DHCP Server software

W

Wilier

Anyone know of any freeware that would enable me to use my Xp Pro based machine as a DHCP server?

Answers to the usual address please.

S

Summo

You could enable Internet Connection Sharing which would automatically configure your XP machine as a simple DHCP server, in that it will dish out IP addresses on the same subnet to clients.

Dunno if you want more than that.

W

Wilier

Dunno if thats what I want :p

Basically, Ive become involved in running a few LAN parties, and to save hassle (hopefully) Id like to run a DHCP so people dont have to piss about with IP's.

Would the method you describe assign IP's to any MS OS that connected to the network?

P

PR.

Why not just invest 15-30 quid in a switch, you get better speeds and it does all the hardwork...

W

Wilier

Well, I have a 24port 10/100 switch, but I didnt realise that would assign IP's?

M

Mellow-

It doesn't. But he didn't mean that. He meant you wouldn't need to worry about IP's because the switch doesn't care.

D

Deadmanwalking

I take it u wont be getting an i-net connection involved?

W

Wilier

Thats a negative DMW. Purely for file sharing and games, about 50 people all set. 3 games servers and 2 24 pt switches.

M

Mellow-

50 people
3 servers

2 24 connection switches.

Hello, maths? Not enough! :p

W

Will

If you are shelling out that sort of cash, dare I suggest a little Linux or BSD server? Its really not as bad as you think it is.

U

[UKLans]Khan

W

Wilier

Originally posted by Will.
If you are shelling out that sort of cash, dare I suggest a little Linux or BSD server? Its really not as bad as you think it is.

Hey, Im up for anything Will, just point me in the right direction.

and Khan, helpfull as ever. Thanks mate. Do you use DHCP, or do you get your weedy 25 people to manually assign their IP's??

:p

From Tuscows:
.....It uses the Blowfish encryption algorithms for secure administration. Expression scripting allows for scripts in dynamic provisioning environments and hooks to third party Network Management Systems. ....

Buh??

D

Deadmanwalking

What switch u got atm? And how much u willing to spend on the setup?

W

Will

Blowfish is just a kind of encryption.

I'll speak to you later about my suggestions.

U

[UKLans]Khan

I use DHCP at our lans, very useful tool, we do however specify our server IP so we can publish them on the Intranet.

Thanks

Khan

W

Wilier

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
What switch u got atm? And how much u willing to spend on the setup?

The switch's are 3com SuperStack 3300's like this .

And Id like to spend as little as possible. ;)

D

Deadmanwalking

So 1 of those switches ^^ 50 ppl and 3 servers? its been mentioned i know but all ports are full and maybe a few more needed?

But u arnt looking for a new box to not only house the servers on but also do dhcp?

As u can have the ppl plugged into the switches u have and then either 100 base tx to a dif switch with the servers and dhcp on OR (better option) get a gig module for ur existing switch and plug ur servers/dhcp into a sep switch all with a gig link into the punter switches :p

Hope that makes sense :p

W

Will

Lets try again. He has 2 of those switches, which are stackable, and 3 server boxes, and have the feeling new hardware is on a "If I really have to, but I'd rather lose a bollock" basis.

And do we have to highlight about in about 50 people again?

There are a lot of answers, Khan has given him some lovely WinXP solutions, and I have some *nix solutions that we are chatting about. I don't think any major hardware is needed.

And Wilier...I saw the price of those switches...:eek6:

D

Deadmanwalking

Yeah but im thinking about performance here not just now but in the future? and anyway was just getting exactly what was wanted. And that ABOUT that u keep stressing cant suddenly go up TO 50 can it?

Ok back to the problem ... The Servers what OS are they running on? Im gonna assume windows of some description? If its 2k or XP khans idea would be best as their would be no new hardware involved.

K

kameleon

<pedantic>If you want to run 3 servers it should be about 45 people</pedantic>

W

Wilier

OK, to clear up, which Will has done anyway.

We have 2 of the switches, yes this gives us just 48 ports, 3 of which will be taken by servers, BUT, we have a couple of 8 port switches which we can always use if we need more room.

The servers all run XP pro.

Last LAN, we had 46 people, so thats ABOUT 50.

Will, I got the switches from ebay, Im not paying that sort of money. ;)

W

Will

Oh yes, so it is...

...I'd check the saved items folder too, if I were you.;)

Users who are viewing this thread