Deathloop

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
This looks interesting. From Arkane Studios (Dishonored 1/2 and Prey), I think I heard about it a few years ago but it's out next week on PC and PS5.

You're stuck on an island in a time loop and to escape you need to kill 8 targets. Every time you die you go back to the start but you learn new things every time until you can do it all in one go.

A (probably better) explanation of the premise is in this video by the developer...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's and interesting idea. I will be keeping an eye on it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's and interesting idea. I will be keeping an eye on it.
When they do this in films they start cutting pieces out after you get the idea. If you can skip bits after a while maybe. But i can imagine if its a bit hard making a silly mistake and getting sent back to the beginning a bit frustrating.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
When they do this in films they start cutting pieces out after you get the idea. If you can skip bits after a while maybe. But i can imagine if its a bit hard making a silly mistake and getting sent back to the beginning a bit frustrating.

You should try Hades

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Yes sounds exactly like this film:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yes sounds exactly like this film:
Yup. Or ground hog day. Or any other film that uses this mechanic

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It looks to me as though it's not linier, so you aren't doing the same thing over and over, the more you do, the more you learn (and gain abilities etc)

Loved prey, such an underrated game, same with dishonoured, just couldn't get into dishonoured 2 though, I don't know why.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It looks to me as though it's not linier, so you aren't doing the same thing over and over, the more you do, the more you learn (and gain abilities etc)

Loved prey, such an underrated game, same with dishonoured, just couldn't get into dishonoured 2 though, I don't know why.
I liked and completed all 3 of them :). The original and the later prey :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Runs like shit apparently, I'll wait a little bit.

Gwadien

Gaming industry;

Pay £40 for broken game on release day.

Pay £20 for fixed game in 6 months.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, I took a punt and pre-ordered it because I was intrigued by the idea and because of Arkane's track record.

It doesn't run like shit and it definitely isn't broken. There's some micro-stuttering issue that's affecting some but it's apparently fixable (until it's actually fixed by the devs) by disabling v-sync and setting an fps cap. That seems to be the major complaint so far, there are a couple of reports of bugs/crashes but those seem to be very much edge cases. I've put 3 or 4 hours in so far and I've not had a single issue.

It's clearly a game that was made for the PS5, the menus etc absolutely scream "console port" but nowadays consoles are basically just PCs with fixed capabilities. I guess that's why the hardware requirements are higher than you'd think they should be, based on the style of the game - they spent the time making it run as well as they could on the PS5 and, for the PC, it's easier to state that it needs better hardware than it is to spend time optimising it.

As for the game itself, it's great so far. The time mechanic isn't nearly as "bad" as some people feared - you get 3 lives before the day resets, the day is split into 4 time periods (morning, noon, afternoon and evening) where you have infinite time to explore, any knowledge that you pick up along the way carries over when you reset and you can take weapons and upgrades with you as well. The AI seems to be a bit dumb but I'm hooked on the game overall.

IGN review says:
Despite its seemingly endless complexities, Deathloop is one of the most confidently designed games I’ve ever played. Arkane Studios has crafted a world made of ideas linked by meaningful connections; time influences space, space influences tactics, and tactics influence loadouts. Its unique, high-concept ideas around time loops and non-linear investigation work are implemented with elegance, making its systems feel effortless to navigate, learn from, and ultimately master. A new high watermark for Arkane and developers of similar games to aspire to, Deathloop is a game like no other.

Spoiler-free video review of the PC version:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Well, I took a punt and pre-ordered it because I was intrigued by the idea and because of Arkane's track record.

It doesn't run like shit and it definitely isn't broken. There's some micro-stuttering issue that's affecting some but it's apparently fixable (until it's actually fixed by the devs) by disabling v-sync and setting an fps cap. That seems to be the major complaint so far, there are a couple of reports of bugs/crashes but those seem to be very much edge cases. I've put 3 or 4 hours in so far and I've not had a single issue.

It's clearly a game that was made for the PS5, the menus etc absolutely scream "console port" but nowadays consoles are basically just PCs with fixed capabilities. I guess that's why the hardware requirements are higher than you'd think they should be, based on the style of the game - they spent the time making it run as well as they could on the PS5 and, for the PC, it's easier to state that it needs better hardware than it is to spend time optimising it.

As for the game itself, it's great so far. The time mechanic isn't nearly as "bad" as some people feared - you get 3 lives before the day resets, the day is split into 4 time periods (morning, noon, afternoon and evening) where you have infinite time to explore, any knowledge that you pick up along the way carries over when you reset and you can take weapons and upgrades with you as well. The AI seems to be a bit dumb but I'm hooked on the game overall.

IGN review says:

Spoiler-free video review of the PC version:

Good to know :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Was looking forward to it but now I've seen the actual gameplay it's going to be a hard pass :/ Even on a console.

I'll wait for something else!

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I've bought it but it's not arriving until tomorrow, and I know less than zero about the gameplay, I just got it based on Arkane being devs and I bloody loved Prey. At least I get to use the PS5 for more than PS4 games now!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Slow internet? :)

Yeah, I am a big Arkane fanboy, absolutely loved Prey.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Gaming industry;

Pay £40 for broken game on release day.

Pay £20 for fixed game in 6 months.

Console peeps and early birds subsidize it for rest of us :)

I have a switch for kids and ancient games are still full price its a nightmare tbh

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I used to buy games new when they were £35/£39.99 but £49.99 pushes the limit for me, so I will wait for them to be on sale. Especially when most triple A games are just plain bad these days.

Gwadien

I used to buy games new when they were £35/£39.99 but £49.99 pushes the limit for me, so I will wait for them to be on sale. Especially when most triple A games are just plain bad these days.

It's the nature of expansions/DLC that winds me up the most tbh - I'm sure Deathloop will be on sale for £20 and then release 'the rest of the game'.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Slow internet? :)

Yeah, I am a big Arkane fanboy, absolutely loved Prey.
I'm old fashioned and like to buy my console games as physical, and I managed to get this for £45 which (annoyingly) almost seems like a bargain for a new game these days haha.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
It's the nature of expansions/DLC that winds me up the most tbh - I'm sure Deathloop will be on sale for £20 and then release 'the rest of the game'.
I dunno, they didn't do that with Prey. Sure they had DLC but it was kinda tacked on wank that didn't really add anything to the game.

Gwadien

I dunno, they didn't do that with Prey. Sure they had DLC but it was kinda tacked on wank that didn't really add anything to the game.

But they did. :D

I think I picked Prey up for fuck all when the DLC came out.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter

But they did. :D

I think I picked Prey up for fuck all when the DLC came out.
Oh I know! My point was more that this wasn't like, cut story content or whatever and (imo) wasn't really worth bothering with haha. And hell it came out like a year after release, just seemed like an excuse for them to create some more Prey content :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom