Deleted Threads

A

Ash!

Whats with deleted Threads ?

I started a thread today about the situation surrounding Prince Charles and the cover story going arond the press. Not been on the forums for a few hours and low and behold it has been deleted. Not that this is the first time either.

The last one delted was regarding cigarette advertising. At no time have I recd any warning from game or from admins. I dont deliberatly go out and flame people. I enjoy coming on here for the debates that can be somewhat lively. I try and make sure that I dont offend people with my opinion. I also try and make sure that I keep within the Code of Conduct. If nobody wants to join in with any threads I start, thats fine, they dont have to make any comments or reply. Thats their choice

To be quite frank I don't think it is on to delte posts just because Game consider it controversial. Maybe what was once considered free speech on the internet is only free when it doesnt bring the good corporate name of Game into disrepute. Any of the admins care to comment please feel free :(

W

Will

Originally posted by Ash!
To be quite frank I don't think it is on to delte posts just because Game consider it controversial. Maybe what was once considered free speech on the internet is only free when it doesnt bring the good corporate name of Game into disrepute. Any of the admins care to comment please feel free :(
Well, it wasn't me, but GAME allowing a discussion about the Charles allegations wasn't likely to last for long. If someone guessed correctly, or if somebody knew and posted what had happened, them GAME would be open to libel, since these boards are hosted in the UK. Since I don't think any of the admins know the allegations (two of us are Scottish, we don't even know the names of most of the royals), safest thing was to delete the thread.

I picked the quote I picked because at the end of the day, GAME are legally responsible for the content here. Its not about bringing the name into disrepute, its about a (maybe) loss-making part of the company getting sued into the ground.

C

Clowneh!

To be quite frank I don't think it is on to delte posts just because Game consider it controversial.
They can do what they want, can't they? It's their site.

A

Ash!

Re: Re: Deleted Threads

Originally posted by Will

I picked the quote I picked because at the end of the day, GAME are legally responsible for the content here. Its not about bringing the name into disrepute, its about a (maybe) loss-making part of the company getting sued into the ground.

Will

I can say in all honesty that I agree. Nobody would want to see GAME get sued. However One of the main reasons that some of the regulars have stopped posting is because of the lack of lively vibrant debate that was on here some months ago.

Because of the Code of Conduct and Game being scared of potential litigation then what I considered to be a decent thread has been delted. To start with the question I asked was for peoples opinions and views. Not for them to state fact albeit spurious lies.

I can understand your comments and maybe they are reflective of other admins or Game. However I cant agree with it. I feel that is has been a rather rash knee jerk reaction.

I work for a large blue chip company and they are the second largest company in the world in their field of business. They were at no more or less of a risk from litigation than what game are because of my comments. This is because I used the companys asset i.e PC to pass on my comments. The way they manage it is by having a disclaimer on all emails and web page and part of the I.M. poicy that individual comments are not reflective nor indicative of the company. If Game were to adopt that attitude and quite frankly legitimate legal stand point then maybe wouldnt be so quick to start deleting posts

W

Will

Re: Re: Re: Deleted Threads

I can understand your comments and maybe they are reflective of other admins or Game. However I cant agree with it. I feel that is has been a rather rash knee jerk reaction.
I don't know if you read it, but it really wasn't a decent thread. There was lots of pretty poor innuendo. It could have been a decent discussion, but it wasn't.

Forum hosts are technically publishers in the eyes of the law. It is different from email, and a disclaimer is not going to send it under the legal radar. That would be like a newspaper publishing the story and disclaiming it as the work of the journalist, nothing to do with them.

I'm just stating my views on why it was probably deleted. I let it pass by, as did Damini. Things like that we tend to leave for the paid moderators. And if I do delete or edit, I send a PM to the thread starter or the poster concerned.

A

Ash!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Deleted Threads

I don't know if you read it, but it really wasn't a decent thread. There was lots of pretty poor innuendo. It could have been a decent discussion, but it wasn't.

I finished reading it after about 4 or 5 posts as I had to leave the office. Maybe my reaction has also been a bit rash. Its just annoying when posts get closed without an explenation.

R

rynnor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Deleted Threads

Forum hosts are technically publishers in the eyes of the law. It is different from email, and a disclaimer is not going to send it under the legal radar. That would be like a newspaper publishing the story and disclaiming it as the work of the journalist, nothing to do with them.

They would be deemed to be repeating a libel (although if it was proven to be true on the balance of probabilities then that would be a complete defence).

I'm glad I spotted this thread since I was about to start a thread on it - it must be said that even the BBC site is discussing the situation - as long as nobody repeats the allegations they are safe.

On that note I thought the palace was extremely ill advised to issue a rebuff to allegations that were under an injunction - it must be getting close to the point where the injunction gets lifted due to plaintiff's publication of the allegations?

Why fuel peoples interest in situation by offering more clues???

Its all over europe by the way...

M

mr.Blacky

No it isn't most people in Europe just don't care :p
Had to hear it from Yoni.

E

Embattle

Don't think too many people here care that much tbh :)

D

Damini

I did post in the thread saying it was on dangerous ground and to not be suprised if it disappears - to start a thread about a subject that other media sources are being threatened with legal action for discussing is just asking for trouble really. You can't blame Game for wanting to err on the side of safety.

T

Tom

Game.net would not be sued for libel. If somebody were to sue, it would be the poster who would be sued, and not the forum hosting that post.

Since anybody who sues for libel can only receive damages off the person being sued (and cannot recover their own legal costs), they would get fuck all from here, because nobody here has anything worth suing for.

So basically, nobody has anything to worry about. Its all just speculation, and the true story will worm its way out sooner or later.

T

Tom

Anyway, just go get some Chicken Noodle type news.

B

bigfoot

I deleted it because it was degenerating into ridiculously stupid realms that were also not the kind of posts we want on the site (graphic sexual practices). There is a difference between lively debate and posting completely inappropriate messages.

I deleted the free leggy thread for similar reasons and it also is redundant, leggy has the option to come back on Monday and it is his decision. I don't care who you are but if you come on here and act like the village idiot you will be treated accordingly.

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Tom
Game.net would not be sued for libel. If somebody were to sue, it would be the poster who would be sued, and not the forum hosting that post.

Since anybody who sues for libel can only receive damages off the person being sued (and cannot recover their own legal costs), they would get fuck all from here, because nobody here has anything worth suing for.

So basically, nobody has anything to worry about. Its all just speculation, and the true story will worm its way out sooner or later.

Actually, Game.net could be sued. There's been a test case in the UK a while back (I forget what it was about exactly), in which a man sued the owners of a message board for libel after someone posted something about him on their message boards. He won.

To find a person on a message board and sue them individually would be near on impossible (obviously Game.net have the names and addresses of many of the people on this forum, but I doubt they would be allowed to hand them over), thus someone in a case for libel needs to be sued - the message board owners.

T

Tom

And do you really, REALLY think that would ever happen? All of a sudden, the newspapers would be full of it, everyone would go and look, and whoo hoo the cat is totally out of the bag.

It would never happen, only rich people sue for libel, and then only when the story is out. I could tell you all now which premiership team is involved in the hotel rape case, and would I get sued? No.

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Tom
And do you really, REALLY think that would ever happen? All of a sudden, the newspapers would be full of it, everyone would go and look, and whoo hoo the cat is totally out of the bag.

It would never happen, only rich people sue for libel, and then only when the story is out. I could tell you all now which premiership team is involved in the hotel rape case, and would I get sued? No.

I merely pointed out that Game.net could be sued for libel, and not the forum poster.

It's roughly the same principle thats behind suing a company for an employees negligence.

I didn't say anything about that if some information is posted that the person would be sued. I'm just informing you that what you said was inaccurate.

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by bigfoot
I deleted it because it was degenerating into ridiculously stupid realms that were also not the kind of posts we want on the site (graphic sexual practices). There is a difference between lively debate and posting completely inappropriate messages.

But that's the thing. Loads of threads "degenerate" into "ridiculously stupid realms" of "completely inappropriate messages".

Maybe a sticky linking to IRC?

T

Tom

Originally posted by Cdr
I didn't say anything about that if some information is posted that the person would be sued. I'm just informing you that what you said was inaccurate.

And what I'm trying to say is that the chances of anyone being sued for posting this info, are virtually none. You've got more chance of being hit by lightning.

M

mr.Blacky

Ah but Cdr has been hit twice by lighting :p

A

Ash!

Originally posted by bigfoot

BF

Not that I knew that. As I said I stopped looking after 4 or threads. What does disturb me is the fact you could delete a post because you think it is in bad taste or you think that that the content is inappropriate. Whrereas Damini and Will didnt. It's the fact that there dosent appear to be any consistency at all. Its alright saying these are our rules and this is what bind us but if you all dont stick to them then what are they worth ????

I mean Damini and Will have had opportunity to delete it and they didnt. All I would say is dont judge people by your own standards. What maybe innapropriate to you maybe appropriate to somebody else. Alas we will never know as the post has been delted.

D

Delboy

I was looking forward to checking the Royalty thread and it was gone.

Basically, if you want an interesting discussion on intrigue/speculation in the media go elsewhere folks.......

B

bigfoot

You could have had an interesting discussion about the media, but that wasn't what happened to thread, it became more about who could post the most depraved sexual act and get away with it.

D

Delboy

Jings, that's a shame. (laughs)

I can imagine some of the shit posted, some of it I prolly couldnt.

Users who are viewing this thread