Disapointed with my new comp...

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

The performace seems crap tbh. I was expecting to run pretty much every game with a decent framerate... games run no better than they did on my old computer!

New computer:
AMD XP2800+
GA-7N400-L mobo
1gb TwinMOS PC3200 DDR
Hercules Radeon 9800 (flashed to pro)

Old computer:
AMD XP1800+
ECS K7S5A
768mb PC2100 DDR
Leadtek Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb

The thing is, I was expecting great performance but I dont notice much of a difference. For example on my old computer
UT2003 ran at 30-40fps @ 1280*1024 on my new one it runs at 40-50fps @ 1600*1200
Mafia ran at 25-30fps @ 1280*1024 on my old computer new one it runs at 20 - 25fps @ 1600*1200
The only game i've noticed any real differnce in is the UT which used to run at 100fps now runs at 170pfs, which is ironic because I cant even notice that difference.

Are those framerates what I should be getting on my system?

If not, what could be wrong? Thanks.

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One thing I did note while building it was that there were a series of 6 jumpers labelled CLK_RATIO and in the manual it says if you have a cpu multiplier of ** set the jumpers to [whatever] but I dont know what my CPU multiplier is :-| Maybe this is my problem?

T

throdgrain

If you go into bios, check your cpu is running at the correct speed.
An XP2800+ runs at 2.083 ghz which is 166 with a multiplyer of 12.5.
Hope that helps :)

B

Big G

A few questions spring to mind:

1) Why bother upgrading if your FPS were decent enough?

2) You're running your new games at a much higher res than before, and still seeing an improvement - i don't see much of a problem there?

3) If UT was running at 100 fps, and now 170 fps - you expect to see a difference? :) - come on man, get a grip ;)

Things to think about:

1) When I upgraded to my 9800 Pro, FSAA and Anisotropic filtering were on by default which kinda owned my fps on 3dmark2003, which made me go "unnh wtf is wrong". Maybe happening on your system? Try setting FSAA and Anisotropic filtering and see what your fps are like then.

2) The games you are playing are "old" engines. Try running Doom3 / HL2 when they arrive (or even max payne 2, or the new tombraider) on the old system and you'll be lucky to get more than a slideshow, where as on the DX9 card it'll be flying along.

I found my 9800 Pro to be only an average improvement over my Ti4400 in current games like CS. The only time i noticed a differece was when there was loads of smoke grenades going off (no slowdown at all) and also the fact that the Doom3 alpha ran at more than 5 fps!

Additionally, I find that the 9800 pro allows me to play the games in the same resolutions i did before, but with fsaa and aniso cranked up with no fps degradation.

G

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Actually, I was just expecting to be able to play mafia at 60fps :(

FSAA and AF are set to "Application preference"

As for your questions:

1) My FPS were Ok but it wasnt really "my" computer, it was the family one and I wanted my own :)

2) Well I was expecting a higher improvement that's all.

3) I know which is why i said it was ironic ;)

If you go into bios, check your cpu is running at the correct speed.
An XP2800+ runs at 2.083 ghz which is 166 with a multiplyer of 12.5.
Hope that helps

Cheers. I knew the FSB and that's set correctly. Even windows tells me that i'm running at 2.08ghz

I will check the CPU multiplier jumpers though. Do they actually made any difference?

T

throdgrain

I found my 9800 pro to be slightly slower for cs than my old GF4 ti 4400.
Newer games on the other hand are excellent. :)

R

Rubber Bullets

Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi

UT2003 ran at 30-40fps @ 1280*1024 on my new one it runs at 40-50fps @ 1600*1200
Mafia ran at 25-30fps @ 1280*1024 on my old computer new one it runs at 20 - 25fps @ 1600*1200

I know very little, so I won't try to help you.

As has been said though these comparisons are not 'like for like'.

Out of interest can you please set up the new computer exactly as you had the old one and see what fps you get? My guess is that at 1280x1024 you'll get your 60fps in Mafia, and maybe a bit extra :).

Also is it possible that Mafia has chosen to use FSAA with the new card but didn't with the old one?

RB

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I have exactly the same settings and i'm getting 35fps rather than 25 that i would on the other compuer :-| FSAA is off.

E

evilmonkeh

what fps do you get at the same resolution?
1280*1024 = 1,310,720
1600*1200= 1,920,000
that is a good 50% extra to draw
try maxpayne 2 or something as stated and you will notice a difference;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom