Debian 3.0 released

T

Testin da Cable

la reg tells us:
Debian now supports 11 processor architectures (adding IA64, PA-Risc, MIPS and S/390), and 3.0 is the first version to have cryptographic software integrated into the main distribution. OpenSSH and GNU Privacy Guard are included in the default installation, and strong encryption is now present in web browsers and web servers, and databases, and further integration of cryptographic software is planned for future releases

good stuff, I'll give it a shot. I'm really a slackware man myself ;)

W

Will

One of my mates is really into his Debian. As in dangerously obsessed.

I worry for him, nice though it is.

L

lecter

Debian has many virtues, but those are mainly server based ones, like the wonderful apt-get sw update package. However it is MUCH slower to adopt changes, for instance it STILL doesnt deem the 2.4.X series kernels stable. Debian 3 ships with KDE 2.2 as well when the latest ver is 3.1.

B

bids

I've found KDE 3 to be a bit flakey. Reverted to 2.2 on my Redhat and Mandrake machines, because of this.

S

Shocko

I've been meaning to switch to debian since January :/ My RH7.2 desktop is b0rked. I'm pondering whether i should:
a) Wait till i get both a job and with that Broadband - Do net install.
b) Attempt to download ISOs via 56k :(
c) Wait till linuxemporium.co.uk stocks 3.0 Cds - buy them

I think the donkey-effect situation applies here - No option appears any more appealing than the others, so i'll stay he debating the pros and cons of each, whilst running RH, for eternity :uhoh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom