Dell Xps 1710

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Any views on this laptop? 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 160GB 7200, 17", 1950 GTX 512MB -

I've seen what it can do, but I also know its coming upto its 1st year - So, main question is -

Should I buy this now? Or wait till DELL release the 8800 models? Is there such a big difference between these two that warrants waiting for it? Everything is more than likely going to stay the same, maybe DELL will use santa rosa + 8800, thing is I don't want to waste £1300 on a laptop without looking into this as it's gonna be a desktop replacement for atleast 2 - 3 years.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Wait for the 8 series ones

At present, the XPS 1710's havn't changed that much over the last 12 months really.

Still, they're incredibly nice regardless.

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
there are better machines out there. look at toshiba or hp. hp more so. dell have really let the ball slip in all departments.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
id wait a month if you can. the cpu and fx card prices dropp have taken place and that should pass on the the laptop quite quick

but i'd have a shop around there loads of laptop companies building for gamers(am assumption made as your spending 1300 and talking about the fx)
and yes there a lot of difference in the two cards

a few other place for you to try
rock performance gaming laptops and notebooks xtreme 64 being vvvv good but over your price range irc
Alienware High-Performance Notebooks, PCs & Workstations

asus G series are supposed to be quite good

as others have said toshiba arent bad for general laptops there satallite pro range can handle games such as wow daoc ect and if you upgarde the ram and fx card they are a nice base from which to start but they can get quite warm if used to play for a long time

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
there are better machines out there. look at toshiba or hp. hp more so. dell have really let the ball slip in all departments.

Seems to be the fotm saying, never had a problem with dells myself and the XPS kick arse, wait for a newer model though if one is inc.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH

hp may be a decent machine, but its the support that lets them down, shocking support in fact.

Dell are worth the money and the machines are still pretty decent, rock and alienware are good.

I used a Dell X1710 here at work, its brilliant and far better than some of the Lenovo and IBM kit I used to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom