Decent cable/adsl/isdn in glasgow?

O

oblivion_6

anyone know of any good high seed connections i can get

ive seen aol broadband and i can get that is it any good does anyone here use it?

cheers

W

Will

In Glasgow, you should be able to get an NTL cable modem, unless you are lucky enough to live in Barrhead, where you can get Blueyonder instead.

O

oblivion_6

ah i cant get NTL i live in the west end and my flat is a listed building so they cant add NTL

its a pile of mince, i think AOL or BT are my only choices but i dunno what ones best

C

.Cask

If you can get ADSL then there should be a whole bunch of ISP's available.

I would rate AOL and BT as 2 of the poorest ADSL ISP's. AOL being overpriced, and BT being.... well, just being BT.

Here's a list: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broad1.shtml

W

Will

Originally posted by oblivion_6
ah i cant get NTL i live in the west end and my flat is a listed building so they cant add NTL

its a pile of mince, i think AOL or BT are my only choices but i dunno what ones best
Ooo, listed building in the West End, you'll be a student then.;)

Where are you staying? I'm a former resident of the West End, and other bits of Glasgow.

ADSL, most people I know have recommended Nildram as a good ISP, I don't have a lot of experience with any ADSL suppliers, I've been cable only for several years.

O

oblivion_6

Yip i am a student, well i was until a month or two ago and im still stuck in my dodgy bedsit ;)

I stay in kelvinbridge just off Gt Western Road, very student focused area lol

Ive just checked out Clara, BT and Freeserve and all the gits arent able to give me broadband. I wonder why AOL can but they cant?

W

Will

I know just where you are, I used to live on Byres Road, that flash new block next to the library...except it was a former council-owned block of police flats at the time.

And if AOL can offer you ADSL, then any other company should be able to. One or other company is telling porkie pies.

O

oblivion_6

ah yeah i know where u are mate those new flats are a bit plusher than the old ones ;)

I just confiremed with AOL there on the phone and they still say they can do it??? Very strange indeed

O

oblivion_6

wow they are cheap!!! :)

are they any good mate?

they say they can do it

W

Will

Heh, do know I work for Telewest/Blueyonder? We do Barrhead for sure, only 0141 area we supply to.

C

.Cask

I never had Eclipse for ADSL but they came 3rd on the ISPreview readers chart.

Good things are that they are cheap and I believe you sign up for a 1month contract so if you don't like em you can change pretty quickly.

I went for Nildram in the end cos I heard the pings were better but I definately would have gone for Eclipse if not for that.

O

oblivion_6

Cheers guys i think ill go for eclipse when the ol pay cheque comes in

Looks like they are the best value and service and this Fujitsi modem they use gets rave reviews

Maybe now ill be able to RvR in DAOC without stuttering like a teen on E ;)

C

.Cask

Is that Fujitsu modem USB?

For best performance I reckon you want to get a PCI modem. These usually give better pings then the USB and are often a bit cheaper.

Only advantage to USB is that it's quicker to set up. But once you've put in the PCI modem you'll never have to see it again, and in my experience they are less problematic.

E

Embattle

Yes but its always a USB Modem unless you take the business option.

C

.Cask

You don't have to buy the USB modem offered by Eclipse. It's optional, so I recommend shopping around for a cheap PCI modem.

E

Embattle

_Cask_ you're going off track...most the ADSL setups use a USB modem and tbh these devices are good enough.

Not that I care either way since my CM uses an NIC, which is still the best :p

N

Nozzer

Originally posted by Itcheh
Heh, do know I work for Telewest/Blueyonder? We do Barrhead for sure, only 0141 area we supply to.

:eek: Well it's both then, as I know several who live in Barrhead and are on NTL :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom