Dido

S

Sir Frizz

Her music has grown on me now. :(

Lesbefriends!

M

maxi--

urgh along with COUNTLESS other bands that get chart success tthese days (and have done since forever)

bands include : Coldplay, David Gray, RHCP, The Stereophonics, Athlete, Travis, Norah Jones, etc etc.

they are DULL AS DISHWATER artists watered down shite, inoffensive and uninspiring to the degree where by they should be pigeon holed as 'Muzak'.

As tunes, it's probably impossible to hate the above artists music, because they are so fucking bland. As a concept i detest them, songs that sound like something they aren't, lacking in substance, musical skill, emotion and genuine feeling. if you really LISTEN to those 'moving' tunes they mean FUCK ALL, it's all so cliched, lyrics, either so vague they could mean anything or just rambling bullshit that sounds 'sad'.

and thats why the general public love them so. They don't have to take risks.

I hope i just named all your favourite bands.

I like fun music too, it doesn't have to mean anything except a good dance, but if you're gonna have a crack at melancholy, make a fukcing effort instead of sounding like(lyircally at least) 1000 bands before you.

honourable mention to Richard Ashcroft, shit ****.

S

Sir Frizz

I take it you like Slipknot/Rammstein, apparently they create "energy", according to a work colleague of mine.

Personally, i hope they implode.

M

maxi--

hahaha, do some research on this here forum. Listen to the bands i do, then slate me.

additionally i hate Slipknot more than any of the above bands (except maybe The Stereophonics)

S

Sir Frizz

Please, don't take everything as a personal insult. It was just a sly stab at your ego. :)

M

maxi--

If i took it personally i'd have called you a retard.

B

bigfoot

Having listened to the Dido album (and found it incredibly dull bar the first single) this album is far superior, even if Maxi will probably suggest it is a Norah Jones clone :>.

S

Sharma

heh, i liked her music straight from her first single, hearing her signing on "Eminem - Stan" kinda got me hooked pretty damn quick. :D

M

maxi--

Originally posted by bigfoot
Having listened to the Dido album (and found it incredibly dull bar the first single) this album is far superior, even if Maxi will probably suggest it is a Norah Jones clone :>.

I think Norah Jones is just as dull as dido, as for similarities, well, that the point isn't it? If they were too different they wouldn't be selling millions of records.

M

Munkey-

I dunno, i like Dido and I really like Norah Jone's music.....and coldplay.......and the stereophonics......travis....

does this make me the antichrist?

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
Please, don't take everything as a personal insult. It was just a sly stab at your ego. :)

Next time stab him in the face.

I did enjoy the original Album but I've heard the second one isn't that good.

D

doh_boy

Just out of morbid curosity then what would you, maxii musical genious, recommend for the us the 'lazy, retarded' masses? Consider the fact that when your predecessor (scoob) decided to 'let us in on some TOP music' every band bar one was unmitigated shite. As much as I think mank is a grumpy bast who tend to get very angry at the drop of a hat I appreicate the way he puts his view across (at least when it comes to music) and his recommendations have been top notch so far (d.a.d being one). Also Xtro (the old, grumpy fecker :p) generally has sensible opinions expressed calmly (well most of the time) but I've yet to be arsed enough to investigate his recommendations. So in closing do you like being a wanker or can you not help it?

Also

Coldplay, Travis, RHCP, Athlete I've not heard the album but I've liked a fair few singles.

Stereophonics: first album was top, second album was ok after that bland (omg I agree :eek:)

As for dido herself, I like white flag (or whatever its called) and a handfull of others and I dislike a fair amount but I wouldn't call it bland.

Norah Jones: I like the single (most popular one she done) but I generally don't bother with 'singer-songwriters' I suppose I should but I've not got a lot of money to spend on music.

L

leggy

On the most part I kind of agree with what maxi has said. But if you ever slate Rush of blood to the head again I will stab you in the fucking head. :)

Just about every other band he has listed makes me want to kill people and burn things. Slipknot, stereophonics, david gray et. al. can die horribly. If at all possible. And for the record Rammstein are excellent.

X

Xtro 2.0

"The day I let someone else tell me what to listen to, that what I listen to isn't cool enough for them or may be too old, out of fashion or fuck knows what...is the day I take out a hacksaw and cut my motherfucking balls off and ask everyone to call me Mary Jane.

So tell me again Mr Reporter for the Rolling Stone piece of motherfucking shit...you gonna say what you just said again or do I put away my hacksaw you fucking cocksucker."

Al Jourgensen 1991.

L

leggy

I could really do with that quote in my sig.

But its too long :/

M

MYstIC G

I like a portion of the new album, but for the most part only the current single is of any merit imho (though that is clearly tainted by the fact that she needs David wassisface in the video).

I'll be taking my copy back though as the copy protection on it is utterly fucking hideous, nasty nasty noises on the CD players i've tried it on & no creating decent MP3s for me to be able to listen to it on the way to work :(

It's like they want me to install Kaaza :/

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by leggy
And for the record Rammstein are excellent.

Did you ever see the short video, where there's this guy on all fours with his arse out, and the "lead singer" gets his nob out, moves up behind him and starts pissing all over the fucking place.

That's just fucked up, not music.

:/

X

Xtro 2.0

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
Did you ever see the short video, where there's this guy on all fours with his arse out, and the "lead singer" gets his nob out, moves up behind him and starts pissing all over the fucking place.

That's just fucked up, not music.

:/

Its just art, and music and music video are just another form of art (well allegedly but after watching Pop Idol et al...).

I don't find that unsettling at all. The only film attributed to a band that did make me want to puke was "A Millenia of Rotting Meat" by the performance collective/band Throbbing Gristle who were kicking about from 1975-1980. They'd project the film onto the band as they played gigs. A key member was Genesis P. Orridge who later founded Psychic TV and its offshoot Thee Temple Ov Psychick Youth. He's a bit mad at times but can produce some brilliant music and went from being extremely off the wall to being worshipped as one of the people who contributed to the birth of acid house.

He's still going but is now more interested in him and his wife having their sexual organs removed so they can "be the same species in heart, mind and body". O....k :)

/edit: I love Rammstein btw, great to see live. Lucky enough to have seen them in Prague a bit back.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by doh_boy
Just out of morbid curosity then what would you, maxii musical genious, recommend for the us the 'lazy, retarded' masses? Consider the fact that when your predecessor (scoob) decided to 'let us in on some TOP music' every band bar one was unmitigated shite. As much as I think mank is a grumpy bast who tend to get very angry at the drop of a hat I appreicate the way he puts his view across (at least when it comes to music) and his recommendations have been top notch so far (d.a.d being one). Also Xtro (the old, grumpy fecker :p) generally has sensible opinions expressed calmly (well most of the time) but I've yet to be arsed enough to investigate his recommendations. So in closing do you like being a wanker or can you not help it?

Also

Coldplay, Travis, RHCP, Athlete I've not heard the album but I've liked a fair few singles.

Stereophonics: first album was top, second album was ok after that bland (omg I agree :eek:)

As for dido herself, I like white flag (or whatever its called) and a handfull of others and I dislike a fair amount but I wouldn't call it bland.

Norah Jones: I like the single (most popular one she done) but I generally don't bother with 'singer-songwriters' I suppose I should but I've not got a lot of money to spend on music.

This is brilliant. You've rambeld on at me without have much of a clue what the above artists sound like, and that's who I'm slagging off.

You just didn't like my tone and thought you'd have a dig. Well done.

I don't know what sort os music you like doh_boy, give me a few examples and i will recomend some stuff to you. Unless you like Nu Metal (im no authority on that shit). Scoobs recomendations were probably broad suggestions(we're into very different things anyway), I'm sure that bands like Heavenly are good, but I wouldn't recomend them to Xtro, just cos i know it's not his bag, being the jaded punk he is. You get the picture anyway.

If you don't think Dido is bland, there is seriously something wrong with you, it engineered to be bland, inoffensive...that's the idea of it. It's coffee table music, next step up is Coldplay. Boring.

D

doh_boy

The point of the post was an attempt to get you to be a bit more productive in your posts. Everything I've seen you post in the music forum has been along the lines of 'x is so shit, y is crap' wihtout any sort of ' thats crap why not listen to x'. If you don't like dido wonderful but its not exactly sparkling conversation is it?

Why not just post some recommendations I will probably listen to most of them because I'm getting kinda bored with music at the moment (loving kings of leon album though). As for what type I have a large range of tastes and pretty much anything that isn't pop-rnb I like. I don't mind the fact that your opinion is different from mine its just that you come across as a tosser who doesn't give a shit about anyone elses point of view. There seems little point in doing that.

As for 'having a go at you' *shrug* you annoyed me, I said so.

All I am saying is that it might be an idea to promote conversation rather than 'I am better than you'. I likened you to scoob which was actually a compliment (albiet a back handed one :p) which basically mean't I'm assuming you can 'walk the walk' and actually do have a well informed opinion.

I know I get annoyed when my mates ignore the emails with 'omg top song' as their title. Whats stopping you showing the forum your taste in music? As for choosing what music I will like well xtro's quote fits quite well doesn't it? :p

E

Embattle

doh_boy, I wouldn't bother wasting your time on him ;)

Y

Yoni

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
"The day I let someone else tell me what to listen to, that what I listen to isn't cool enough for them or may be too old, out of fashion or fuck knows what...is the day I take out a hacksaw and cut my motherfucking balls off and ask everyone to call me Mary Jane.

So tell me again Mr Reporter for the Rolling Stone piece of motherfucking shit...you gonna say what you just said again or do I put away my hacksaw you fucking cocksucker."

Al Jourgensen 1991.

For once the old boy says something I do agree with :clap:

O

Ono

Fuck! Forgot I started this thread. ;)

Anyway, yeah, been hooked on Stan (so sad) and Whiteflag these few days.

I like her.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by doh_boy
The point of the post was an attempt to get you to be a bit more productive in your posts. Everything I've seen you post in the music forum has been along the lines of 'x is so shit, y is crap' wihtout any sort of ' thats crap why not listen to x'. If you don't like dido wonderful but its not exactly sparkling conversation is it?

I did actually explain perfectly well why i didnt like the artists, on this very thread no less.

Not only that, but i've suggested things that people might want to listen to on this forum for ages.

If you like The Kings Of Leon, then try the following songs.
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl (album: Get Born)
BRMC - STOP (album: Take them on, on your own)
Raveonettes - The Great Love Sound (album: chain gang of love)

Jet highly rip off the Stones (and the Jam) but in such a way, that as long as no fucker starts declaring them the NEW stones, it doesn't matter, it's good fun.

The Raveonettes sound like a poppy Jesus & Mary Chain. good too.

Try The Stooges too, start with 'Gimme Danger' and 'Search and Destroy' both of the album Raw Power. Which everyone should own.

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by maxi--

If you don't think Dido is bland, there is seriously something wrong with you, it engineered to be bland, inoffensive...that's the idea of it. It's coffee table music, next step up is Coldplay. Boring.

Must be something wrong with me then as I don't find dido bland, more soothing or relaxing. You see your and most peoples problems today is you listen too much to the words and not the music, the key changes, the melody, the harmony etc. Dido's vocal ability is so impressive she doesn't need words but it makes for easier listening, have you heard her live? It was for want of a better word beautiful. Ever heard of sigur ros, they don't use words, they sing in gibberish just made up sounds but still very good.
Classical music doesn't usually contain many words and when it does it's usually in another launguage, Beethoven's ode to joy is one of my all time favourites and that's in German.
The same goes for dance music, in many ways it's similar to classical in that it's mainly about the sound not the song.

In short, stop listening to the lyrics and listen the sounds that make up the song and you'll find yourself listening to a greater variety of music.

M

maxi--

yes i have heard of Sigur Ros, for the record I think they're dull too, but i dont like GYBE much either. I do like Tortoise though, and Slint.

In short, stop listening to the lyrics and listen the sounds that make up the song and you'll find yourself listening to a greater variety of music

another funny one. I listen to a LOT of music, a LOT of different bands, and all for very different reasons, assuming that i just listen to lyrics maks you look stupid.

As for sounds that make up a good song, listen to The beach Boys - Pet Sounds, The Beatles - Sgt Peppers, The Hidden Cameras - Smell Of Our Own, Belle & Sebastian - If you're Feeling Sinister, Nick Drake - Bryter Layter, David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust & Spiders from mars, anything by the Velvet Underground, anything by Felt, anything by Tindersticks, Pavement, Smog, Jeff Buckley etc etc...listen to any of those and you might agree that Dido sounds bland in comparison.

O

old.ignus

No I don't agree with you. I know you just enjoy winding people up by slagging off their music and pretending you know more about music than anyone but only you can't see that everyone thinks you're a sad little loser.

TBH I think the beatles, David Bowie (apart from heros), Belle & Sebastian and Jeff Buckley are "bland" as you keep putting it, their music never really impressed me. And I'm not saying that to try and annoy anyone those are my genuine beliefs, I never understood the success of the Beatles.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by old.ignus
No I don't agree with you. I know you just enjoy winding people up by slagging off their music and pretending you know more about music than anyone but only you can't see that everyone thinks you're a sad little loser.

Great retort. It amounts to "LALALA IM NOT LISTENING"

Additionally, it's not 'your music' It's not my problem you take it so personally. I criticised the music, not the listener.

You really do look like an idiot now.

TBH I think the beatles, David Bowie (apart from heros), Belle & Sebastian and Jeff Buckley are "bland" as you keep putting it, their music never really impressed me. And I'm not saying that to try and annoy anyone those are my genuine beliefs, I never understood the success of the Beatles.

So you are saying Dido is better than the Beatles?
Priceless.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by maxi--

You really do look like an idiot now.

I think you'll actually find most of the people posting here consider this comment fits you better than any one else....even more so with every dumbass reply and total lack of understanding about peoples personal tastes and how they may just differ from yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom