Disconnecting problems...

C

caLLous

Just want to rant a little and maybe get some advice. I had Zen's Home1000 service installed last Thursday and it's been disconnecting completely at random at least 5 times a day. This is annoying me lots.

I rang Zen and the best advice they could give was to ring them when it happened. But of course, Sod's Law in full effect, it either happens when I'm asleep or outside business hours, so I can't. They said that if I rang them just after it disconnected they'd be able to do a line check and see if there was a problem somewhere, but they couldn't do it while it was connected because if it was connected then everything would come out fine. I offered to disconnect so they could do a line check then and there, but he said the same would happen. So I'm completely at a loss, I haven't spoken to Zen since, because he said there was nothing they could do about it unless I rang back when it failed.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? The exchange is well within range, I was on their 512kbit service about half a mile further away and I stayed connected literally for weeks. Any help is gratefully accepted. :)

C

Custodian

Anything plugged into the phone line other than the modem or router for ya PC, e.g. phones, modems, sky connection?

C

caLLous

Sorry, should've said all of this the first time around, I'm such a n00b sometimes. Speedtouch USB modem (the horrible little blue thing, using v1.4 of their software/drivers), plugged into a USB hub and then into my computer. We did the DIY installation thing with microfilters. Downstairs the phone and the Speedtouch are both plugged into the right bits of the microfilter.

Upstairs, the landlord has plugged a 56k modem into the phone part of the filter (cos I refused to share :>), but I told Zen about this and they said it would make no difference whatsoever because the filter essentially makes 2 channels and as long as you have a microfilter in every used phone socket in the house, that would ensure no interference.

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. I've got it reconnecting 10 seconds after it dies, but it's not the same as having a reliable connection. :(

C

Custodian

Well the phone & modem seem to be plugged in ok, and running a 56k modem via filter on the same line should have no impact - certainly doesn't on mine.

Have ya tried removing the hub from the circuit, just have the modem connected to the PC?

E

evilmonkeh

when i first got adsl, it kept disconecting for every hour or two, so i gave the oild isp a ring (f2s), and they did a complaint thing with BT.
bt phoned back the next day, said that a fault had been discovered and said they fixed it.
didnt play up after that

W

wyrd_fish

i have zen adsl

it was abit unstable for the first few weeks, but it soon cleared up

Users who are viewing this thread