it in future.

Thanks for making the code of the service public.

Gamah

Banned
Cheers Belo, when I was playing this site was one of my regulars, but I guess with the IRC bots about now combined with the demise of Daoc there is little point keeping it open.

Thanks for providing a great site for 1000's of people.

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone know if there is another site, where you can check stats for EU servers?

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers Belo - always used the site.

May get the source code from u and see if i can get it set up....

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for all you time and hardwork m8. Used this site almost daily. Will be sorry to see it go.

:fluffle:

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
Awesome site. Thumbs up for all the work you put into it. :worthy:

Dard

Part of the furniture
Used it loads of the years, sorry to see it go, but thanks for running it for so long even after you stopped playing :worthy:

Twinkies

Fledgling Freddie
Checked it more or less every day in my active DAoC days, good work dude :worthy:

leviathane

Part of the furniture
will be a sad day, but thanks for keeping the site up for so long after you quit the game :)

Scousemouse

Loyal Freddie
Excellent site, thx for running it and sorry to see it go:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom