Decent virus scanner

Gins

Loyal Freddie
Anyone know where i could DL a decent virus/trojan scanner?

I'm getting terrible popups, programs shutting down randomly, unknown programs starting to run whenever they want... the works

i've been searching the web for a few seconds now and found a few i would't mind paying for, but whats the majority here using?
Not looking for one of those "free downloads" missing 99% of the goodies, however the free complete package is a big plus.

Rep's and eternal glory to be won!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I use Avast! which is loads better than AVG. Defo 'Search and Destroy' for spyware though, that program has saved my arse a few times.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Been using S&D for a few years now, never bitten me in the ass.
I use 'Trend' (Not free, and wouldn't recomend it) as it's a okay anti-virus.

Honestly, if you're not doing anything dodgey, Windows Defender :)() and Search and Destroy are great... Hell, even "HiJack This" is useful (As long as you know what you're removing)

I never liked AVG personally.

eksdee

FH is my second home
i use nod32. well worth whatever it cost - was a while ago now! can't remember it being too expensive though. have to say avast! served me well for years on my old pc, but i decided seen as i was buying a new one early this year, i'd pay for the best i could (and i heard nod32 was the best value for money).

Overdriven

i use nod32. well worth whatever it cost - was a while ago now! can't remember it being too expensive though. have to say avast! served me well for years on my old pc, but i decided seen as i was buying a new one early this year, i'd pay for the best i could (and i heard nod32 was the best value for money).

I need to add on to what edsdee said, Nod32 is actually one of the better ones on the market, as it does what it says on the package... Of course, there are other non-free ones (Norton/McAfee) which slow your system down a bit (Most do) and they do work. I'd actually recommend this, as some of the other techies I speak to use this. Will most probably be the one I use when I do my next machine upgrade.

Generally you get what you pay for, but the free ones posted here (Atleast, some of them) are good, do work and are regularly updated.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Nod32 is very good, do they offer a 64bit version for Vista yet?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Recently got a virus or something on my pc too :(

Using spybot and AVG but despite scanning and removing everything it all just comes back instantly, starting to piss me off now.

Overdriven

Recently got a virus or something on my pc too :(

Using spybot and AVG but despite scanning and removing everything it all just comes back instantly, starting to piss me off now.

What happens exactly? Doesn't help if you don't give a description XD

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I use Avast! which is loads better than AVG. Defo 'Search and Destroy' for spyware though, that program has saved my arse a few times.

been using AVG for about 5 - 6 years now and never had a problem. sure it can be a tad over causious(sp?) sometimes, but i much rather have one alarm to many then one to few.

and you really dont have to do anything once its installed. inever do, i just install and press update and then leave it alone.

i normaly find that its when ppl mess around with the settings that all the problems start ;)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
What happens exactly? Doesn't help if you don't give a description XD

Often get internetexplorer popping up with random websites (i use firefox) and my computers running slower since theres shitloads of random applications running if i use task manager. I close them down but half the time they restart themselves.

Overdriven

Merijn.org

Checks what's running there (Log) and post it in tech help. Anything that looks like it shouldn't be running, tick and remove (Be VERY careful doing this) - You can also do it this way:

Start
Run
'msconfig'
Startup Tab
uncheck anything you think shouldn't be there (e.g. be very careful with this too) so they won't open when you start yer machine.

Hmm.. Not good without knowing what you run/what comes up =<

EDIT:

Or get a free trial for any anti-virus, run it - quarentine them, then do naughty things to the software.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Currently using NAV and Spybot
No viruses or any malware whatsoever with that combo

But then again I don't spend 15 hours a day on dodgy pron sites like most of FH do

:flame:;):)

liloe

It's my birthday today!

Indeed, also Avast! is one of the few 64bit scanners.

Give DAoC for MacOS and I won't need a Virus Scanner any longer, lol ^^

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I dont use anything... and I dont have any viruses or malwear!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
He's already got enough viruses in the form of STDs, he doesnt want to know about any more on his pc

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Another NOD32 user here

I use it at work and at home its pretty damn good, the big AV packages update every other day NOD32 updates as and when it needs to, sometimes as many as 8 times a day. It has won award after award and blows most other vendors out of the water.

It's not the easiest to administer across a large network but it does what it says on the tin.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
i use NOD32, seems pretty solid, updates ALOT and seems to use a fairly small amount of resources.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Currently using NAV and Spybot
No viruses or any malware whatsoever with that combo

But then again I don't spend 15 hours a day on dodgy pron sites like most of FH do

:flame:;):)

You're using Norton for christs sake, uninstall and find something else.

Norton = over bloated piece of crap.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My mate pre-loaded Norton on this computer and haven't been arsed to swap it. My laptop's got F-secure, which is excellent. Agree, NAV is the biggest resource hog in the world and isn't actually as good as many others.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Virusscanner/Firewall: Kaspersky Internet Security

Spyware/Malware scanner:Hitman Pro

and most importantly...
Common Sense.

Haven't had a virus or anything in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom