Help Degree advice!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am starting computing and IT degree (possibly with a 2nd subject) with the OU soon. Its a pretty broad degree subject wise and I can pick and chose a couple of modules. At the moment I think I am going to aim at software rather than networking and if I do a 2nd subject it would likely be business.

I want to get as prepared as possible to give myself a head start between now and October when I start the degree. Hardware wise I am reasonably comfortable as a home user, I build, maintain and problem solve on my own high end PC and am usually the person friends come to first with PC problems. I also help the IT guy out at work with general MS issues, he is there 2 days a week and when not there I sort shit out with his remote assistance if necessary.

What I am after is some good self teaching Java courses and maybe some sort of Linux for noobs (or a good version of Linux to start fiddling with). Has anyone self taught Linux? Free would be great! but cheap would do!

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I have sort of self taught Linux. Not to the point where i can troubleshoot without heavy use of Google, but well enough for everyday use. I just jumped in at the deep end and installed Ubuntu 10.4 and used it as my home server. Set up ftp server, torrent bot, lots of automation and secure access.

As for your studies, business is a good 2nd subject. If you like security and law that's a good combination too i think (computer security and law).

Why do you want to learn Java?

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Btw, I just used the official ubuntu forums to learn what i needed, no courses or books or stuff like that.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
i agree with Lakih, you shouldn't need to buy too much documentation linux wise. I know when I dabbled a while ago and built a nagios server from scratch I again just "self taught" and used the forums and google to fill in any gaps.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yep askubuntu.com has answered pretty much every single Ubuntu question I've had so far.

I don't know much about online courses other than Lynda.com (and Digital Tutors, but that's not really relevant). Lynda.com do a Java course. You could always buy a book. I find that a much more satisfactory way of learning a language.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Joe2pro video and training packages are decent for Java, MySQL and other IT general stuff. Got stacks of their stuff saved to drive. Will look to see what Java type stuff I have and pm you

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I am starting computing and IT degree (possibly with a 2nd subject) with the OU soon. Its a pretty broad degree subject wise and I can pick and chose a couple of modules.

How you funding it - a mate is doing one through the OU and work's paying for his - it's pretty expensive IIRC. What are your objectives? I.E. what do you want to get out of it/do with it?

:)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'd stick to Celsius, Fahrenheit is for the colonies.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
How you funding it - a mate is doing one through the OU and work's paying for his - it's pretty expensive IIRC. What are your objectives? I.E. what do you want to get out of it/do with it?

:)

Hopefully by Student loan. Work wont pay for it and tbh I don't fancy being here for 6 years more! Jobwise not overly sure, something I need to think about before I pick my optional modules.

Reason for Java is that is seems a good place to start, I haven't coded since C on the Spectrum.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hopefully by Student loan. Work wont pay for it and tbh I don't fancy being here for 6 years more!

Well, if your degree is a stepping stone to getting out of your current job situation and into an IT field in particular I'd have a look and think about what you're interested in as there may be vocational training (Microsoft Certs/specific software development courses etc.) that may be more suited to what you're after than a degree.

But if you're doing it for fun then knock yourself out :)

gohan

FH is my second home
Fuck OU. Get student funding and become a bum at real uni!!!! It's aces!!

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
You seem pretty sure that it's programming you want, but i gotta ask, are you sure that's what you want, or you're just following the hype that programming and coding in general pays better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom