Desk + Monitor (1440p+)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm due some new toys soon and I've decided I need a new desk and a monitor.. Currently got a 22" (I think) 1680x1080 TV/Monitor and a generic desk..

What I need is:

- 1440p+ Monitor (£500 or so)
- Desk that can support new monitor and my current one (As I like having it as a TV) (< £150)

I had it in my mind that the 2560x1080 ultra-wide screens would be good, but I don't know if I'll miss the extra 300px from having 1440? Not quite sure if it's going 4k though.

Any suggestions?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have one of these on my desk at work currently and the first thing I am going Monday is getting rid of it. I used and will again be using two 22 inch monitors of a monitor arm instead. It looks weird and the loss of screen space is not worth it just to have one monitor. The two Samsung's I use are £100 each and both 1080p they are nothing special but for email and remote control software they are fine.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I have one of these on my desk at work currently and the first thing I am going Monday is getting rid of it. I used and will again be using two 22 inch monitors of a monitor arm instead. It looks weird and the loss of screen space is not worth it just to have one monitor. The two Samsung's I use are £100 each and both 1080p they are nothing special but for email and remote control software they are fine.
I'm still waiting to see what Dell do in response to the LG 34UM95... it's the same 21:9 aspect ratio as that one that you have but bigger with a higher res, 3440x1440 - apparently that extra desktop real estate makes all the difference. Some techy sites picked up rumours about a Dell U3415W in development but that was back in December and nothing has been heard since. Mind you, Dell put the year number in their monitor model names so maybe we aren't expecting this one until 2015. :(

I'm still on my trusty 2405FPW as my primary monitor - I can't believe it's going to be 10 next year.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm still on my trusty 2405FPW as my primary monitor - I can't believe it's going to be 10 next year.

I have one of those going spare atm chumbacon if you want to double up. ofc, I'm not sending it so maybe I'll have to do that road trip thing we were talking about once :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Who actually manufactures the Dell panels? I know Dell don't have an LCD fabrication plant, they probably just have a driver board / S/W. Maybe only S/W

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The 34" 21:9 is going to use the LG panel. They use panels from all over though.

They all do it even the ones that do fabricat panels. A company builds a production line, say 24" IPS, and offers uneeded capacity to the other manufactures. Sony do not make any panels yet sales people insist on telling me they are the best :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Alas, 34" is a bit too big for my desk :(

Was considering the smaller LG, but am still looking.

Still focused on a 2560x1440 though. I want a jump bigger than 1080p (As I have the kit to support it anyway) cause of movies more than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom