Film Diary of the Dead

Damini

Part of the furniture
I cannot understand why this is getting even passable reviews.

I love Zombie films, particularly Romero ones (I pretend Land of the Dead didn't happen). I love trashy movies. I really enjoy the current trend for hand held camera films, all low budget and shaky.

This was all of the above. Soaked in poo.

It starts out with film students, making a dopey horror film out in the woods. At one stage, a girl has her top ripped open, and trips over, and one of her shoes falls off. She complains, demanding to know why in horror films this always happens to girls.

Oh yes, it's true. Later in the film, she's in the woods, and loses a shoe, and exposes a boob! OH MY GOD IT'S LIKE SO FUNNY AND IRONIC FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE WORD IRONY MEANS. I'm looking at you, Alanis. I blame you.

Ok, so the whole film is then filmed on a shaky camera. Except, at some stage, a big film executive has watched this, and had a mini spasm, and informed them it was bland shite, and where was the backing music?

So they add backing music. But they explain this, with a painful cut scene, that goes a little like this:

"This was (generic guy whose name I've forgotten)'s film. He asked me to show it to the world. So I've edited it together, and added background music to make it more scary. Because, you should be scared."

Oh, and when they film a scene using the survailence footage from a warehouse? They explain this, with a painful cut scene, that goes a little like this:

"Dude. I've found surveillance footage from where we entered the warehouse. I am going to intercut it with the footage from my camera, like this, watch... Wow, I've totally edited the footage together, and this explains my deviation from the directorial desire to capture the whole event on hand held camera, so no film students in the audience can complain."

Oh, and they have this alcoholic director guy with them, who is English, which is why he is all intelligent and uses lots of syllabols in his words, and I suspect is also why he looks like he knows his career is dying on screen, and has a faint sadness about him. He's supposed to provide wisdom and insight to the film, but just has these really tragic lines that you know are meant to stand out as SOCIAL INSIGHT but just kind of fail.

I haven't mentioned the zombies yet. Meh. Now I have.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't bother. However, some people seem to love this film. I think that's the real social commentary, and the scary portent of doom for the human population.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So what you're saying is this film has boobs.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
boobs. sounds like an awesome plot already..

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
For fucks sake guys give Damini a break.

There is no b00bs its only 1 b00b, she already said only 1 b00b came out.

Either way its a score!

Films with a b00b in ftw!!!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
\o/\o/\o/

Yay for a b00b!!!!1111one!!!!

Damini

Part of the furniture
*A* boob, as Trem has correctly pointed out. Still contained within a bra, iirc.

Don't do it. As James Bond once said, the boob is not enough.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
*A* boob, as Trem has correctly pointed out. Still contained within a bra, iirc.

Don't do it. As James Bond once said, the boob is not enough.

You never mentioned a bra :eek:

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
people making poor zombie films makes baby jesus cry :(

George Romero is a legend, there should be a law against rubbish zombie films, its just wrong.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
My flat mate and I had quite the arguement over wether this was worse than Day of the Dead. Personally I think it was but they were both terrible.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Diary of the Dead was awful, both the UK version and the US.

Dawn of the Dead is one of the best Romero zombie films, closely followed by Tony Todds appearance in Night of the Living Dead (don't shoot the fuel pump! :D )

grandfather

Fledgling Freddie
I didn't like all that "reality show-shaking camera-teen crap" hype.

Just like Blair Witch and Cloverfield. But, I guess it's a trend. Meh.

P.S.
Whoever like this type of movies (mentioned in quotes) should watch Spanish movie [REC]. It's much better executed.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Let's be honest, Dawn of the Dead was the best zombie film made thus far.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I didn't like all that "reality show-shaking camera-teen crap" hype.

Just like Blair Witch and Cloverfield. But, I guess it's a trend. Meh.

P.S.
Whoever like this type of movies (mentioned in quotes) should watch Spanish movie [REC]. It's much better executed.

REC was insane, good film though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom