Storage Dead NAS

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I've got a Buffalo NAS and during my recent house move, despite it being in its original box and polystyrene, it's gone bye bye. Google says it's a RAM, NIC or HDD controller error. SO bascially it's fucked. Now the drives are formatted in Linux and I'm aware that plugging them straight into my Windows machine will most likely wipe them. Does anyone know how I can get the data off of the drives as I REALLY don't want to lose it.

Cheers.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Cant you boot unbuntu from a disk image on your pc and get a hdd cage with usb and then copy stuff across?

not done it but i think the theory works

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'd say any Linux distro which offers a Live CD (boot from it without any installation) and one of these or something similar (unless you have SATA ports available in the PC then just use those but I'd disconnect all the Windows drives beforehand just to be safe).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So I've got a Buffalo NAS and during my recent house move, despite it being in its original box and polystyrene, it's gone bye bye. Google says it's a RAM, NIC or HDD controller error. SO bascially it's fucked. Now the drives are formatted in Linux and I'm aware that plugging them straight into my Windows machine will most likely wipe them. Does anyone know how I can get the data off of the drives as I REALLY don't want to lose it.

Cheers.
More details, model/software it's running, etc.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have a similar dilemma where my Synology NAS has been running for about 10 years - its not the disks I am worried about its the NAS unit itself failing - the disks are mirrored - I'm going to back everything up on a portable drive. But I was wondering if I could swap the drives directly into a new Synology NAS. I'm not sure if a newer controller would recognised the older drives.

Anyway, perhaps buying a new Buffalo NAS and putting the drives in might work? You could perhaps ask buffalo or their forums.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This is why I've never bought a NAS. Just got a couple of large drives in my 'doze PC. If shit breaks, other windows PC will do :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This is why I've never bought a NAS. Just got a couple of large drives in my 'doze PC. If shit breaks, other windows PC will do :)
This is why I use FreeNAS, commodity pc hardware costs less to replace than fancy enclosures

Embattle

FH is my second home
I have a similar dilemma where my Synology NAS has been running for about 10 years - its not the disks I am worried about its the NAS unit itself failing - the disks are mirrored - I'm going to back everything up on a portable drive. But I was wondering if I could swap the drives directly into a new Synology NAS. I'm not sure if a newer controller would recognised the older drives.

Anyway, perhaps buying a new Buffalo NAS and putting the drives in might work? You could perhaps ask buffalo or their forums.

There are limitations- DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So the housing is fucked. My mate got it to work round his but when I got it home I was having the same issue. Took the drives out, plugged them into his computer, booted into Ubuntu, formatted one drive to NTFS and transferrred the data across. Fortunately I've not lost anything. Ordered an ATX case to replace my Midi ATX so when that arrives I'll put both drives in when I transfer the stuff over.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
For the record, you can easily read Ext2/3/4 (basically Linux) file systems in Windows (writing to them is a bit more hit and miss) with something like this. I can't remember exactly which one I use but I've got a little Intel NUC with Windows on it that I take with me when I'm away from home and I happily plug Ext4 formatted drives into it that I fill up with media from a Ubuntu system.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Heh, I’ve been having similar thoughts of late; my Synology (212J) has been spinning away since 2011 and it’s the NAS itself I’m worried about, especially as some of the apps are going out of support (can’t run the latest Plex server for instance). Problem is I’ve got 5-6TB of data by now which isn’t cheap to back up (I’ve probably got about half of it backed up on a laptop and a couple of portable drives).

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Heh, I’ve been having similar thoughts of late; my Synology (212J) has been spinning away since 2011 and it’s the NAS itself I’m worried about, especially as some of the apps are going out of support (can’t run the latest Plex server for instance). Problem is I’ve got 5-6TB of data by now which isn’t cheap to back up (I’ve probably got about half of it backed up on a laptop and a couple of portable drives).
Backup strategies are hard.

I've been looking at Wasabi as it ticks both my "not much effort required" and "reasonably priced" requirements. It's $6/month/TB so would be under £60 a year for me but closer to £360 for someone like yourself :(

Financially you'd likely be better off with something like a Pro account on Mega.nz although god only knows how you accurately score that one for reliability.

You could always join me in following this I guess. The Helios 4 always interested me and this next one looks like a really good system. Buy the board, cage/case optional if you want it. Run your own ARM based distribution of choice, etc.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
my Synology (212J) has been spinning away since 2011 and it’s the NAS itself I’m worried about, .

Same as mine. Its become computer senescent - its so slow. I bought a 5Tb passport for about £86 from Amazon and copied all my files onto it. The link Embattle posted suggested that if the most recent DS software is running, the drives could be swapable into a new DS NAS (which I think is 6.2) - but I remember reading that the 212 will stop being updated in due course. Synologies are quite good, I might upgrade - but they aren't cheap. :|

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Same as mine. Its become computer senescent - its so slow. I bought a 5Tb passport for about £86 from Amazon and copied all my files onto it. The link Embattle posted suggested that if the most recent DS software is running, the drives could be swapable into a new DS NAS (which I think is 6.2) - but I remember reading that the 212 will stop being updated in due course. Synologies are quite good, I might upgrade - but they aren't cheap. :|
Synologies are OK but take an age to index, QNAP are supposed to be better but lack the trans-coding functionality if you need that . Also to get the data off the cheapest way would be to get a USB 3 sata external unit like this:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docking-Station-FIDECO-Offline-Function/dp/B07D8S7RN7/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3VO9OY4S9Z022&keywords=sata+external+hard+drive+docking+station&qid=1578896673&sprefix=sata+external+%2Caps%2C259&sr=8-5

Load of them around and they work great.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So DSM 7.0 should go to Beta soonish, using this list (Synology DSM 7.0 Supported Devices) you'll notice that 212j is no longer going to be supported thus you are correct 6.2 will be the last release for it. I've DS1815+ so I'll probably reach DSM 9.0 before loosing support but I also generally replace them since by then they are normally getting long in the tooth.

I still don't feel transcoding is that great so I tend to not worry about it any way since my uses don't really require it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom