Dell figured out how to shift more Alienware laptops

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Comparing the price and components to the XPS line Alienware laptops can actually come out on top in Value.

Was not that way just a few months ago as I recall, for one the options of graphics cards on XPS laptops appears to have been nerfed.

I cannot decide if its a shrewd or a dick move by Dell.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
theres a new range of AW lappys coming out soonish i think. the R3s are dropping in price and the M11x is being axed alltogether which is a shame i owned a R1 M11x till recently and it was brilliant little lappy for gaming. m11x r3 at the outlet are getting snapped very quickly atm

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
ASUS RoG G75 range is still better bang for the buck IMHO at 1200 USD retail it ic cheaper as well than the equivalent Alienware machine. Plus you don't have to wait 2 months to get it built and shipped!

Dell & XPS, I will touch another one. Had one that was in the repair centre for more of the warranty than I actually got use of. Continual Mobo and graphics card issues. The last time it went in the quote was more than the original price of the laptop. They would not even extend the warranty for time they had it. The second one I had was equally as bad but a different slimline model purchased for my Mrs to use. Never again Dell, twice bitten won't get another chance.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I've had an xps pc for just over 3 years and an xps laptop for 18 months and never had a proboem with either, been pretty pleased with the performance of both.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I've had an xps pc for just over 3 years and an xps laptop for 18 months and never had a proboem with either, been pretty pleased with the performance of both.

Guess I had two Friday afternoon builds :) I'm using on my second Asus RoG, first was the G73 now the G75 purchased two weeks ago, great laptops both of them.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I wouldn't bet on it being a friday afternoon build. My (very) expensive Dell desktop died back in 2006 and when I looked into getting it repaired I found out that the mobo , graphics card and PSU were all fucked, they refused to repair it under warranty - I just never got it repaired - had two macs and a windows laptop spare at the time.

Last year I thought I'd give them a go for an M-Series laptop for my step son's birthday... bought it from tesco (It was actually specced exactly as I wanted it anyway), specifically asked for a gift receipt as I purchased it about 6 weeks before his birthday... not ten days after his birthday the HDD died, running through some diagnostics it was perplexing - sudden motion sensor hadn't been triggered so not dropped, nothing via SMART. anyway. as I had the gift receipt I initially took it back to tesco wanting a straight swap - didn't get anywhere, ran into this officious electronics department manager who refused to honour the gift receipt as she couldn't make out the signature on it... later twatted tesco via trading standards and ended up getting £250 giftcard as compensation, but that's by the by.... had to go back to dell for a repair and with about 6 hours arguing on the phone managed to convince them to send an engineer to the house to fix it.

long story short, in the last year that laptop has now been repaired 5 times, all of which included replacing the HDD, despite the upgrade to onsite maintenance it' had to go back to the factory twice. It's now dead again. as dell have refused to repair it again I pulled it apart myself to have a butchers the other day - and found what looks like a lump of dried birdshit stuck all over the mobo... and there's absolutely no way it could have gotten there with the laptop assembled, i.e. it got there at some point while a dell engineer had the laptop open, either at my home or in the factory.

unimpressed isn't the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom