Dell 2407WFP

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Dudes.

Does anyone have one of these? Basically enquiring as to everyones opinion of them. As far as I'm aware its one of the best 24 inch panels going. Supporting 1080p and lower. It's the smallest ps3 compatible screen you can get that does 1080p to my knowledge.

Quite pricey, about £600 but still, uber :)

Anyone any 2 cents?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:
Dudes.

Does anyone have one of these? Basically enquiring as to everyones opinion of them. As far as I'm aware its one of the best 24 inch panels going. Supporting 1080p and lower. It's the smallest ps3 compatible screen you can get that does 1080p to my knowledge.

Quite pricey, about £600 but still, uber :)

Anyone any 2 cents?

You can get a 32" LCD HD TV for £600, why not get one instead?

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Szape said:
With 1080p support?

No, you cant :)

The dell comes in handy anyhow as its decently portable. The idea is i'll have the dell in my room and leave the large screen downstairs for when more than 1 person is on the console.

A 24" screen is more than enough for my room.

Oh and I can get a 32 inch hd lcdtv for £400 if i want :p But I don't.

Oh and look at it, its beautiful :)

http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/408880-A.jpg

Full product specs:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=408880

Anyway, any opinions?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It has banding issues if you end up with the wrong firmware version;
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/dell_2xx7wfp_2.htm

so make sure you get the newer A02 and onwards, if not send it back

If you are serious on spending that sort of money i also suggest you look at the Samsung SM-244T:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2006/03/28/Samsung-SyncMaster-244T/p1
Which doesnt have the disadvantage of the dell using colour compression

But to be frank you dont even see the difference unless it is in Photos and Images, and even then you got to be looking for it to notice (or if you use photoshop alot).

Me personally, i would go with the Samsung if you do photo editing and want a more detailed image and such, the Dell if you plan to play games (altho you wont really notice the 2ms difference, for hardcore gamers it makes a diff).
On a side note the dell wouldnt recognise my Ixus 60 digi-cam on the pc when plugged into the USB port on the side, i havent had the time to investigate why yet

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-038-SA
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=421253

Side by side:
Samsung:
- 1920 x 1200 Optimum Resolution
- 1000:1 Contrast Ratio
- Viewing Angle 178° horizontal, 178° vertical
- 16ms Response Time
- 400 cd/m2 Brightness
- One Analogue Input
- One DVI-D Input
- 3 Years On-Site Warranty

Dell
- 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA+) Optimum Resolution
- 16.7 Million Colours
- 1000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 6ms Response Time
- 450 cd/m2 Brightness
- One DVI-D Input w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
- Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
- Integrated powered 9-in-2 Card Reader

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I need HDCP and 1080p due to my ps3.

Also as i'm looking to connect 360, pc and ps3 at once the component connection comes in handy.

The reason i chose the dell was due to the connectivity options and the attractive warranty (4 years next working day exchange if bought with overclockers)

Hmm the usb hub is meant to be powered so thats odd.

I read about the colour banding and im getting a A03 from ocuk from what i recall.

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
the main problem with that dell and similar screens is input lag which makes playing fps-games with pc a pain in the arse. probably awesome for consoles though.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Szape said:
the main problem with that dell and similar screens is input lag which makes playing fps-games with pc a pain in the arse. probably awesome for consoles though.

really? seeing as I have the 2407 dell, and play bf2142 all day long on it and it rocks tbh.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
TdC said:
really? seeing as I have the 2407 dell, and play bf2142 all day long on it and it rocks tbh.
thats actually quite a silly comment, because you would be oblivious to the difference unless you had it sitting next to another monitor.
If you had a CRT next to it for example you would see a very noticable difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuV_-hsau0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLlKrlkp9M&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2OE6hSh00&mode=related&search=

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ah, but comparing a TFT to a CRT is a silly thing to do in itself imo. It's like comparing apples and oranges tbh. I had another TFT sitting next to the Dell for a month, and other than the Dell being a wide screen there was no noticeable difference that I could see, but when I switched from my CRT to the previous TFT you bet I noticed a change.

tbh I thought that this discussion was about why he should get the Dell, not why a CRT is better than a TFT.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
CRT isn't an option. If it was i'd never of given away my iiyama VM 514.

Some say the Sammy 244T (Think thats right) is a better screen but has less inputs and costs more.

I'll be ordering my Dell next week hopefully. I hope i'll be getting £1800 through from somewhere so ;)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
TdC said:
ah, but comparing a TFT to a CRT is a silly thing to do in itself imo. It's like comparing apples and oranges tbh. I had another TFT sitting next to the Dell for a month, and other than the Dell being a wide screen there was no noticeable difference that I could see, but when I switched from my CRT to the previous TFT you bet I noticed a change.

tbh I thought that this discussion was about why he should get the Dell, not why a CRT is better than a TFT.
the point was that you wont be able to tell the difference even between TFT and CRT if you are only looking at one, despite it being obvious when they are next to each other.
Now on tft's the difference between 16ms and 8ms for example is not visible unless you have them side by side, so unless you were viewing both you cant with any real conviction say one way or the other

I am not saying you are wrong, but at the same time im not saying you are right either.
I have the Dell because i bought it cheap and cant say i notice a difference but doesnt mean there isnt a noticable one

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Samsung just announced new versions of their 19, 24, 26 inch range.

The 245T has 3000:1 contrast ratio compared with the 1000:1 of the old screens.

Not out until March though

Shame i doubt ill be waiting :p

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
this is one of the things you need to be aware of to notice it i suppose (or who knows, maybe they have fixed this "feature" in newer models); like (i highly recommend not to check spoilers ;P)
watching PAL-tv (25fps)
happily untill someone mentions
that the picture is laggy
if you pay attention on it
which you will say isn't true
but will notice soonish that he is right about it
and you can't stand watching laggy tv anymore.

BenQ FP241W Z comes with D-Sub/DVI-D/S-Video/Composite/Component/HDMI and overall it has got good reviews but i haven't noticed any mentions of input lag or of the lack of it.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:
I need HDCP and 1080p due to my ps3.

Do you need this for the PS3 or just want it? like will the PS3 not run on anything else? whats the advantage? You've got me curious now as i am waiting for a PS3 and I don't have this spec TFT.

Gamah

Banned
Mojo said:
Do you need this for the PS3 or just want it? like will the PS3 not run on anything else? whats the advantage? You've got me curious now as i am waiting for a PS3 and I don't have this spec TFT.

He wants it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Mojo said:
afaik a ps3 only runs at 780p but its also for a xbox 360 i think,
its worthwhile if they upgrade it in the future tho

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
It might be worthwhile to check into the various return policies for dead pixels before you decide to buy.

Samsung is harsher than Dell and HP (those being the ones I checked before I purchased my new screen.) Seeing as both Dell and Samsung didn't carry the 92% Gamut screens and I don't care for other inputs that DVI, I went for the HP. :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Naffets said:
The dell comes in handy anyhow as its decently portable.

its for a desktop PC isnt it? why does it have to be portable? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom