Delaying release, how long is too long?

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Seen a lot of websites toting Q4 2008 as expected release date...now im sure no-one here knows for certain if this is accurate, prolly EA don't even know yet, but it seems a long, long way off for a game most were initially expecting to have been released some time ago.

I'm a big advocate of dev teams getting things right before release and delaying a game to get it fixed, rather than rush a broken version out to the general public (helooooo SWG!!), but a game in beta for such a long time is surely going to suffer when released by being almost 2 years outdated from the off?

Do dev teams develop the game engine as they increase the beta testing period, or is it the same basic engine they devised some 2 years prior to release?

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
Well making the 'complete' MMO is near impossibile, very few MMOs if any have actally release with all intended content, even less resently, in fact most havn't been 'complete' till a good 6 months after release.. If delays happen delays happen..

Plus wasn't AoC due out late 2006?

Oh on the engine front i've seen a lot of then 'evole' during the beta and even futher post (EvE and LOTRO good examples of good evolotions), so unless you've been in WAR's beta since the start we can only guess

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
Seen a lot of websites toting Q4 2008 as expected release date...
a good guess, i think it will be Q4 or late Q3

And yes i'm in beta but also speculating for us when it comes to release date. Guild beta hasn't started yet and that will also take a little while. Then open beta for a bit to come finally to release. It'll be under the christmas tree !!! :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Is using a slightly older engine really that bad? If you're aiming for a mass market MMORPG then it'll need to be playable on low spec PCs without that much RAM and a weak graphics card. The important thing is playability - it still needs to look good, but the thing which keeps you coming back is immersion.

My only concern is that all the hype was in summer last year at Leipzig and Games Day in Birmingham. They'll have to build up the hype machine yet again for the late 2008 release.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
where do you get 2 years?

Thought they'd only postponed it twice - each time by 3 months, no?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Ship date for the Pre Orders is late Sept. Are you saying there are new delays which will push this further back?

DanteTheReaper

Fledgling Freddie
i have release dates from June this year, actually 38 days to be precise. The last newsletter said august/ september this year, so Q4 isnt actually a delay, its 'on-time'?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Seen a lot of websites toting Q4 2008 as expected release date...now im sure no-one here knows for certain if this is accurate, prolly EA don't even know yet, but it seems a long, long way off for a game most were initially expecting to have been released some time ago.

I'm a big advocate of dev teams getting things right before release and delaying a game to get it fixed, rather than rush a broken version out to the general public (helooooo SWG!!), but a game in beta for such a long time is surely going to suffer when released by being almost 2 years outdated from the off?

Do dev teams develop the game engine as they increase the beta testing period, or is it the same basic engine they devised some 2 years prior to release?

Even with their delays (due to being bought out by EA they have been able to improve the game due to their vast power/funds), plus the fact they made lots of changes from the Beta, it's still being developed much faster than almost every other mmo out there.

Your "surely going to suffer" comment is bollocks. Who do you know who refuses to play games because they come out a little later than hoped? Also so what if some elitist idiots refuse to play the game. 90% of those chumps will still play the game, they just like to be arseholes.

Look at the success of WoW, 8 million players....I think Warhammer Online will pull in ALOT of people, also it will steal all the Warhammer tabletop players from other games. I think they can live without a few elitist gimps.

p.s. No I am not calling you an elitist noob or anything like that.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Have to agree with Bahumat here..... people are still going to play this no matter how its delayed.... sure people will have a dabble in Aoc (myself inclued) but thats simply to give me my MMO fix until WAR where no other MMO will even come close.

Yeah I was dissapointed when it was put back but its good they are trying to make sure this game is as good as possible and that EA are not applying pressure to release this.... these are all good signs, so I'm in agreement that they are doing a good thing by holding back.

With that said however I also agree that no matter how much anyone tries its impossible to release a 100% complete MMO (with regards to content and features and 100% balance between classes etc etc)...... releasing one with very few bugs and problems however is a different case, making sure there are no major issues and problems with the game...... this is what will make the difference at release and this is what Mythic are doing right now.

Open beta will not be all that long away (September is 5 months away) and i reckon they will need a minimum of a months stress testing.... maybe two so we should be able to get our fix soon with open beta. Thats of course if were not invited before that because they've stated they will be inviting a lot more people very soon.... I'm hoping for one as I've just built a new PC!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I do know games companies tweak their game engines as it's a way they can reduce the system spec required to play it.
There are parts which I believe have not even been finished yet. I remember something about lighting and light sources etc. This leads me to believe they do improve the development of the game engine.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
You shouldn't rush an artist.

A touch dramatic but I agree in principal with what you say, this should not be rushed and made as good as it can be before being released!

Maybe Guiness is a better example?? 'Good things come to those who wait'

:drink:

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
Is using a slightly older engine really that bad? If you're aiming for a mass market MMORPG then it'll need to be playable on low spec PCs without that much RAM and a weak graphics card. The important thing is playability - it still needs to look good, but the thing which keeps you coming back is immersion.

I heard AoC was pretty hard on low spec pc's. WAR however seems good that way(looking at my poor machine).

Requiel, if u're reading this, whats the min requirements u are aiming at?

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
You will need a computer running Windows and an internet connection. No other details are announced just yet.

Minimum and recommended specs will be released closer to live launch.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
You will need a computer running Windows and an internet connection. No other details are announced just yet.

NOOO!!! I am running Linux and only have a fax connection :(

Enli

Fledgling Freddie

as long as vista aint required :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
id rather wait a long time for a more complete game than a game full of errors or missing important parts of the gameplay! (ala SWG back when it was rushed through thus requiring a massive re-vamp :p )

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
where do you get 2 years?

Thought they'd only postponed it twice - each time by 3 months, no?

Talking about the time between when the build began and the game is released, my question is do the development team update the game engine when a game is delayed for an extended period, or continue with the original?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture

butwtfmylinuxthen!!?!?!?!11one

oh well guess i need to game at work now then...so horrible :(

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
butwtfmylinuxthen!!?!?!?!11one

oh well guess i need to game at work now then...so horrible :(
is ur HD to small for a second partition or did u become a noob again due to much real life ? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom