Desert Combat Maps

D

Deadmanwalking

As a thread as this is yet to exist, here it is.

After playing DC for the last few days, im both impressed and at the same time very inhappy with it's maps.

Some of the new maps are bloody excellent, DC Urban Siege being my favourite by a long way. Yet they still insist on putting maps like Battle of 73rd easting in. It's an awful map even for me as an avid Anti-Tank/Spec forces moron.

I think more thought has to go into what maps they include as they obviously have some quite talented mappers around. This is before we get to the Vanilla Battlefield maps which in most cases are bloody awful when playing them with DC.

Oh and the littlebirds are the single greatest addition to this game since the Blackhawk.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Agreed, Urban Siege is definately the win when it comes to the new maps (and the old). Playing last night was the most fun I've had on DC in a long time.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
The Server I play on most at the moment is GameServers.net - DC Heaven|35ms|62.212.75.172:14567, it is a server that only has Urban Siege in the rotation.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Oooh, nice one. May have to go have a looksee.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Tbh I do like DC. However I have to say I really dont think that the close up infantry maps, like berlin or urban siege are its strong point.
For me the perspective is all wrong some how, it just looks very arcadey and , well, wrong somehow. Like the biulding walls dont seem very solid somehow , and I dont feel I know very wellwhere I am.
I prefer maps like 73rd Easting any day of the week.

Athan

Resident Freddy
I can only think of two DC maps I loathe.

Market Garden, unless they fixed this now. Pre 0.5 it was completely unbalanced. Opposition had a heli, so some air support, and tanks. Coalition had a heli too, fine, and planes... but they were F16s so not MUCH use against the Opposition ground forces, and no tanks at all. Just some Bradleys which are dead to one or two shots from a T-72.
I did try to check this on 0.5 but it kept on crashing just as I would have gotten in the game.

Operation Bragg. A night-time map would be great IF there was night vision (say on special forces), working vehicles headlights, flares, spotlights on helicopters, etc etc etc. As it is the whole map is like just feeling around in the dark.

The problem with 73rd Eastings is that if the Opposition has more than half a clue they'll win it, no contest. Set up the SCUD to pound the Coalition main base, have a couple of infantry plus tanks in pits at 73rd Eastings itself, and anti-armor/special ops at Norfolk laying mines and C4 and generally causing havoc (and they can always nip into the T-72 and sit on a repair pad too).

Going back to the more infantry style maps, aye, big problem is finding your way around them. Urban Siefe is particularly bad for this, you can be 10 pixels away from a flag but about 3 miles walk to actually get to it. I do like those new tanks for some reason though, I think it's the nice high view point on them.

As for Berlin, it's always been an unbalanced POS. If opposition isn't asleep they just corner Coalition in there forever. Lay mines and explosives on the main way out so the tanks can't get out, and otherwise pound it with your own tank, few snipers at distance, plenty of infantry up close (especially on the side path out). For that style of map Stalingrad is much better (actually that was my favourite map for playing CTF when I did).

-Ath, rambling.

D

Deadmanwalking

throdgrain said:
Tbh I do like DC. However I have to say I really dont think that the close up infantry maps, like berlin or urban siege are its strong point.
For me the perspective is all wrong some how, it just looks very arcadey and , well, wrong somehow. Like the biulding walls dont seem very solid somehow , and I dont feel I know very wellwhere I am.
I prefer maps like 73rd Easting any day of the week.

The reason i really like Urban Siege is purely for the Helicopters and the Rooftops. Have spent hours being buzzed around by Cdr, dropping off capturing a point then moving on.

Granted if you are on foot you are a big buggered. But there are more then enough Choppers to keep everyone airborne

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Throddy!

You should come and play with me and DMW. We'll show ya how to tackle Urban Siege. Buzzing around in the littlebird.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Embattle said:
We've heard about you two :p
You can come and fly with us aswell.

It's only a 2 seater tho.......

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well I'm not sitting on the stick ;)

Just played Urban and its an interesting map, although it did seem to lag a far amount when I was on it.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Embattle said:
Well I'm not sitting on the stick ;)

Just played Urban and its an interesting map, although it did seem to lag a far amount when I was on it.

There's a bug to do with the new Nimitz aircraft carrier. If someone is 'piloting' it the whole map lags to buggery. Might just have been 'cos someone had grounded it that time though. It's a little laggy otherwise, but still playable on my Athlon XP 1600+@1.4GHz and gf4ti4800.

-Ath, still looking to upgrade sometime in 2004 mind.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah I noticed the Nimitz aircraft carrier parked in the desert at times :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom